Synology or Buffalo?

Hi,

I want to get a NAS for just foto and documents backup, no movies or tv shows etc.

I am debatting between the Synology DS216se (2 bay) or the BUFFALO LinkStation 441D (4 bay). The price difference is only ~70 euro's which is not a problem for me. What I do not know, and cannot find really much on, is which brand has the better overall experience/features? I hear a lot of positive things about Synology but I do not hear much about Buffalo in general. 

What are you guys' experiences with these brands for a NAS?

Cheers.

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

I recommend Qnap. Better value.

Look into it. I had a Synology and now I have a Qnap. Sofware wise almost the same. 

Qnap better specs for the same money.

4 hours ago, KupuAnd1 said:

I recommend Qnap. Better value.

Look into it. I had a Synology and now I have a Qnap. Sofware wise almost the same. 

Qnap better specs for the same money.

Thanks, I will take a look.

8 hours ago, Zandvliet said:

Thanks, I will take a look.

also note that what the other guy said is nor completely true, synology is especially in terms of software miles ahead and most reviews also point this out as their strongest point.

also especially for the mid range systems QNAP is now just as expensive as synology.

Do you already know which drive(s) you're going to be using in this system? One potential advantage of the Synology is if you pair it with compatible IronWolf & IronWolf Pro drives, you gain advanced system health monitoring known as IronWolf Health Management (also works with select Asustor & Thecus enclosures) which uses baselines and expands beyond what traditional SMART monitoring provides. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

5 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

also note that what the other guy said is nor completely true, synology is especially in terms of software miles ahead and most reviews also point this out as their strongest point.

also especially for the mid range systems QNAP is now just as expensive as synology.

Thanks for the info. I still have to take a look at it.

3 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Do you already know which drive(s) you're going to be using in this system? One potential advantage of the Synology is if you pair it with compatible IronWolf & IronWolf Pro drives, you gain advanced system health monitoring known as IronWolf Health Management (also works with select Asustor & Thecus enclosures) which uses baselines and expands beyond what traditional SMART monitoring provides. 

I am first going to put in two 1 TB drive from Seagate (not sure which ones atm) that I still have around. Besides I already own a 3TB WD Red drive so I was thinking about getting another if the  two 1TB drives aren't enough.

I have 3 Synology NAS' and I love them.  I'm doing more with them than you would want (it appears).  I am a huge fan of things that "just work" -- and these Synology NAS' have "just worked", without headache, for everything that I wanted them for.

Side Rant: My one gripe (and it really peeves me) is how Synology handles Surveillance Station licenses.  Each NAS comes with 2 licenses to Surveillance Station -- so 2 cameras.  Why would I have to buy licenses for additional cameras for a piece of hardware and it's accompanying software that I already bought into and own.  Additionally, I have 3 NAS', therefore 6 licenses I'm entitled to -- but I only want the cameras on 1 NAS. Why can't I move my owned licenses around between NAS'? Grr.

26 minutes ago, O__O said:

Side Rant: My one gripe (and it really peeves me) is how Synology handles Surveillance Station licenses.  Each NAS comes with 2 licenses to Surveillance Station -- so 2 cameras.  Why would I have to buy licenses for additional cameras for a piece of hardware and it's accompanying software that I already bought into and own.  Additionally, I have 3 NAS', therefore 6 licenses I'm entitled to -- but I only want the cameras on 1 NAS. Why can't I move my owned licenses around between NAS'? Grr.

the license thing for surveillance is to make it short just because they can, their solution even with licensing is dirty cheap compared to large scale systems you can buy on the market.

surveillance is a huge market and people are willing to spend much money for the security.