The most embarassing thing you did wrong in a build?

SebastianThorn

So, what's the most embarassing mistake you've ever done when building a computer? Well, mine is that I forgot to plug the 8 pin connector in.. And when the computer didn't start I contacted a friend, and when I found out I didn't plug that in, it got pretty awkward.. :)

So many of these 

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

buying a second hand hd4870x2 and then buy watercooling for it and after i installed it all the gpu broke :L 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I put a 630 4 gb in a build with an 3570k

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

buying a second hand hd4870x2 and then buy watercooling for it and after i installed it all the gpu broke :L 

Oh, that must have sucked..

I bought a pre-built $1000 PC from Costco two years ago, when I could've built something much better with the same money if I had had the knowledge I have now.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

With like the second build I ever did I actually took a picture of the system running without a cooler installed (not with OS or anything, just showing the lights and fans turn on), noobiest picture ever :D Luckily nothing got damaged.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Open a computer do something and then when turning it on and doesn't realizing you forgot to plug it back in...

Desktop:  Cpu:                     3570K @ 4.2Ghz                    Graphics:          Windforce GTX 970             PSU: 1000 Watt EVGA             

Motherboard:       MSI GD55 Z77                        SSD:                 120gb patriot pyro se          KB:    K70 RGB                                     

Ram:                    8gb 2133MHz G skill               HDD:                 4 Tb                                    Mouse: M65 RGB                                                  

I forgot to put on thermal paste.

Shit, I did that on an old Extreme Edition Pentium 4, she was not happy lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Shit, I did that on an old Extreme Edition Pentium 4, she was not happy lol

Luckily, my overcloked settings didn't save, otherwise I would have been fucked.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Oh, that must have sucked..

yep 500 euro just wasted well not comletly i can now overclock my i3 to 4ghz 

-Adolf Hitler 

yep 500 euro just wasted well not comletly i can now overclock my i3 to 4ghz 

Which Core i3 and how high is the baseclock set at?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I also once tried to remove my PNY GTX 560 from my computer without first removing the power connectors.

And that, kids, is how I got my GTX 660.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

Considered a 4300 for a gaming build, then I smacked my face and went with an 8320.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Which Core i3 and how high is the baseclock set at?

pfff i am not sure but it might be something like 160 ish but i will check it tomorow if i dont forget it 

-Adolf Hitler 

I didn't tighten up my MPC-655 enough after installing a Bitspower mod top. I had a nice little puddle in the bottom of my Cosmos after leak testing. Nothing was damaged :P

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Commenting on this thread :| 

Character artist in the Games industry.

A couple of years ago (before I even really cared about tech) I bought a GT440 from my friend and carried it all the way home in my pocket. Not to mention I kept a firm grasp of it to prevent it from falling out, and I swapped it from left to right pocket because my hand kept getting sweating. I didn't know anything about static damage back then, but god am I ashamed of being that dumb now. 

I forgot to put on thermal paste.

I forgot to take the wire off from the Cpu cooler so when I started my computer it was on 100C..

pfff i am not sure but it might be something like 160 ish but i will check it tomorow if i dont forget it 

Is it Clarkdale (1st), Sandy Bridge (2nd), Ivy Bridge (3rd) or Haswell (4th)?

I've made two big mistakes.

One on my first build, I forgot to remove the plastic on the base of the heatsink.

The second was one my sixth or seventh build. I was building the PC (a Bitfenix Prodigy) on a small table (LACK from Ikea :D ), was practically finished, all hooked up when the right door panel fell from the table and took the USB3 header with him :(

Desktop : i5 3570K@4.3GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, Sapphire R9 290, 2*4Gb DDR3 1866mhz, Intel 335 180gb, 2*1tb, all wrapped up in a Corsair Air 540 and fed by a Seasonic Platinum P760,  Windows 8.1 Pro

Laptop : i7 4700MQ, 2*4gb DDR3 Sodimm 1600mhz, Nvidia GTX780m, 70% Gamut Full HD Matte Display, 2*128gb Sandisk Ultra Plus, 1*256gb mSATA Crucial M500, Fedora 20 & Windows 8.1 Pro

pulled one of my 290x's out and was wondering why it wasn't coming out easily until i trashed a HDMI port cable by it still being plugged in the back. Lucky absolutely no damage to the port its self.

Also rebuilding my loop I put the pump the wrong way so it was trying to go from Pump > up to res > rad > cpu > back to pump..... yeah it dint get very far and i was like omg wth.... then i realized, Had to drain my loop without wasting all the coolant i just put in and got a mouthful of it.... YUMMY!

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Commenting on this thread :|

What do you mean?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans