OS installations on 2 SSDs but no OS found without HDD plugged in.

Murasaki
Go to solution Solved by Theguywhobea,

Sometimes when you install windows and have both an SSD and an HDD plugged in, Windows will install the OS to the SSD, but secretly install the bootloader to the HDD, this is why it wont boot without the HDD installed. Try reinstalling windows with the harddrive unplugged and ONLY the target SSD installed.

This is absolutely weird. I got a Corsair聽MP500 and an 850 EVO. Both of them have a windows installation on them. On their own they cannot boot into the OS "an operating system was not found". But when the HDD is connected, it displays the installations on the boot menu. The HDD does not have a windows installation on it.. how can this be? Could it be because i didnt format it when i upgrade to SSD a year or so ago? Can it be fixed or should i start from scratch?

Sometimes when you install windows and have both an SSD and an HDD plugged in, Windows will install the OS to the SSD, but secretly install the bootloader to the HDD, this is why it wont boot without the HDD installed. Try reinstalling windows with the harddrive unplugged and ONLY the target SSD installed.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 馃檪

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

Yeah thats the plan but is there a way to get the bootloader on the SSDs?

Just now, Premlez said:

But why?聽:S

I don't know, I just know it does it.

Just now, Ross Scarlet said:

Yeah thats the plan but is there a way to get the bootloader on the SSDs?

Yeah, when you reinstall windows but you only have the single SSD installed, it will install all the boot files it needs on the SSD as well.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 馃檪

Just now, Theguywhobea said:

I don't know, I just know it does it.

Yeah, when you reinstall windows but you only have the single SSD installed, it will install all the boot files it needs on the SSD as well.

I shouldn't have done stuff on the new installation, gotta start over again LOL oh well tomorrow ill have more fun. Thanks for your time!