Windows Display Scaling causes massive lag

Hi all, so, I have the Razer Blade 14 mid 2016, so it's got the 3200x1800 display. Obviously in order to use this display I need the display scaling at 175 or 200 % which when I'm using just the laptop display is  fine. However when I use the laptop display as the secondary display and my 34in Ultrawide as the main display I get a ridiculous amount of lag when moving windows between the displays. I assume it's due to having to re-render the window when it moves from one screen at 100% scaling to the other at 175% scaling but sometimes it can take a few seconds, which seems a bit unreasonable at time. Also, CPU when just browsing the internet it much higher when I have the laptop display on as well, does the display scaling consume that much resources?

If I have just an external display connected and the laptop display closed, I get no lag at all, everything runs smoothly.

INB4 razer laptop throttling

It's not throttling, I get CPU temps in the 50's to 60's, CPU clocks are at 3.2Ghz, which is normal for a 6700HQ.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Shouldn't be laggy but it could just be something wrong with the fact you're moving from a non ultrawide to an ultrawide. At home I have different resolution monitors and it's fine using a 6700k and 980Ti. Does that razer blade have a dedicated graphics card inside or no?

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Shouldn't be laggy but it could just be something wrong with the fact you're moving from a non ultrawide to an ultrawide. At home I have different resolution monitors and it's fine using a 6700k and 980Ti. Does that razer blade have a dedicated graphics card inside or no?

Yeah, it has a 970m 6GB version. It happens even on a regular 1080p display as well. However, if I set my laptop display to 1600x900 so my scaling is at 100% for both display, I don't get the lag.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

If you keep it at 3200x1800 with 100% scaling does it lag ?

Hmmm, I haven't tried that yet I don't think. At 3200x1800 at 100% scaling I can barely make out any of the text on the screen.

Just now, NinJake said:

For science!

I'll have to test it when I get home from work today. I suspect that it wont lag though.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

What cable are you using to connect the external display?

HDMI, however I notice the same results when using a thunderbolt to display port cable. It's maybe even a bit worse with the thunderbolt port? But I've heard rumors that it's because the Thunderbolt port is routed through the iGPU for Optimus, and the HDMI port isn't. Don't know how true that is though.

Are you certain your HDMI cable is compatible with the higher bandwidth that may be necessary powering both monitors? (How old is the cable)

Just now, NinJake said:

Are you certain your HDMI cable is compatible with the higher bandwidth that may be necessary powering both monitors? (How old is the cable)

I believe it's a pretty new cable, at least 1.4. But I can't think of any HDMI cables that can't do 1080p 60Hz, which I was getting the same results on. My current display is 2560x1080 and it's running at 75Hz. Even running it over displayport at 144hz though I get the same lag.