Laptop GPU running very very very hot

rony59turbo

Hi. So i just repasted my XPS 15 9550 (and bent the heat pipes but that doesn't really effect the temps) and i've realized that my GPU is still running very hot. Before i repasted, my 960m would hit around 92C while gaming. Now it hits 90C, which is an improvement but thats still very hot. The CPU is only hitting 75C which is acceptable, but 90C is really hot. I've even tried underclocking in MSI afterburner with no luck.

3 minutes ago, rony59turbo said:

Hi. So i just repasted my XPS 15 9550 (and bent the heat pipes but that doesn't really effect the temps) and i've realized that my GPU is still running very hot. Before i repasted, my 960m would hit around 92C while gaming. Now it hits 90C, which is an improvement but thats still very hot. The CPU is only hitting 75C which is acceptable, but 90C is really hot. I've even tried underclocking in MSI afterburner with no luck.

Had the same GPU in a Asus Laptop and gave up trying to OC it.  It just overheats and then throttles.  Honestly, I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but the 900 series laptop GPUs all suck.  They aren't capable of handling any serious games at any serious FPS.

22 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Had the same GPU in a Asus Laptop and gave up trying to OC it.  It just overheats and then throttles.  Honestly, I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but the 900 series laptop GPUs all suck.  They aren't capable of handling any serious games at any serious FPS.

See the thing is mine doesn't throttle. It gets pegged at 90C, max memory and core clock, and max usage

1 hour ago, rony59turbo said:

and bent the heat pipes but that doesn't really effect the temps

if you bent the heat pipes, then yes, it's more likely the temp is being effected if it's not making proper contact with the die.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