MSI 1080ti Duke 11G Hot as

HarveyDjent

Hello all,

I got a brand new duke 1080ti from amazon (actually sold by amazon, not a 3rd party) about a month or two ago. It's great and runs everything wonderful. I have a Define R4 for a case with two stock fans in the front for intake, a h100i in the top pushing out with two noctua static pressure fans and a stock fan in the rear pushing out. Psu fan facing down. With the side panel on and a custom fan curve I would be hitting 80+c during a gaming session and my computer would actually just shut off after an hour or so. Room temp about 68-70F. I know the stock fans with the R4 aren't the best and I don't really care about the warranty as MSI has been known to be shitty about it. Should I take the cooler off and put on some arctic silver and hope for the best? Anyone with the same card have similar issues?

I'm tired of running it with the side panel off and a fan blowing at the card just so it doesn't restart. And I have a good 700w corsair psu so it's not starving for power.

Haven't overclocked it either.

Can you upload / Post a picture of the internals?

Sure thing:

(couldn't fit the extra drive bays.. that's one looong boi)

IMG_4235.JPG

Edited by HarveyDjent

Have you considered blowing out the dust and increasing the fans speed for the fan that is not obstructed by the drive in the front?  You may be diverting the air from the GPU with the fans on the top and back.  You GPU looks relatively clean.

The dust is recent due to having the side panel off for a while, I have all the case fans on max and I have the radiator fans set to performance in the corsairlink app. 

Remove the heatsink and re-apply (decent) thermal paste or send it back for a refund or replacement

Just now, ouroesa said:

Remove the heatsink and re-apply (decent) thermal paste or send it back for a refund or replacement

I think that's what I'm gonna try, I have a new tube of AC5. Just waiting to see if anyone else with the same card has heat problems or if I just have shit luck.

1 minute ago, ouroesa said:

I was about to say re-apply the heat sink.  You may need thermal pads do to spacing issues between heat sinks and components.

Just now, MikeSK said:

I was about to say re-apply the heat sink.  You may need thermal pads do to spacing issues between heat sinks and components.

Good thinking, any recommendation for thermal pads on amazon? I wanna have that at my disposal before taking it off so I'm not SOL for a couple days. 

3 minutes ago, MikeSK said:

I usually just re-use the existing thermal pads as they are usually for components not getting very hot. Sometimes I apply a little bit of thermal paste between the heatsinks and thermal pads to spread the heat a little better (those fins don't have much surface area contacting the pads but I mostly do this because I like fooling around, don't think that it has any real impact though). Thermal grizzly has some very well performing pads if you are interested in replacing those but they won't affect gpu temps.

1 minute ago, ouroesa said:

I usually just re-use the existing thermal pads as they are usually for components not getting very hot. Sometimes I apply a little bit of thermal paste between the heatsinks and thermal pads to spread the heat a little better (those fins don't have much surface area contacting the pads but I mostly do this because I like fooling around, don't think that it has any real impact though). Thermal grizzly has some very well performing pads if you are interested in replacing those but they won't affect gpu temps.

I appreciate it, I think this weekend I'll tear it down and try out some better compound. As well as dusting my pc again and giving it a good cleaning. Thank you!

Anytime. Hope it helps! You can also try and change the fan curve in MSI afterburner. I usually have it as low as possible up to 40C and then ramping up to 100% @ 80C (Plot one point at the lowest speed @ 40C and then one point at 100% @ 80C, this will draw a line between the two).

2 minutes ago, ouroesa said:

Anytime. Hope it helps! You can also try and change the fan curve in MSI afterburner. I usually have it as low as possible up to 40C and then ramping up to 100% @ 80C (Plot one point at the lowest speed @ 40C and then one point at 100% @ 80C, this will draw a line between the two).

Yeah I have one set already like so, it helps a lot but I was still getting restarts after a few rounds in Pubg.

fans.PNG

There is definitely something wrong. The weird thing is that your computer completely shuts down. Usually the cards will only throttle (1080ti do run warm, op to 90c) and then it will shut down if throttling is not enough. Maybe you can try reducing the voltage as much as possible and maybe even underclock it a little to get temps down then test it again and see if the PC still shuts down which would then point to another issue.

Also, make sure all the fans are running, silly but it does happen.

I wonder if the PSU is shutting down due to the GPU raising temps and the case exhausting through the PSU?

I would use speed fan to use the GPU temp to control the case fans.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

It only shut down when I had the side panel on and didn't have the case fans at full blast. With it off it seems to be okay.

• 1 month later...

@OP I have the same card and the same problem. Runs real hot to 80+ with case side panel on. I have to do same thing you did to keep from shutting down. Did repasting  help?  

21 hours ago, Goku25jason said:

@OP I have the same card and the same problem. Runs real hot to 80+ with case side panel on. I have to do same thing you did to keep from shutting down. Did repasting  help?  

I was worried about doing it but did it last weekend and it's made such a difference. Now with the side panel on and playing Pubg maxed i hit like 67C. The memory thermal pads you don't have to mess with because it's on a separate plate, just remove the 4 screws for the gpu and the little ones holding the backplate on. I had to re adjust the two thermal strips for the power section as it was misaligned but after arctic silver it's been great.