How to get Office 2013 to reprompt "first things first"?

When you open Office 2013 for the first time, it pops up a window, "First Things First". This window asks if you want to install updates automatically or disable them.

Here is my dilemma. Many of my users have their updates disabled. Windows 7 doesn't have an easy way for me to turn these back on. I'm trying to find a way to reset the registry to prompt for that again. Resetting "ShownFirstRunOptin" from 1 to 0 doesn't work.

If anyone knows the solution, I would greatly appreciate it!

Any well built program should give you the option under "Tools", "Preferences", "Options", "Settings" to change that setting back. Sometimes under the "Help", or "About" section will give you Update related options. You might find the option to change that setting there without having to trick the computer into thinking you just installed the application.

Have you checked your group policy settings on your domain controller? You mention changing "ShownFirstRunOptIn" but you don't mention "HideEnableDisableUpdates", did you look into this too?

I'm not sure about Office 2013 as a whole but deleting the user profile(s), and some config data from program files from what I can tell makes Outlook re-download the files. We had an issue where an Outlook plugin was stopping a users Outlook from opening, even in safe mode and that's what we did and the plugin was gone. I'm pretty sure all the settings got wiped.

Worst case scenario go in the consumer version of Microsoft support & I'd expect them to be able to figure it out, don't make it obvious you're on a work PC or they'll refer you to the business version of support.

AFAIK only 365 subscription version has progressive updates. Anything else is just getting help files and maybe occasional security fix. Plus for me these were done via normal Windows update (I had 2007 version and 2016) .

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv