Question about this website's URL

KhandakeF

I just noticed that the URL goes main/forum/Off-topic or main/forum/General-Discussion for all the different sections.

What is that 'forum' for? I get that main is the homepage, but what's the 'forum' for if all the different sections get listed anyway after the 'forum' one

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

On the webserver itself, these webpages are stored in file directories identical to the URL. All of the web pages for the individual subforums are located within a file directory called "forum." It's technically not necessary but having a defined structure allows for easier management.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

The URL gets passed to a piece of code called the dispatcher, which looks at it and decides what to output. If the URL was just /main/50-off-topic/, the dispatcher wouldn't know whether that is forum 50 (which is Off Topic), topic 50 (which was posted in January 2013 about AMD's new processors), image 50 in the gallery, etc. Having the /forum/ (or /topic/, /gallery/image/, etc) part lets the dispatcher know what type of content you want.

The URL structure doesn't correspond in any useful way to pages that you can actually visit - the URL for this topic isn't an extension of the URL for Off Topic. Instead, the structure of the URLs is designed to make it easy for the dispatcher to decide what page you want.

HTTP/2 203