Worth to upgrade from gtx 460 1gb (256-bit) to gt 1030 2gb ?

i have a pretty old pc, the 8-year old one. It features core i7 920, Asus P6T motherboard, 8 gigs of ram ddr3, and gtx 460 1gb (msi hawk version), seasonic x660 psu.  

After hearing the new that the 400 series discontinued to release their driver support, so i decided to upgrade my 8-year old gtx 460 to gt 1030 2gb, cuz it has 2 gb vram and much lower power consumption :) which i could get for 64 £

Will i get significant fps boost in some game like GTA V , battlefield 1 or crysis 3 ? :) Also, my gtx 460 is struggling at 1080p, in some new games like PUBG and far cry 5

Old gtx 460 1gb: 

new one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GeForce-Profile-Express-Graphics/dp/B0719CR59P/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1524073239&sr=1-1&keywords=gt+1030

the 400 and 500 series have just been decommissioned and are now considered Legacy products, so yeah, go for a Pascal card (i'd suggest saving more for a GTX 1050.)

1030s aren't worth the money, the least you should buy is a 1050. As for pubg, that game is such a piece of trash in terms of optimization that even 1080tis struggle on max settings, so yeah.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, KyleandThings said:

you won't be playing games like PUBG with a 1030, my friend with a 1050ti barely gets playable fps

That's more of an optimization problem then an actual hardware issue.  PUBG is almost as badly optimized as the Half-Life 2 engine.

not really an upgrade, they perform similarly.

I swapped my brother's GTX 470 for a GT 1030 because his 470 was giving him BSODs and he didn't want an old/used GPU, so only solution with his budget and needs was a 1030. I had underclocked and undervolted the 470 to try to mitigate the problem and after doing a few bench, the 470 (underclocked) was still on top but now at least, he's not getting random BSOD.

GTX 460 vs GT 1030 (those aren't super accurate but should give you a rough idea) ;

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=31&cmp[]=3757

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GT-1030-vs-Nvidia-GTX-460/m283726vs2167

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It would be an appreciable upgrade, but it may not help much with newer games on higher settings or resolutions.

But probably the most thankful if you were to upgrade is your electric bill.  Even a 460 is very inefficient.

Just now, Ali Khalid said:

no gtx 1060 is the minimum

Well that's a bit overkill.  I have a GTX 1050 and it's doing great, no overclock or anything, the only problem it has are older games that don't know what "A Pascal" is.

2 minutes ago, Ali Khalid said:

no gtx 1060 is the minimum

huh, no. "The minimum" is subjective and isn't the same for everyone.

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

huh, no. "The minimum" is subjective and isn't the same for everyone.

Yeah, you don't need a 1060 in a HTPC, or even a budget rig, especially since even the 1060 3gb would probably cost more than the rest of the entire system.

16 minutes ago, huybv1999 said:

so i decided to upgrade my 8-year old gtx 460 to gt 1030 2gb

I'd suggest you rather get a used GTX 950 than a GT 1030, it can be had for about the same price on ebay and also performes a lot better. Or get basically any other semi-modern GTX card, but not a 1030. 

16 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

almost as badly optimized as the Half-Life 2 engine.

Now wheres that coming from? Don't really know what to say, but I've had the impression that Source games where rather well optimized... I mean every half decent system gives you about a million fps in cs:go.

1 minute ago, black0utm1rage said:

Now wheres that coming from? Don't really know what to say, but I've had the impression that Source games where rather well optimized... I mean every half decent system gives you about a million fps in cs:go.

Try running TF2 on a 1050 and behold! 40 FPS, even if my R7 260x got 250.

41 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

I'd suggest you rather get a used GTX 950 than a GT 1030, it can be had for about the same price on ebay and also performes a lot better. Or get basically any other semi-modern GTX card, but not a 1030. 

even a 750ti outperforms the 1030 noticeably

1 hour ago, huybv1999 said:

i have a pretty old pc, the 8-year old one. It features core i7 920, Asus P6T motherboard, 8 gigs of ram ddr3, and gtx 460 1gb (msi hawk version), seasonic x660 psu.  

After hearing the new that the 400 series discontinued to release their driver support, so i decided to upgrade my 8-year old gtx 460 to gt 1030 2gb, cuz it has 2 gb vram and much lower power consumption :) which i could get for 64 £

Will i get significant fps boost in some game like GTA V , battlefield 1 or crysis 3 ? :) Also, my gtx 460 is struggling at 1080p, in some new games like PUBG and far cry 5

Old gtx 460 1gb: 

new one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GeForce-Profile-Express-Graphics/dp/B0719CR59P/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1524073239&sr=1-1&keywords=gt+1030

Even if it ran games better (I'm pretty sure it does but I can't tell by how much but you can see by yourself just type GTX 460 vs GT 1030 in google and you will find lots of comparisons with these two cards. I like techpowerup gpu database) I don't think it's worth the upgrade to the 1030

You have a really good CPU so if you want a significant upgrade I'd go with a 1050 ti at least but that cpu could do 1060 or even 1070 no problem.

