The 20€ r9 280x Story

wildgg

Hey LTT

I love playing around with hardware, and finally having a Gaming PC that doesn't need upgrades it kinda gets boring for me after a while.. First world problems! i know right...

Inspired by the Scrapyard Wars series i'm trying to build a respectable ''gaming'' PC for under 200€ (give or take 250$)

So me not really knowing where to start i just went straight for the GPU first, simply because the GPU prices are not great right now so i figured that was going to take up most of the budget.

I was looking around on ebay and finding a decent GPU for cheap wasn't easy at all, that was until i saw a listing of a ''dead'' r9 280x, the owner said that 'one day it just stopped working' so i told him i'll give you 20 for it and he agreed.

at that point i was like i might as well try to revive this thing since i have seen videos with the Oven Method what could go wrong.

4 days later the card came in and it looked fine, it was just very dusty. I put it in a test PC and it was indeed dead but not completely tho, monitor showed allot of artifacts and the colors were weird.

Next step was the Oven Method but i figured i might as well try to clean it first, so new thermal pads and fresh thermal paste and i cleaned the PCB with some brake cleaner and alcohol wipes..

Put the card back in the test PC and i guess the cleaning was enough because the card fully works again and it even survived 8 hours of stress testing!

So now i have a fully working Sapphire vapor-x r9 280x 3G for 20€! not bad eh 

And yes i'm fully aware this is not a top of the line performing GPU today

i thought i'd share my story here 

thank you if you made it through reading haha :)

RQGgmBn.jpg

lt93BMz.jpg

1TZvKuP.jpg

xtSFSCq.jpg

h7TanIZ.jpg

5ZqpFNo.jpg

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

2 minutes ago, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

Actually pretty cool story. Now I'm motivated to buy dead cards.

I once saw 2 i7 x980's for 20$ each, the issue seemed liked the motherboard so I bought them. They were both silicon lottery wins (4.2ghz @1.25v) and sold at 250$ each.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

I once saw 2 i7 x980's for 20$ each, the issue seemed liked the motherboard so I bought them. They were both silicon lottery wins (4.2ghz @1.25v) and sold at 250$ each.

Nice man. Only thing i got that was really lucky was a "broken hp dv6000" for free that i just threw a charger in and it worked

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

I'm now motivated to buy a bunch of dead 970s and 980 Tis for like $20 a pop and have a bunch of 970s and 980 Tis.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

8 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

I'm now motivated to buy a bunch of dead 970s and 980 Tis for like $20 a pop and have a bunch of 970s and 980 Tis.

it's still a risk tho but up to you if it's worth it

if you can find sellers that have no idea about hardware that will be your best chance

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

Reminds me of how two years ago, I bought a 7950 for £20 with a dead vRAM chip (artifacted so you can't play games with it...) but the thing was, it mined ETH perfectly fine (99% valid shares) which was pretty good as I made back my investment in about a week time. Thing was, fully functional 7950s were selling for £30~ so to be honest, £20 was actually quite expensive for a semi-functional 7950... 

On a side note: ay, its one of the blue PCB 280(X)es. New bios and sticker slapped onto a 7950/7970 and it becomes a 280(X) :P

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)