help!! (server)

jameshumphries47

Okay so ill be getting my first rack mounted server in a few months and I have a few questions I would like to ask. This will be used primarily for storage and maybe some hosting. How do I set up a raid on a Dell PowerEdge? when I receive my server do I just plug it into my network switch and plug that into the back of my bt router? To access my server on my lappy do I just go Start, Computer, then what page would it be under? What hdd do you recommend me getting in it? and should I use a ssd boot drive? if so what os would you recommend put on it? And any other advise will be taken happily.

thanks in advance

~james

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

first of all, i would get windows server 2007 or 2012

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

kk thanks I was gonna get that or Linux :D

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

I suggest you start reading up about servers. 2008 R2 isint a bad system but This stuff can take years to learn,.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

okay thank you I have given my self 8 months to prepare I came on here to get me started and point me in the direction I should go to learn about servers. Thanks for your advise.

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

okay thank you I have given my self 8 months to prepare I came on here to get me started and point me in the direction I should go to learn about servers. Thanks for your advise.

Okay so ill be getting my first rack mounted server in a few months and I have a few questions I would like to ask. This will be used primarily for storage and maybe some hosting. How do I set up a raid on a Dell PowerEdge? when I receive my server do I just plug it into my network switch and plug that into the back of my bt router? To access my server on my lappy do I just go Start, Computer, then what page would it be under? What hdd do you recommend me getting in it? and should I use a ssd boot drive? if so what os would you recommend put on it? And any other advise will be taken happily.

thanks in advance

~james

I really, really think you should learn some basics before you spend the money on a Dell power edge. why not think of the services you want to implement, before picking the server you want to use? Dont you think that would be a good idea?

To just share files, and to host small websites I would recommend just building a small server that runs Ubuntu Server, or Debian and installing Apache, MySQL and PHP.  A tower form factor would give you the room to add more drives cheaply. You could add a SATA/SAS RAID controller to give you more stuff to play with.

A rack mount poweredge really isnt suited to being in an enviroment that isnt a stable tempereture and humidity, and without a very stable power source.

It really does seem like you have the idea of getting a server just to have a server and you dont really need one.

I really, really think you should learn some basics before you spend the money on a Dell power edge. why not think of the services you want to implement, before picking the server you want to use? Dont you think that would be a good idea?

To just share files, and to host small websites I would recommend just building a small server that runs Ubuntu Server, or Debian and installing Apache, MySQL and PHP.  A tower form factor would give you the room to add more drives cheaply. You could add a SATA/SAS RAID controller to give you more stuff to play with.

A rack mount poweredge really isnt suited to being in an enviroment that isnt a stable tempereture and humidity, and without a very stable power source.

It really does seem like you have the idea of getting a server just to have a server and you dont really need one.

thanks mate you have given me lot to think about, I have come on here for help and to learn of people who know and use servers, and there pro's and con's. 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

Another thing to think of is your poor internet connection, is the server going to be at home or are you colocating it? As you said BT Router I suspect home. I am not with BT but you might want to check your terms of service as hosting websites might work from your home network but wont be all that stable for one and secondly may cause you to break the terms.

I have a home server, it is a dodgy old dell workstation my brother gave me years ago after he grabbed it from work. its slow and clunky but after upgrading the storage it has made a lovely home server for file storage, downloads and basically anything I feel like playing with.

I do my webhosting off a vps as it wont impact my home internet, is always online and has a beastly fast connection.

I may upgrade my homeserver sometime in the future but for now it serves me quite well.

tl;dr Figure out what you need and then get what you need. dont put the cart before the horse.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

my internet isn't great but I wont be hosting google only small test websites for codeing then I would buy some rackspace in a datacentre :D

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

my internet isn't great but I wont be hosting google only small test websites for codeing then I would buy some rackspace in a datacentre :D

You could possibly build your own server. That's what I'm doing. There are some really good deals on low power LGA1366 Xeons. The L5630 is going for $120 each on eBay. It will really save you a fair bit of money.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

thanks in advance

~james

How to set it up? Well it depends on how you're going to use it.

Just for storage?

Running services? (Web, file sharing, user accounts/authentication, terminal server, etc.)

Computing?

Testing?

No solid answer can be given till what it is going to be used for is known.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

yeah just for storage, and im not building my own server coz I can pick up a dell poweredge 2950 for £100

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

yeah just for storage, and im not building my own server coz I can pick up a dell poweredge 2950 for £100

Ebay? And how many drives does it have?

I wouldn't recommend it, unless you must have server processing power. That thing is going to make a lot of noise and suck a lot of power. If it's just for storage, I'd get a cheapo H81 motherboard and throw a Haswell Celeron in it with 4GB RAM (2GB if using Linux). It'll cost more up front, but you'll draw very little power and won't make nearly as much noise. The power savings over the course of a year will more than pay for the upfront cost. You can pick up two 4TB drives and run them in RAID 1 off the motherboard chipset, or 4 drives and run a RAID 5 or 10 (I recommend 10).

To re-iterate IdeaStormer, we need more information.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

right ill explain a bit more, I don't need anything fancy I just want something for storage maybe an occasional website hosting, and maybe like a minecraft server for my bro or anything. like I said I don't need anything over the top, I am 13 I have about 4tb of stuff to store. power isn't an issue really as its not going to be on all the time, same for noise I guess!

Thanks for all the help guys

~james

p.s yes ebay I will buy without drives and go buy a few 1tb's Seagate's or WD's don't know yet, I want a rack mounted server, beacaue frankly why not? I not really have anywhere for a tower to go, and my room looks empty :D

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

temp and humidity is very stable in my house, as we have delicate pets, and we have to keep it stable

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}