Bottle neck or nah?

kunka_boi161

Hi i', just wondering if my monitors will hold back the horsepower of a GTX 1060. My monitor's max res is 1920x1080. 

Uh... no?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I mean, your monitor wont display more than 60 frames in one second unless you're able to overclock it a bit. But I don't think people necessarily consider their monitors to be a bottleneck?

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

4 minutes ago, kunka_boi161 said:

Hi i', just wondering if my monitors will hold back the horsepower of a GTX 1060. My monitor's max res is 1920x1080. 

The 1060 was designed for 1080p gaming, you'll be fine.

Monitors also do not bottleneck. Ever.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

It won't hold your card back, no. (thats also not possible, monitors cant bottleneck components)

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 hour ago, RKRiley said:

It won't hold your card back, no. (thats also not possible, monitors cant bottleneck components)

Too much internet today......

47 minutes ago, Dah budget gamer666 said:

Too much internet today......

?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

A 60hz monitor will not make full use of high end cards, isn't that the definition of a bottleneck?

A 1060 at 1080p 60hz sounds right. If you have headroom turn up the settings.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

6 hours ago, kunka_boi161 said:

This is just to ping the OP, but read the bit below.

10 minutes ago, asand1 said:

A 60hz monitor will not make full use of high end cards, isn't that the definition of a bottleneck?

A monitor is an output device. Other than maybe some configuration items and basic status, it doesn't tell the video card what to do nor does the video card rely on the monitor for anything. It just accepts whatever the video card spits out. Therefore, the monitor cannot bottleneck a video card. Even if you use something like VSync, that's not the monitor telling the video card what to do, it's the application telling the video card to wait until the vertical blanking interval (which the video card has to generate) before producing the next frame.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

4 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

This is just to ping the OP, but read the bit below.

A monitor is an output device. Other than maybe some configuration items and basic status, it doesn't tell the video card what to do nor does the video card rely on the monitor for anything. It just accepts whatever the video card spits out. Therefore, the monitor cannot bottleneck a video card. Even if you use something like VSync, that's not the monitor telling the video card what to do, it's the application telling the video card to wait until the vertical blanking interval (which the video card has to generate) before producing the next frame.

But while the GPU is pushing out 253 fps in minesweeper, the monitor is only showing displaying 60fps. Therefore the monitor is making the rest of the PC no better than a 60hz potato.

Bottleck isn't about physically affecting other components, it's about rendering other high end components useless.

This is where folks don't fully understand the concept of a bottleneck.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

1 hour ago, asand1 said:

But while the GPU is pushing out 253 fps in minesweeper, the monitor is only showing displaying 60fps. Therefore the monitor is making the rest of the PC no better than a 60hz potato.

Bottleck isn't about physically affecting other components, it's about rendering other high end components useless.

This is where folks don't fully understand the concept of a bottleneck.

The common lexicon for bottlenecking is performance related. So in the context of OP's question and your example, no, a monitor is not causing a performance bottleneck.

Whether or not the monitor is rendering the GPU useless because it can't display all 253 frames in a second (which technically it can at 60Hz... just with a bunch of tearing) is a matter of opinion. Otherwise tell those people who are trying to push 300 FPS on 144Hz monitors in CS:GO they're doing it wrong.

55 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The common lexicon for bottlenecking is performance related. So in the context of OP's question and your example, no, a monitor is not causing a performance bottleneck.

Whether or not the monitor is rendering the GPU useless because it can't display all 253 frames in a second (which technically it can at 60Hz... just with a bunch of tearing) is a matter of opinion. Otherwise tell those people who are trying to push 300 FPS on 144Hz monitors in CS:GO they're doing it wrong.

Except the monitor's refresh rate is its performance. If you look at the PC and its peripherals as a system then you could say there's a bottleneck in that system, though there isn't a bottleneck in the PC itself. Anyway, technically there is no bottleneck in this case because as you said the monitor is actually able to show more than 60 fps, just not whole, so there'll be tearing.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Just now, Monarch said:

Except the monitor's refresh rate is its performance. If you look at the PC and its peripherals as a system then you could say there's a bottleneck in that system, though there isn't a bottleneck in the PC itself. Anyway, technically there is no bottleneck in this case because as you said the monitor is actually able to show more than 60 fps, just not whole, so there'll be tearing.

OP asked if the monitor will hold back the performance of the GPU. The answer is no.

If we're going to go down this bottleneck rabbithole, the biggest one is you, the slow human.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

OP asked if the monitor will hold back the performance of the GPU. The answer is no.

If we're going to go down this bottleneck rabbithole, the biggest one is you, the slow human.

I know, I wasn't arguing with you, and OP already got an answer. It was just a comment on the topic of a bottleneck and yours and asand's point of view, just so people who don't quite get the meaning of a bottleneck get a better idea of what it actually is.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

1 minute ago, Monarch said:

I know, I wasn't arguing with you, and OP already got an answer. It was just a comment on the topic of a bottleneck and yours and asand's point of view, just so people who don't quite get the meaning of a bottleneck get a better idea of what it actually is.

Alrighty. I apologize if I sounded snippy.

This is just one of those topics I'm half passionate about.