VR headset or 3x curved monitor?

acv159357n

Hello dear people of the forums,

I am buiding a VR racing simulator with my father and we're not sure if we should choose a vr headset or 3 curved monitors. Money is not that much of an option, since we'll just save up for it. We'll mainly play F1 2017.

What kind of resolution would you sudgest for the monitors? 

What VR headset would be the best option?

We will be making and welding the simulation chassis ourselfs so that will be okey.

Also, does anyone know how well F1 2017 scales in sli/crossfire? Of will a 1080Ti be enough to run 3 1440p ultrawides?

well as amazing as the experience is in VR (it just feel a 100x better) you also have to consider that VR is far from ideal. screen door effect isn't very attractive, so i'd try and get that 4k headset linus tried (it's not really out yet though) and you'll run into other problems.

I'd expect a single 1080ti to be enough for either config because you don't need to hit over 100fps.

the big problem with VR is you WILL get motion sickness. you might not be the type to puke in roller coaster and you might be totaly fine reading a book or playing a handheld in a car but VR will give you motion sickness no matter what you do. if you're like me, like i described just before, you will get a very painful headache after 45min to 1h of playing. your brain is just confused that it sees motion but doesn't feel it. you will have to be ready to deal with this as a compromise.

I don't know what your situation is and this might be 100% fine for you, if you can only play in chunks of 30min anyway it's a non issue.

TLDR is VR is a much more amazing experience, single 1080Ti should do (you can add one if it under-performs later). but VR implies some health related tradoffs

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

11 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

well as amazing as the experience is in VR (it just feel a 100x better) you also have to consider that VR is far from ideal. screen door effect isn't very attractive, so i'd try and get that 4k headset linus tried (it's not really out yet though) and you'll run into other problems.

I'd expect a single 1080ti to be enough for either config because you don't need to hit over 100fps.

the big problem with VR is you WILL get motion sickness. you might not be the type to puke in roller coaster and you might be totaly fine reading a book or playing a handheld in a car but VR will give you motion sickness no matter what you do. if you're like me, like i described just before, you will get a very painful headache after 45min to 1h of playing. your brain is just confused that it sees motion but doesn't feel it. you will have to be ready to deal with this as a compromise.

I don't know what your situation is and this might be 100% fine for you, if you can only play in chunks of 30min anyway it's a non issue.

TLDR is VR is a much more amazing experience, single 1080Ti should do (you can add one if it under-performs later). but VR implies some health related tradoffs

Do you actually have a VR headset? IMO the screen door effect is way overstated. Yes I see it but in a good game you won't notice it and its such a minor issue it doesn't even appear on the radar. You have to realize this is first generation tech here really, and while still really developed for what it is there are going to be some, IMO, minor issues on the FIRST version. Whether the screen door effect is inherent or something that can be fixed with higher resolution is something I don't understand yet. 

Now I can't speak for everyone of course but for whatever reason I mostly immune to the motion sickness other people have experienced. The only thing that has made me slightly natiues is the sliding movement controls in Onward. Other than that it doesn't bother me at all. I'm just pointing out that its NOT across the board that everyone gets motion sickness and if you do it may actually depend more on the game than the experience in general.

Also I have a "regular" 1080 Turbo card from Asus and it runs perfectly fine. Honestly a 1070 would probably work as well though that I can't confirm. I feel like people are way overstating the requirements because its new or something. 

1 minute ago, LaughingCheeze said:

Do you actually have a VR headset? IMO the screen door effect is way overstated. Yes I see it but in a good game you won't notice it and its such a minor issue it doesn't even appear on the radar. You have to realize this is first generation tech here really, and while still really developed for what it is there are going to be some, IMO, minor issues on the FIRST version. Whether the screen door effect is inherent or something that can be fixed with higher resolution is something I don't understand yet. 

Now I can't speak for everyone of course but for whatever reason I mostly immune to the motion sickness other people have experienced. The only thing that has made me slightly natiues is the sliding movement controls in Onward. Other than that it doesn't bother me at all. I'm just pointing out that its NOT across the board that everyone gets motion sickness and if you do it may actually depend more on the game than the experience in general.

Also I have a "regular" 1080 Turbo card from Asus and it runs perfectly fine. Honestly a 1070 would probably work as well though that I can't confirm. I feel like people are way overstating the requirements because its new or something. 

i do have one. and i've used both options.

yeah so the motion sickness i'm referring to your driving sim specifically. the games that use teleportation motion really minimize the effect so you can play much longer. you can't do that for driving, obviously. it's not as bad a flying and sitting down while doing this makes it much less intense but it will still happen. ask a pilot... they know.

i meant the 1080Ti for the 4k headset a current headset will run fine off a 1060 (even a 3Gb)

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

1 minute ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

i do have one. and i've used both options.

yeah so the motion sickness i'm referring to your driving sim specifically. the games that use teleportation motion really minimize the effect so you can play much longer. you can't do that for driving, obviously. it's not as bad a flying and sitting down while doing this makes it much less intense but it will still happen. ask a pilot... they know.

i meant the 1080Ti for the 4k headset a current headset will run fine off a 1060 (even a 3Gb)

Ohh I haven't played any driving games yet..

