To get Threadripper or wait for TH2 ?

Is it worth to get TH now or with TH around the corner its better to hold. Any relase date is known for TH2 ?

how much will you really care for the extra 200MHz? unless what you're really looking forward to is the better power efficiency? there isn't a good enough reason for you to wait at least a month (since we have no info on TH2 yet) without your system when we know the gains are nice but not very big.

if you need it now buy it now. you can keep waiting "ad vitam aeternam"

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

If you expect more features from Thread Ripper (let's call it TR) 2nd gen then i suggest wait but there are already a price cut to the TR 1900X that makes it at $449, so that is something if you want a feature rich 8c/16t processor

Potentially there would be more PCIe lanes to the 2nd gen?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

I'm not in a big rush but I t would be grate if around end of July I could get new TH2. How big is chance that AMD might release new TH2 around that date?

I'm aiming for the top clock speed and # of cores model (doing lot of 3d rendering). And yes the less power consuming is big plus for me.

46 minutes ago, lukx said:

I'm not in a big rush but I t would be grate if around end of July I could get new TH2. How big is chance that AMD might release new TH2 around that date?

I'm aiming for the top clock speed and # of cores model (doing lot of 3d rendering). And yes the less power consuming is big plus for me.

maybe, but not likely. they are currently slated for "the second half of the year. " so any point from July 1st onward

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

13 hours ago, lukx said:

Absolutely not happening.... Second half of the year is pretty vague but if we want to be scientific about it and maque a statistical model. Simple bell curve over the secind half of the year and you're 95% sure it won't come out in july

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz