Sub $200 Massdrop Headphone Showndown: HD6XX vs K7XX vs T-X0 vs. HE-4XX

Max_Settings
4 hours ago, dizmo said:

I really wasn't a fan of the Q701's when I had them. I've heard they're very similar to the K series, which I imagine is similar to the XX.

The T-X0 seemed interesting but you didn't give the build quality a very good score, which is paramount for anything I buy; which is also why I'd avoid the $30 headphones.

AFAIK the K7xx is the Q701 with K702 Anniversary pads.

4 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

And comparatively to the other 3 here. The K7XX feels like a rattling plastic Chinese made set of headphones. The HD6XX is plastic and metal, but it just has the feeling and tightness where you can tell it’s not made in China. Then you pick up the 4XX and they are heavy and made of steel and feel super solid. Then the T-X0 feels pretty good as well, not as solid as the 6XX or 4XX, but leagues above the K7XX, and better than most anything else in the price range. 

Maybe you have a bad unit or I have a good one because my set doesn't have these issues. The comfort on them isn't very good for me either though, the pads are too thin and stiff coming from the HyperX Clouds.

1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

Maybe you have a bad unit or I have a good one because my set doesn't have these issues. The comfort on them isn't very good for me either though, the pads are too thin and stiff coming from the HyperX Clouds.

No I don’t think so. I’ve held a few other sets and they all felt the same.

38 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

AFAIK the K7xx is the Q701 with K702 Anniversary pads.

Really? That's pretty weak, usually they tweak a few more things than that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Really? That's pretty weak, usually they tweak a few more things than that.

There’s more driver tweaks than that. I know for sure there’s a 3db bump in low end.

24 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

There’s more driver tweaks than that. I know for sure there’s a 3db bump in low end.

I am fairly sure it's 3db compared to the K701 and 02.

• 4 weeks later...

Great write up. Very informative and helpful.

I'm interested to read your thoughts on the Mayflower T50rp MkIII. I purchased a pair a couple of months ago and returned them. To my ears the treble was very harsh and they were painful to listen to. One of the worst headphones I have ever heard. 

I have never heard an unmodded T50rp MkIII and wonder if the mods done to the Mayflower set I received may have been faulty. I do have 6xx and previously owned a set of HE400i and love both of those headphones.

47 minutes ago, Mindhead1 said:

Great write up. Very informative and helpful.

I'm interested to read your thoughts on the Mayflower T50rp MkIII. I purchased a pair a couple of months ago and returned them. To my ears the treble was very harsh and they were painful to listen to. One of the worst headphones I have ever heard. 

I have never heard an unmodded T50rp MkIII and wonder if the mods done to the Mayflower set I received may have been faulty. I do have 6xx and previously owned a set of HE400i and love both of those headphones.

Mayflowers are treble sharp. I bought a set of foam inserts for HD650s and put them under the pads to calm the treble on my set and now they are much better. I need to get around to reviewing them, but I have a lot of stuff in line for reviews first.

On 4/8/2018 at 11:20 AM, dizmo said:

I really wasn't a fan of the Q701's when I had them. I've heard they're very similar to the K series, which I imagine is similar to the XX.

The T-X0 seemed interesting but you didn't give the build quality a very good score, which is paramount for anything I buy; which is also why I'd avoid the $30 headphones.

I know this is a month later, but I own both the q701s and the K7XXs. They aren't the same at all. The Q701s are very forward and bright (sometimes harsh), but the K7XXs are relaxed and smooth with a lot more bass in comparison.

11 hours ago, 145815_1454180632 said:

I know this is a month later, but I own both the q701s and the K7XXs. They aren't the same at all. The Q701s are very forward and bright (sometimes harsh), but the K7XXs are relaxed and smooth with a lot more bass in comparison.

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the 'Q' (Quincy Jones) series had more bass than the 'K' series.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

3 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the 'Q' (Quincy Jones) series had more bass than the 'K' series.

It does, but K7xx is not very similar to the older K7 cans.

• 2 months later...

For the base of the he4xx I found an easy fix for it online you just need to crank up the amp and eq +10db I read this online for fixing the low quantity of bass so you can have a lot of good bass but can't make sure myself could you check this out? Since if it does work it would be. A game changer

Ryzen 7 1800x Asrock x370 taichi EVGA FTW3 1080ti G.skill tridentZ red 3433mhz 16gb dual channel NZXT hue+ Seasonic Focus Plus gold Bequiet dark base pro 900 white edition (number 774) WD blue 1tb Samsung 960 evo 500gb

23 hours ago, Plasmus_Ang said:

For the base of the he4xx I found an easy fix for it online you just need to crank up the amp and eq +10db I read this online for fixing the low quantity of bass so you can have a lot of good bass but can't make sure myself could you check this out? Since if it does work it would be. A game changer

I don't EQ headphones. But I never said there was anything wrong with the bass on the 4XXs. Why would you want to change it?

12 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

I don't EQ headphones. But I never said there was anything wrong with the bass on the 4XXs. Why would you want to change it?

Well you did say for edm it was terrible for a low amount of bass which is because the He4-xx has really good bass quality but pretty bad bass quantity  which is bad for edm and other bass heavy needs. The EQ +10db will bring the quantity of the base tire which would improve overall the phone performance for EDM and similar bass heavy needs

Ryzen 7 1800x Asrock x370 taichi EVGA FTW3 1080ti G.skill tridentZ red 3433mhz 16gb dual channel NZXT hue+ Seasonic Focus Plus gold Bequiet dark base pro 900 white edition (number 774) WD blue 1tb Samsung 960 evo 500gb

• 1 month later...

@Max_Settings, appreciate for your detail review. I noticed that you also own the HD58X so I would like to know your opinion when comparing HD58X and HE-4XX.

I got the HD58X already. Its comfortable and perfect for pop music and gaming. It's the best gaming headphone I owned (when comparing to Hyperx Cloud Alpha and Sennheiser-PC37X).

I want to buy one more headphone for my office use so I am thinking of buying one more HD58X, or go for HE-4XX? If HE-4XX is better than HD58X for competitive gaming, I may take the HE-4XX for home use and get the HD58X to my office. 

Thanks for your comment in advance!

BTW, do you have a review on your HD58X? I tried to search the forum but can't locate it.

8 hours ago, Arthur Yung said:

@Max_Settings, appreciate for your detail review. I noticed that you also own the HD58X so I would like to know your opinion when comparing HD58X and HE-4XX.

I got the HD58X already. Its comfortable and perfect for pop music and gaming. It's the best gaming headphone I owned (when comparing to Hyperx Cloud Alpha and Sennheiser-PC37X).

I want to buy one more headphone for my office use so I am thinking of buying one more HD58X, or go for HE-4XX? If HE-4XX is better than HD58X for competitive gaming, I may take the HE-4XX for home use and get the HD58X to my office. 

Thanks for your comment in advance!

BTW, do you have a review on your HD58X? I tried to search the forum but can't locate it.

Ah. No I don’t. I’ve been very busy recently and haven’t had time for reviews. But I’ll give you a mini review.

Go look at my Sennheiser HD600 series showdown and everything I said about the 660S, just take that, add a bit more bass and a little less detail, and that’s the 58X.

The 58X is the HD660S with different dapening and more bass essentially. Those make every headphone in this review irrelevant except the 6XX. In fact the 58X make any open back sub $200 headphone irrelevant because they are essentially $500 headphones. I would take the 58X over the 4XX in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

Ah. No I don’t. I’ve been very busy recently and haven’t had time for reviews. But I’ll give you a mini review.

Go look at my Sennheiser HD600 series showdown and everything I said about the 660S, just take that, add a bit more bass and a little less detail, and that’s the 58X.

The 58X is the HD660S with different dapening and more bass essentially. Those make every headphone in this review irrelevant except the 6XX. In fact the 58X make any open back sub $200 headphone irrelevant because they are essentially $500 headphones. I would take the 58X over the 4XX in a heartbeat.

I will get another HD58X for my office. Really appreciated for your feedback

On 2018-04-06 at 3:20 PM, Max_Settings said:

Yes, especially if you don't want to mess with mods.

On 2018-08-06 at 11:59 PM, Max_Settings said:

2 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Yes, I know. Absolutely worth it.

Re: HD650 Clones. I have no buyer’s remorse with my HD6xx. Now that my listening nook’s all set up, I’m focusing on re-ripping and cleaning up my audio files (MP3... really?! No no no no no... rip to FLAC).

My audio systems established and I’m happy.

Then....

Then I got an email from Massdrop... about these...

Dekoni Blue by Fostex Planar-Magnetic (for ~$230 USD + shipping + duties + exchange rate to... Canada). I’m all out of (frivolous-use) cash until the new year. @Max_Settings... How would they compare to other planar headphones (in this price range)?

Edited by Guest
Add a tag...

3 hours ago, PrometheanCat-1970 said:

Re: HD650 Clones. I have no buyer’s remorse with my HD6xx. Now that my listening nook’s all set up, I’m focusing on re-ripping and cleaning up my audio files (MP3... really?! No no no no no... rip to FLAC).

My audio systems established and I’m happy.

Then....

Then I got an email from Massdrop... about these...

Dekoni Blue by Fostex Planar-Magnetic (for ~$230 USD + shipping + duties + exchange rate to... Canada). I’m all out of (frivolous-use) cash until the new year. @Max_Settings... How would they compare to other planar headphones (in this price range)?

Well there aren't too many other options in that price range. We have the HE-4XX and HE-400i which are both basically the same thing. The Dekoni Blue I would say is the best cheap MK3 mod, falling short of course of the incredible T60RP and Argon MK3. Once we go up a bit higher we have some things that best them for sure. Things like the HE-560 (V2) and the Verum One.

• 2 months later...

I think you should re-test the power requirements. My E10K barely drives the 4XX and none of my 2 smartphones, 2 laptops and PC drives them to even loud enough levels.
Green = Less Power needed

HE - 4XX aka 400i

Power Required: 50,12 Milliwatts

Voltage Required: 1,3244 Volts

Current Required: 37,84 milliamps

HD 600 ( Same as 650? ) 

Power Required: 19,95 Milliwatts

Voltage Required: 2,4466 Volts

Current Required: 8,16 milliamps

HD 598 ( Just reference how the requirements looks for a headphone that doesn't need AMP but still benefits from it and gets like 20-30% volume boost ). 

Power Required: 12,62 Milliwatts

Voltage Required: 0,7943 Volts

Current Required: 15,89 milliamps

• 11 months later...

Sorry, bit this "review" is kinda nonsense on so many level.

I really agree with you assess ment of the 4xx as the best gaming cans here after a little under a month of using I  prefer them over the 58x in that regard. 

30 minutes ago, assyn said:

Sorry, bit this "review" is kinda nonsense on so many level.

in what way?