Legality of making and selling Custom Waterblocks

eugkra33

I will soon be the proud owner of a CNC routers. something like one of these if you are not familiar.

I know lots of hobbyists have tried to make money using these, and some are pretty successful. If you can find market for your creations, it doesn't seem like a bad little side business. But I realize water cooling is a pretty niche market for people willing to spend $300--500 on all copper loops. I know EK is starting to build cheaper aluminum ones.

When I was shopping for parts, there were plenty of cheap 240-360mm aluminum radiators, but practically every GPU and CPU block I could find was pure copper, or nickle plated copper. I'm planning to use all aluminum because it's easier to work with and costs 20% the price, but still gives 98% the performance. After creating a bill of materials I realized I could build an aluminum GPU water blocks for under $25, a CPU water blocks for under $15. A lot of the cheap Chinese stuff just looks unappealing to me, and sometimes down right sketchy and not something I would ever put in my PC. Plus some of the parts look ugly as sin. I can build and put a full loop together for around $95 (not including my labor) if I sourced the rest of the parts well. 

The only problem is fittings so far. Can't find much aluminum out there.

Also found a patent link through google, which seems like an attempt by someone to patent the entire concept of water cooling for PCs all together. It seems like a pretty generic thing to patent, so I was surprised when I found it.

I've been informed it's out of date and irrelevant because it's too generic. But I know nothing about the legal implications of all of this, so it's something I'm trying to research right now. I might contact patent lawyer, but I'm not sure if it's something to even worry about.

Would Nvidia and AMD send me a cease and desist for selling something that is supposed to be compatible with their product? Do I need their blessing? 

Would EK come after me for some reason? Asetek has this? There are a few places out there doing custom work, and they seem to be doing fine.

Anyone think I'm crazy? I'm not planning to get rich. It's mostly gonna start off as a hobby with not much profit.

1 minute ago, eugkra33 said:

I will soon be the proud owner of a CNC routers. something like one of these if you are not familiar.

I know lots of hobbyists have tried to make money using these, and some are pretty successful. If you can find market for your creations, it doesn't seem like a bad little side business. But I realize water cooling is a pretty niche market for people willing to spend $300--500 on all copper loops. I know EK is starting to build cheaper aluminum ones.

When I was shopping for parts, there were plenty of cheap 240-360mm aluminum radiators, but practically every GPU and CPU block I could find was pure copper, or nickle plated copper. I'm planning to use all aluminum because it's easier to work with and costs 20% the price, but still gives 98% the performance. After creating a bill of materials I realized I could build an aluminum GPU water blocks for under $25, a CPU water blocks for under $15. A lot of the cheap Chinese stuff just looks unappealing to me, and sometimes down right sketchy and not something I would ever put in my PC. Plus some of the parts look ugly as sin. I can build and put a full loop together for around $95 (not including my labor) if I sourced the rest of the parts well. 

The only problem is fittings so far. Can't find much aluminum out there.

Also found a patent link through google, which seems like an attempt by someone to patent the entire concept of water cooling for PCs all together. It seems like a pretty generic thing to patent, so I was surprised when I found it.

I've been informed it's out of date and irrelevant because it's too generic. But I know nothing about the legal implications of all of this, so it's something I'm trying to research right now. I might contact patent lawyer, but I'm not sure if it's something to even worry about.

Would Nvidia and AMD send me a cease and desist for selling something that is supposed to be compatible with their product? Do I need their blessing? 

Would EK come after me for some reason? Asetek has this? There are a few places out there doing custom work, and they seem to be doing fine.

Anyone think I'm crazy? I'm not planning to get rich. It's mostly gonna start off as a hobby with not much profit.

Why would that be illegal?

1 minute ago, eugkra33 said:

-SNIP-

For a general waterblock probably not, it's all aftermarket stuff the patents Asetek holds are for the AIO type units with an integrate pump block system. Just note your going to need to do a fair but of R&D to get the block correct for each GPU. Just note CNC routers like those aren't capable to creating the super fine fins if your looking to push cooling performance to the max. 

14 minutes ago, W-L said:

For a general waterblock probably not, it's all aftermarket stuff the patents Asetek holds are for the AIO type units with an integrate pump block system. Just note your going to need to do a fair but of R&D to get the block correct for each GPU. Just note CNC routers like those aren't capable to creating the super fine fins if your looking to push cooling performance to the max. 

17 minutes ago, CyberFern0 said:

Why would that be illegal?

Acetek patented adding radiators with integrated pumps I believe (I'd have to find that again). And I'm pretty sure they also own the rights to the water pumps on AIOs which are mounted directly into the CPU block.

18 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes, I'm working on a strategy for the fin cutting. Most companies don't want to disclose how they do it, but I'm pretty sure it's a with a slitting saw.

slitting.png

21 minutes ago, eugkra33 said:

Acetek patented adding radiators with integrated pumps I believe (I'd have to find that again). And I'm pretty sure they also own the rights to the water pumps on AIOs which are mounted directly into the CPU block.

I believe on top of that they hold the rights nowadays to the mounting system itself with that right of locking tabs as there are other OEM's within the same market such as Cool IT which made units like the original H100.

19 minutes ago, eugkra33 said:

Yes, I'm working on a strategy for the fin cutting. Most companies don't want to disclose how they do it, but I'm pretty sure it's a with a slitting saw.

It's going to take a long time but yes most use slitting saws to cut the fins or a gang of slitting saws, we do it in industry a lot for heatsinks arrays. The best way to get ultra thin fins is skiving, Swiftech's new apogee SKF units use that method of manufacturing. 

http://www.swiftech.com/apogee-skf-heirloom-series.aspx

I don't think Nvidia or AMD would be coming after you anytime soon.

Water block manufacturers, on the other hand, might get pretty pissed if your product happens to look an awful lot like theirs.

And of course, should your product fail inside someone's system, they're going to mad at you.

So there are a few risks to be mindful of, but it could be worth it.

If you decide to go through with it, keep me posted.

4 hours ago, eugkra33 said:

You just make it and sell it with your own work and materials, what’s the big deal.

6 hours ago, CyberFern0 said:

You just make it and sell it with your own work and materials, what’s the big deal.

Patents. Consumer protection laws. Me creating a product which I claim is compatible with a multi-billion dollar companies product without their direct consent. Other things I can't think of. 

As an example, it's technically illegal to sell unpasteurized milk where I live because of the health and safety concerns. You can't just make and sell sandwiches to hundreds of people. There are regulations and inspections. Of course computer equipment is different, but I'm still helping place conductive electronics and water into someone's high voltage computer without any safety testing from a designated official source. Of course I will test it all myself, but most consumer products have some more regulations.

If you make some WC gear and sell it to someone, that item then leaks and the customer comes back to you and blames you, you need to be covered or you could be sued for damages.  

Its not as simple as buying a machine and making something to sell, most countries/states will want/require you to be a registered company, business insurance, and you need to have a plan if something does go wrong and the customer comes back to you.   Its not cheap starting a business.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.