PC Building Simulator Thread

iamdarkyoshi

Sim1.thumb.png.092b04d3600500d46d731e6d6d234cff.png

I figured I'd make a thread to chat about the game.

I've recently gotten addicted to it, there's something just very weirdly satisfying about playing career mode and fixing people's PCs. There have been some fairly amusing bugs along the way, such as when I needed to replace a machine's broken hard drive (it had two) I removed both and reinstalled the good one, and it thought it was repaired.

And of course there's the usual cable nonsense, which seems to intensify upon exiting and reloading a save:

Sim2.png.5fa9dedac4b80a7f75a5ab725dcec8d0.png

This PC naturally has cables sticking out the top and side though.

Sim3.png.8a7dc920a1b11e859d2e95be0b624ad0.png

Really not sure wtf happened here lol

I can't wait until we start seeing motherboard sizes other than ATX, I want to build more stuff inside a Node 202 like I did in real life :D

So what have you done in the game so far? Enjoying it? What do you want added next? Leave your thoughts below!

I've never looked at this game closely and didn't even realize it existed.  I like the idea though - so long as they keep the system requirements low enough you could play it on an old macbook air or similarly speced machine (ie, basically anything), and assuming they make it reliable and realistic enough, it could be a useful educational tool to get people comfortable with doing it before they buy parts and try it for real.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

The more I see this game, the more I want it. I should really buy it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I've never looked at this game closely and didn't even realize it existed.  I like the idea though - so long as they keep the system requirements low enough you could play it on an old macbook air or similarly speced machine (ie, basically anything), and assuming they make it reliable and realistic enough, it could be a useful educational tool to get people comfortable with doing it before they buy parts and try it for real.

Right now I'm only getting half the framerate my monitors run at on a 1080Ti

But then again I'm trying to run it at 5760x1080 at 144hz at max settings

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Right now I'm only getting half the framerate my monitors run at on a 1080Ti

But then again I'm trying to run it at 5760x1080 at 144hz at max settings

That's probably fine provided they let you drop the settings sufficiently for those who need to

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's probably fine provided they let you drop the settings sufficiently for those who need to

Brb, downloading on 2010 macbook non pro

They should put an option in the game to visit linustechtips.com when your build doesn't work as expected, so you can get equal servings of help and snark from the forum members :)

4 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

The reason I care is it's the people who don't have a PC powerful enough to run games who need to play this in order to learn how to build one, so if you needed a gaming PC to run it, it would defeat the purpose :P   In case that wasn't obvious...

10 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Or not, is not OSX compatible

Maybe they'll release a mac version called Mac Building Simulator

I feel it won't take long to program, just two buttons

macc.PNG.6e9d5358738d80d5165298cd07735240.PNG

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The reason I care is it's the people who don't have a PC powerful enough to run games who need to play this in order to learn how to build one, so if you needed a gaming PC to run it, it would defeat the purpose :P   In case that wasn't obvious...

Figure your mileage would vary anyways since it's in Early Access I think?  The dev might appreciate feedback on your experience.  At least, if they're not appreciative, the rest of us would know they're probably not worth supporting.

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Or not, is not OSX compatible

Maybe they'll release a mac version called Mac Building Simulator

I feel it won't take long to program

macc.PNG.6e9d5358738d80d5165298cd07735240.PNG

It would turn more into an economics and pricing strategy game than anything.  Or maybe a full-blown engineering experience to try and race the stated 2020 deadline to remove Intel CPUs from their lineup.

Looks hilariously good. maybe sometime :P 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

I first heard about this game back when jacksepticeye played its proof-of-concept demo a year ago.

It was cool to see jacksepticeye nerding out over tech just like we do! xD 

Fastforward to about a week ago, which is when I saw that it had been released to the masses on Steam.  Honestly, I was skeptical; if all the game ever amounted to was building PCs (like in the demo), then I feel like most people (techies & non-techies alike) would get bored with it after only a short while.  Then, today, I heard that the game has PC troubleshooting & business management mechanics, and that it accounts for both the tech-literate and tech-illiterate crowds.  Now, this game is on my Steam Wishlist! xD 

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

I really don't understand this "Game". Why does it even exist??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

I really don't understand this "Game". Why does it even exist??

Not sure about you, but I've got an addiction to building PCs, and that can get very expensive very quickly.

Also, it might be a good way for someone who's new to custom PCs to practice building one on their own before building one in real life.