I mean, you don't want to get a low end graphics card and be constantly having to upgrade you are going to spend more money that way

According to passmark synthetic benchmark, the GTX 460 will outperform the 1030.

Futuremark says the opposite. They are in the same ballpark performance wise IMO

You may need the 2GB VRAM for some applications though.

Neither of these will do PUBG to a playable degree.

I recommend saving up for something better with AT LEAST 2 GB of GDDR5 (New or Used depending on your preference)

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

1 minute ago, BarackOBatman said:

According to passmark and Futuremark synthetic benchmarks, the GTX 460 will outperform the 1030.

You may need the 2GB VRAM for some applications though.

Neither of these will do PUBG to a playable degree.

I recommend saving up for something better with AT LEAST 2 GB of GDDR5 (New or Used depending on your preference)

You just said it: synthetic benchmarks

Real word performance can vary in a very meaningful way, since new titles are designed for current hardware in first place.

I'm pretty sure the 1030 could outperform the 460 no problem, as the 1030 is better than the 750 and the 750 is better than the 650, you get the point.

Now I wouldn't say you need 2GB of VRAM, 1GB should still be playable as long as the gpu is powerful enough just don't throw a bunch of high res textures and shadows at it because you will start to see the impact of VRAM

and the 1030 has 2G of GDDR5 so I didn't get the last one.

Honestly, 2Gb VRAM isn't worth it IMO for 1080p gaming on above Low settings. In 2018, I would consider the absolute minimum to be 3Gb and the recommended minimum to be 4Gb.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

You just said it: synthetic benchmarks

Real word performance can vary in a very meaningful way, since new titles are designed for current hardware in first place.

I'm pretty sure the 1030 could outperform the 460 no problem, as the 1030 is better than the 750 and the 750 is better than the 650, you get the point.

Now I wouldn't say you need 2GB of VRAM, 1GB should still be playable as long as the gpu is powerful enough just don't throw a bunch of high res textures and shadows at it because you will start to see the impact of VRAM

and the 1030 has 2G of GDDR5 so I didn't get the last one.

I edited my post, turns out 1030 wins on futuremark. LOL

OP says he wants to play GTA V, Crysis 3 which are older, and may play nicer with the GTX 460.

On the other hand, BF1 and PUBG will no doubt run better on the 1030

I get the point

I know some games will be completely fine at lower setting (ex Overwatch) with 1 GB, and some need at least 2 GB. Also going with 1GB these days is such a bad idea... very "Un" futureproof

the last one is an alternative to both the GT 1030 and the GTX 460... I mean that they should go with something with better performance than the 1030 if they want to play the games they mentioned.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

1 minute ago, BarackOBatman said:

the last one is an alternative to both the GT 1030 and the GTX 460... I mean that they should go with something with better performance than the 1030 if they want to play the games they mentioned.

The problem is that there's a wide range of 2GB GDDR5 cards to choose from, there's the HD 4870 and the 1050, both 2GB GDDR5 cards but very different in therms of performance

Anyway, if he wants to play demanding titles going with a powerful and modern gpu is the way to go. I recommended 1050 ti 4GB so VRAM won't be an issue. But 1060 3GB has still more VRAM than his current vga and performs much better

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I would consider the absolute minimum to be 3Gb and the recommended minimum to be 4Gb.

Thats wrong. 2gb works just fine in 99% of games. Take the GTX 960 as an example, still runs every game in 1080p at medium to high settings.

Just now, 17030644 said:

The problem is that there's a wide range of 2GB GDDR5 cards to choose from, there's the HD 4870 and the 1050, both 2GB GDDR5 cards but very different in therms of performance

Anyway, if he wants to play demanding titles going with a powerful and modern gpu is the way to go. I recommended 1050 ti 4GB so VRAM won't be an issue. But 1060 3GB has still more VRAM than his current vga and performs much better

I agree completely.

I think either of these would do nicely :)

6 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

Thats wrong. 2gb works just fine in 99% of games. Take the GTX 960 as an example, still runs every game in 1080p at medium to high settings.

EDIT: Just realized you said 2GB is fine. not 1GB.  So nevermind...

OP says he wants the play PUBG, Crysis 3, BF1, and GTAV. so ignore the other 99% of games...

Crysis, GTAV, and BF1 specify at least 1GB VRAM

But PUBG recommends at least 2GB

Speaking from experience, this game performs very poorly on 1 GB ( I have played on a GTX 470) its just too hard to stay competitive. You are at a disadvantage if you play this game with 1GB.

Edited by BarackOBatman