Gotcha. Yeah a 1080TI is definitely recommended for 4k.

I have a 1060 3GB. Never. Again. 

Just now, LaughingCheeze said:

Ohh I haven't played any driving games yet..

Gotcha. Yeah a 1080TI is definitely recommended for 4k.

I have a 1060 3GB. Never. Again. 

xD it's a dumb card but it's not obviously under-performing in most titles if you're still playing at 1080p. and VR is not as demanding as people think it is because most games have very low graphic details. though driving sim does not fall in that category...

I still wouldn't recomend the 3gb card... i was just using it as an example

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

5 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

xD it's a dumb card but it's not obviously under-performing in most titles if you're still playing at 1080p. and VR is not as demanding as people think it is because most games have very low graphic details. though driving sim does not fall in that category...

I still wouldn't recomend the 3gb card... i was just using it as an example

Yeah. It's only good at 1080p. Then I went to 3440x1440. 3440x1440 is the resolution of the gods. Anyways its a good stand in until 4k becomes playable. Is there a standard for 21:9 4k? Hmmmmmm

EDIT: To clarify my stance is always to get both. I mean if you can afford to build a sim simulator you can probably afford a VR headset as well? :P

Just now, LaughingCheeze said:

Yeah. It's only good at 1080p. Then I went to 3440x1440. 3440x1440 is the resolution of the gods. Anyways its a good stand in until 4k becomes playable. Is there a standard for 21:9 4k? Hmmmmmm

i don't think 4k need to happen..... not until like 5 to 10 years, maybe. not for desktop screens at least. the clarity on a 1080p screen 20" away from my face is already very nice. going up to 1440p it's perfect. i can't even see the gain going up to 4k. games adding more new rendering methods and sick effects and graphics seem more interesting to me than just getting this higher resolution.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

The motion sickness is different for every person, i have no issues whatever when it comes to the subject in any game I tried including racing sims.

You should go triple monitor setup since the F1 series DO NOT support any sort of VR

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

20 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

i don't think 4k need to happen..... not until like 5 to 10 years, maybe. not for desktop screens at least. the clarity on a 1080p screen 20" away from my face is already very nice. going up to 1440p it's perfect. i can't even see the gain going up to 4k. games adding more new rendering methods and sick effects and graphics seem more interesting to me than just getting this higher resolution.

So your verdict is get the VR headset? :P

On 4/20/2018 at 3:00 AM, Cruorzy said:

The motion sickness is different for every person, i have no issues whatever when it comes to the subject in any game I tried including racing sims.

You should go triple monitor setup since the F1 series DO NOT support any sort of VR

i didn't know F1 didn't have any VR support. i thought racing sims focused on it more since it's easier for them to do without changing anything in the controls.

though for motion sickness i will have to disagree. yes there are some people much more sensitive to it, but everybody gets it with VR on full motion games (no teleporting) just like any pilot you talk to will attest that flying in certain conditions will trigger it. it's not something you can be immune to, personally I didn't even notice until i took the headset off after 2 and some hours and i really felt the splitting headache. my pilot friend noticed the symptoms very fast and took appropriate breaks from what he already knew about motion sickness and how to minimize it. it's not rocket science, it's more like Nintendo telling you you've been playing for 4h straight and maybe you should go outside lol. there is no huge health risk since we're not flying planes and we don't have the responsibility of 300 passengers but it still make part of the experience unpleasant.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

The Samsung Odyssey has a beautiful OLED screen with solid sound and mounting stuff built in. The higher res screen makes a HUGE difference over the Vive and Rift. 

My friend owns the Odyssey and I own the Lenovo Explorer. The Explorer is also an excellent experience but you do get what you pay for. 

VR is amazing for racing games. I don't get sick at all (in driving games) and no one else I know does, Idk what the guy above is doing wrong. 

My biggest gripe with VR is that at least in PCars 2 the distant track features aren't very sharp, so you have to know a track fairly well to be able to drive fast because you can't see in the far distance 

That's an F in the profile pic

Heyhey

Motion sickness is not a issue for me. I am just looking to see what gives the best experience. Ill go for 3 (or 4, one on too) curved monitors, since multiple people will use it. Ill go for a 1080ti (or 2, if sli scaling is okey ish) 

Will be sick

9 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

though for motion sickness i will have to disagree. yes there are some people much more sensitive to it, but everybody gets it with VR on full motion games (no teleporting) just like any pilot you talk to will attest that flying in certain conditions will trigger it. it's not something you can be immune to, personally I didn't even notice until i took the headset off after 2 and some hours and i really felt the splitting headache. my pilot friend noticed the symptoms very fast and took appropriate breaks from what he already knew about motion sickness and how to minimize it. it's not rocket science, it's more like Nintendo telling you you've been playing for 4h straight and maybe you should go outside lol. there is no huge health risk since we're not flying planes and we don't have the responsibility of 300 passengers but it still make part of the experience unpleasant.

You can disagree and I never said i'm immune to it.

Anyway just did a 4-5 hours run of Onward no issues.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored