Wait for Oneplus 6 or Oneplus 5t now

NJHourigan

So I dropped my phone earlier and the screen is quickly deteriorating, I wouldn't be surprised if it's completely gone by tomorrow morning, so I'm going to have to get a new phone. The onplus 6 is coming out relatively soon, I reckon late mid to late may or early june, but bearing in mind I kinda need a phone do you guys think it's worth getting a oneplus 5t soon?

8 minutes ago, NJHourigan said:

So I dropped my phone earlier and the screen is quickly deteriorating, I wouldn't be surprised if it's completely gone by tomorrow morning, so I'm going to have to get a new phone. The onplus 6 is coming out relatively soon, I reckon late mid to late may or early june, but bearing in mind I kinda need a phone do you guys think it's worth getting a oneplus 5t soon?

One plus 6 has a notch so it's trash.

I'd just settle for a cheap OP5/t

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I was considering whether I should wait for the OnePlus 6 or get the 5T as well this week.

In the end I settled to get the 6, not only because it would be newer gen, but mainly because it should support 5G internet, as the technology standard should be finalised this June.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

9 minutes ago, Eibe said:

I was considering whether I should wait for the OnePlus 6 or get the 5T as well this week.

In the end I settled to get the 6, not only because it would be newer gen, but mainly because it should support 5G internet, as the technology standard should be finalised this June.

that doesn't mean its built into the phone

a phone needs to be capable of receiving 5g to use it, doesn't matter if the tech is out there if your phone can't receive data from it

20 minutes ago, General Winter said:

that doesn't mean its built into the phone

a phone needs to be capable of receiving 5g to use it, doesn't matter if the tech is out there if your phone can't receive data from it

Of course. But that's not what I said.

I said that it should be compatible as phones from the second half of 2018 should be supporting (as stated in the article).

If the OnePlus 6 specifically will support it, that we do not know. But I'd rather take my chances of having the possibility to have a 5G-capable phone than buying one that for sure cannot be compatible with a technology that will force me to upgrade to a new phone sooner than I would like to.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

18 minutes ago, Eibe said:

I said that it should be compatible as phones from the second half of 2018 should be supporting (as stated in the article).

If the OnePlus 6 specifically will support it, that we do not know. But I'd rather take my chances of having the possibility to have a 5G-capable phone than buying one that for sure cannot be compatible with a technology that will force me to upgrade to a new phone sooner than I would like to.

Why would they make it compatible? That's what you have to buy the One Plus 6t for.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

Why would they make it compatible? That's what you have to buy the One Plus 6t for.

19 minutes ago, Eibe said:

unless they say it has 5g, don't bet or assume it will have 5g

any company will take or as little time as they see it necessary, you'd be better off doing your HW on the phone rather than assume it will have 5g

56 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

To get an edge over competitors' phones?

It's just game theory for them. 

Say that phone A has compatibility and phone B does not. Then, at equal prices and specs, people will buy A, so it makes sense for the company that manufactures phone B to make it compatible.

However, you are also correct thinking it that way. Chances are that consumers who do not follow tech (majority of them) will not know about 5G until it's going to appear on carriers' phone plans. 

Unraid Server