Modding waterblock to fit

I bought two ek-fc 970s and they don't fit my graphics card (it was like 20 bucks so I just hoped it would fit lol). Has anyone ever tried attaching a waterblock to a GPU by making new screw holes? if not how should I get the two to meet because it fits perfectly except the screws don't align. 

Zip ties perhaps

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Vice grips. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, bigman420 said:

I bought two ek-fc 970s and they don't fit my graphics card (it was like 20 bucks so I just hoped it would fit lol). Has anyone ever tried attaching a waterblock to a GPU by making new screw holes? if not how should I get the two to meet because it fits perfectly except the screws don't align. 

It’s not just the mounting holes but the height of the contact areas. It will not be able to fit unless you make some heavy modifications, by milling the areas as needed.

On 4/21/2018 at 2:06 PM, W-L said:

It’s not just the mounting holes but the height of the contact areas. It will not be able to fit unless you make some heavy modifications, by milling the areas as needed.

wdym, everything lines up properly and seems even all around, i bought some screws and nuts and im gonna try gorrilla glueing the nuts to the waterblock for new screw holes. dumb idea or no ? 

Just because it lines up with the pcb, as all reference card in the past couple series will do, they aren't made the same.  Component placement along with actual physical dimensions. As in where the block actually intended to touch, compared to where they parts that need touched on the card. Unless you only care about the gpu and not life of the card.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Just because it lines up with the pcb, as all reference card in the past couple series will do, they aren't made the same.  Component placement along with actual physical dimensions. As in where the block actually intended to touch, compared to where they parts that need touched on the card. Unless you only care about the gpu and not life of the card.

it has cooling on all of the ram chips and the metal makes perfect contact with the thermal pads as well as the vrms

9 minutes ago, bigman420 said:

it has cooling on all of the ram chips and the metal makes perfect contact with the thermal pads as well as the vrms

if that was the case, then glue away.

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

As Mick has said you need to check the heights to ensure they make proper contact with the appropriate thermal pads and such. Gorilla glue and some nuts won't be strong enough to sustain the mounting pressures that it will ensure and most likely pull right off the material. Give it a go and see but your most likely are going to have to drill and tap new threaded holes. 

maybe some pictures. :)

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

Thanks for the feedback guys, i think this should work. one of the screw holes does align, however im worried about the screw holes that dont work. If they touch the PCB couldnt that cause a shortage?. I thought about putting the thermal pads under them to stop that. As well the block doesnt full extend to the side of the pcb. So im worried about fittings not getting on (look at the image and tell me what you guys think this is my first watercool and i dont have any fittings to test this). Also what do you guys think about glueing the nuts on?. should i weld them on instead or is the glue strong enough ? 

(Ik that theres another vrm that needs cooling im just gonna chop the old heat sink and screw that back to the top of the card)

Snapchat-97198321.jpg

Snapchat-115051460.jpg

Snapchat-450393979.jpg

Snapchat-1566858994.jpg

Snapchat-1934598392.jpg

Easier and safer to just get a block for the card. 

7 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Easier and safer to just get a block for the card. 

thats also easier said than done, spent two years looking and i never found one

4 minutes ago, bigman420 said:

thats also easier said than done, spent two years looking and i never found one

You can find a universal vga cooler in 1 minute. I don’t know the card so I can’t say about a full cover block. 

should i do that and chop the old heat sink to cool the vrms, the block i need is an ek fc-970 tfx 

Looks like it's for a 970 mini pcb.

If the 4 screws line up around the GPU you could try just screwing those in with thermal pass on the vrm and memory and hope for the best.. you could try a dab of crap thermal paste on the thermal pads and GPU. Bolt down the screws. Under do it and see what the spread is like. If everything is touching then your all good. The down side if anything is touching on the GPU it's likely to short something. Likely where you have screw holes with the raised Metal. You could try putting some thermal paste very thinly on the raised screw bits on the water block your not using. When you bolt it together if it touches the pcb it's going to leave thermal paste when you open it. Wipe it off with isopropyl alcohol. If it touches the pcb you could put electrical tape over it provided it can take heat. If it's a surface mount device and it's raised you might have issues.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

Gamers Nexus use tape for thier thermal probes it can take high heat without melting and isn't conductive. But that's only going to work if it's touching pcb. Best of luck.

STORAGE 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 8:23 PM, Maticks said:

Gamers Nexus use tape for thier thermal probes it can take high heat without melting and isn't conductive. But that's only going to work if it's touching pcb. Best of luck.

thanks i did the thermal paste method and i sawed off the screw stand offs, im in the process of welding the nuts to the waterblock

On 4/21/2018 at 8:44 AM, Lurick said:

Zip ties perhaps

Not enough fittings? I heard zip ties work. No tubing? If you put enough zip ties next to each other and fill the gaps with hot glue, problem solved!

"Shashabooey" - Po

1 hour ago, CloroxBleach57 said:

Not enough fittings? I heard zip ties work. No tubing? If you put enough zip ties next to each other and fill the gaps with hot glue, problem solved!

could you elaborate a little more, instructions unclear got dick stuck in fitting