i7 8700k Cooling Advice

Tahmidc
1 hour ago, 17030644 said:

Not thar bad but I'd stick to 240GB SSD, 8GB of RAM and go with a 1080 ti

unless you are editing or something

I will be using the PC for rendering videos for Youtube in 1440p / 4k.

1 hour ago, Alcam said:

Not heating but rather overheating causes damage to the CPU. 90 degrees although hot, is not a damaging temperature; any temp that your CPU chooses to run under isn't damaging, it turns itself off when a threat is imminent. 

As for cooling; you can get air coolers such as the DRP4 and Noctua NH-U14S / NH-D15 that in most cases out perform most consumer grade AIO water coolers that start at an even higher price point. So what I'm saying is with today's air cooling capabilities you can get brilliant temperatures whilst saving money. There's also the bonus of their being little to no maintenance involved with looking after an air cooler over water cooling. This isn't a huge nag just something to bear in mind. 

Like you just kinda said, we have no idea what this machine is going to be used for so suggesting a straight up 50%  RAM and SSD storage decrease isn't a brilliant comment my dude. 

Thanks for the input, its just that I see so many mixed reviews about the i7-8700k's temps and how they are through the roof on stock speeds with air coolers etc. Just got to try it myself I guess. Will be going for the DRP4.

Just now, Tahmidc said:

Thanks for the input, its just that I see so many mixed reviews about the i7-8700k's temps and how they are through the roof on stock speeds with air coolers etc. Just got to try it myself I guess. Will be going for the DRP4.

Yeah the reason results vary so much is because there are an infinite amount of variables and setups to test under. It's best to find a benchmark that has similar enough specs to the setup you want and finding out the numbers. I'm certain the DRP4 will do an excellent job at cooling your chip. Enjoy :)

I'll try help you out. I'm partial to certain vendors but I'll never pretend to know something I don't. Stay cool. 

33 minutes ago, Alcam said:

Yeah the reason results vary so much is because there are an infinite amount of variables and setups to test under. It's best to find a benchmark that has similar enough specs to the setup you want and finding out the numbers. I'm certain the DRP4 will do an excellent job at cooling your chip. Enjoy :)

Thanks for the reassurances 

5 hours ago, JabroniBaloney said:

You've never heard of an aio leak? Do you live under a rock? They're rare, but happen. Pretty disingenuous for you to state that with the LMG staff tag on your name.

But the biggest issues imo with aios is pumps die and more moving parts = more points of failure. 

In recent history with one from a reputable brand, no.  And to someone I actually know in real life, never.  I have heard of pumps dying in quite a few after 3ish years of use though.

6 hours ago, Tahmidc said:

I heard that heating is the main reason why a CPU will be damaged?

In regards to money, that is not an issue, my budget for an cooler was £130. I'm shopping via amazon as I wanted prime delivery and good customer service (returns etc...)  Could you recommend me the best AIO for my budget of £130.

I'm not sure what the numbers are but there's no common cause of cpu failure. They degrade from use and higher voltage / temps can accelerate that but they still end up being the most reliable component in a computer in most cases. It's not something you should have to worry much about.

Why an AIO in particular?

You can hit 4.7ghz with a cheaper air cooler. Some good options include:

Windale 6: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ntwqqs/fsp-group-windale-6-600-cfm-cpu-cooler-ac602

Macho Rev. B: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/4TCrxr/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machorevb

Since the Windale is a bit taller than the other coolers mentioned so far, it'd be good to double check the cooler clearance allowed in your case.

3 hours ago, Tahmidc said:

Many of these high temp accounts are from Multicore Enhancement on Asus motherboards being enabled by default which is effectively an auto oc which tends to be aggressive on voltage.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

In recent history with one from a reputable brand, no.  And to someone I actually know in real life, never.  I have heard of pumps dying in quite a few after 3ish years of use though.

So no AIO in recent history from a reputable brand has leaked? Hah! You're a joke.

On 4/18/2018 at 12:47 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

Overkill is in the eye of the beholder, some would say getting an 8700K period is overkill so its whatever you feel like/can afford

With the right tools the risk is low but non-zero.  If you decide to go this route I recommend getting a cheap processor, like a 3rd gen i3 or something like that (that's the first gen that used paste instead of solder) and practice there to get a feel for it.  You'll need to do this if you want sub-60C under full load, but even if a processor is getting up to 90C under full load it's totally safe.  Start by just seeing how far you can push it with stock paste and some decent cooling (probably over 5GHz easily), then get hooked on the drug that is overclocking - delidding and liquid metal will follow in due time haha

tfw you "practiced" on your 7700K... and used weight plates to re-seal it :D

but the temps did drop significantly, so 100% recommend

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

4 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

tfw you "practiced" on your 7700K... and used weight plates to re-seal it :D

My first de-lid was on an i9-7980XE, talk about butt clenching. So do as I say, not as I do haha

12 hours ago, JabroniBaloney said:

So no AIO in recent history from a reputable brand has leaked? Hah! You're a joke.

You're blowing this way out of proportion. You need to chill out. l, I've never heard of an AIO leaking straight out of the box, but like you say I'm sure that 1 in a million might do; mistakes can be made. Be cool. 

All puns were intended. 

I'll try help you out. I'm partial to certain vendors but I'll never pretend to know something I don't. Stay cool. 

15 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

My first de-lid was on an i9-7980XE, talk about butt clenching. So do as I say, not as I do haha

lol nice. I can't tell if it'd be more or less nerve-racking being a company asset...

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

17 hours ago, JabroniBaloney said:

Why it is true that once in a bluemoon AIO's do leak. If you buy from a manufacturer with a good warranty they will actually replace any hardware that gets damaged.

37 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Why it is true that once in a bluemoon AIO's do leak. If you buy from a manufacturer with a good warranty they will actually replace any hardware that gets damaged.

Corsair seems to great about that. Especially when leaky AIOs get posted on Reddit. They swoop in and handle it.