Can I get an egpu for my laptop!?

Can I get a EGPU for my laptop without thunderbolt 3 since I don't have one.

I have a wifi card tho.

laptop specs: HD Intel 5500, Core i7 5500, 1600x900 display, 6gb of ram.

I heard that some laptops are not compatible with a EGPU. Also do you guys know any websites that make custom EGPU enclosures since I am planning to be taking this on the go, but prefer to keep everything housed in a small form factor enclosure that way I won't have wires sticking out everywhere from the PSU or the dell da-2 that I will most likley be using to power a 680 or something like that.

It may be technically possible if you have a miniPCIe slot in your laptop, but it's really not worth the trouble.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

You can buy adapters to attach a gpu through the pcie slot that the wifi card is attached to but as for buying one they are all thunderbolt

System Specs

CPU: I7-5820k   MOBO:Asus X99 strix   RAM: 32gb corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz   GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980TI  PSU: Corsair RM1000i 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mg7k2R

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It may be technically possible if you have a miniPCIe slot in your laptop, but it's really not worth the trouble.

I really don't know how much performance I will be getting out of it too be honest. Would it be slower than thunderbolt? if it's slower than thinderbolt then its really no use, but I really hate gaming on a hd intel 5500

4 minutes ago, BryceJonathan said:

You can buy adapters to attach a gpu through the pcie slot that the wifi card is attached to but as for buying one they are all thunderbolt

Do you think it would perform better than thunderbolt 3 or will it be way worse. I might as well just save up for a $1500 gaming laptop.

1 minute ago, PricklyAlien said:

Do you think it would perform better than thunderbolt 3 or will it be way worse. I might as well just save up for a $1500 gaming laptop.

It would be about the same performance as thunderbolt 3 but much less convenient if you want it to be portable.

System Specs

CPU: I7-5820k   MOBO:Asus X99 strix   RAM: 32gb corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz   GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980TI  PSU: Corsair RM1000i 

1 minute ago, BryceJonathan said:

It would be about the same performance as thunderbolt 3 but much less convenient if you want it to be portable.

I got that covered with a custom EGPU enclosure since I will be using a dell da-2 for power instead of a PSU

Just now, PricklyAlien said:

I got that covered with a custom EGPU enclosure since I will be using a dell da-2 for power instead of a PSU

Not really the issue I was getting at, I was talking more about getting access to the pcie slot everytime and if you are getting a custom case is it really cheaper than just buying a new laptop with a gpu

System Specs

/ | / /__  _________/ / /_____ _/ (_) /___  __
  /  |/ / _ \/ ___/ __  / __/ __ `/ / / __/ / / /
 / /|  /  __/ /  / /_/ / /_/ /_/ / / / /_/ /_/ / 
/_/ |_/\___/_/   \__,_/\__/\__,_/_/_/\__/\__, /  
                                        /____/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, 「Neͥrdͣtͫality」noice to meet you... :3

Just now, BryceJonathan said:

Not really the issue I was getting at, I was talking more about getting access to the pcie slot everytime and if you are getting a custom case is it really cheaper than just buying a new laptop with a gpu

lol, I completely forgot about that part. you are actually right. With the amount it will cost me to buy the tools and adapters for this laptop I could easily spend that on a new laptop.

25 minutes ago, PricklyAlien said:

Can I get a EGPU for my laptop without thunderbolt 3 since I don't have one.

I have a wifi card tho.

laptop specs: HD Intel 5500, Core i7 5500, 1600x900 display, 6gb of ram.

I heard that some laptops are not compatible with a EGPU. Also do you guys know any websites that make custom EGPU enclosures since I am planning to be taking this on the go, but prefer to keep everything housed in a small form factor enclosure that way I won't have wires sticking out everywhere from the PSU or the dell da-2 that I will most likley be using to power a 680 or something like that.

One possibility would be using steam in home gaming to get around heat and size limitations that come with a laptop, however it doesn't work while not connected to your in home network. 

26 minutes ago, PricklyAlien said:

Or use your current laptop as a laptop and build a pc for the gaming.

8 minutes ago, cflanders said:

One possibility would be using steam in home gaming to get around heat and size limitations that come with a laptop, however it doesn't work while not connected to your in home network. 

How about the Predator 17. here is the link. This laptop has some pretty great thermals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6S4A2U/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

1 minute ago, Supportsneedlove said:

I cant use desktops and am trying not to until I am completely finished with college.

2 minutes ago, Supportsneedlove said:

and I move around from state to state alot.