Annoying popping/crackling sound on PC. HELP PLEASE

I have this really annoying popping/crackling sound coming from my audio, it appears that it comes forth when using any form of program/app-related audio. It is extremely annoying and very present when listening to constant sounds such as Spotify or while gaming, however it doesn't appear as frequently or rather next to nothing when doing browser related stuff like streaming or watching Youtube. The popping is especially sharp when audio is cut off/interrupted, for ex. when i pause a youtube video, then it is easily noticed.

Here is a video showing an example, as seen in it the popping only appears when listening to the program section, but not when listening directly to the headphones.

Video link:

The popping/crackling that appears in the video when i press the volume slider for "Systemljud" aka system sound, is extremely prevalent in many programs, PUBG, Spotify, Wolfenstein 2, Vermintide 2 and etc.

I'm not sure if it came before or after i got a new PC a some months, back I can't quite remember but I'm pretty sure that it was there back then as well.

At first i thought it was my old headset (Steelseries siberia 800) but it is present in my new headphones as well. (Audio Technica AD700x)

What I have tried:

Updating drivers

switching headphones

switching headphone jack

tried a USB adapter to which I'm pretty sure uses a small soundcard to convert 3.5mm jacks into USB

changing format quality (currently running my lowest 44100hz 16 bit)

removing any "improvements" under audio configurations

and a bunch of other small random things like changing energy/power options in windows for example.

I have also tested out latency with DPC Latency but it gave me a very inconsistent read and since i was unfamiliar with the procedure I didn't really count too much on it, maybe I should...?

My guess is that windows 10 is having some sort of issue, but I just can't figure out what it is. Please type in any theory or suggestion, thank you!

Specs: GTX 1080ti Strix ROG (oc using ASUS gpu tweaker)
            i7 7700k kaby lake (oc to 4.7ghz)

16gb Corsair vengeance 3200mhz (clocked at 3200mhz)

ASUS Strix Z270E Gaming Motherboard

The sound could be from bad speakers? How is audio getting to the speakers?

Right click the sound icon on the bottom right > Playback devices > Right click main output > Properties > Enhancements > Check the box that says, "Disable all Enhancements."

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

The sound could be from bad speakers? How is audio getting to the speakers?

Can't be from bad speakers because we can hear it in the video. It's most likely a software bug. 

46 minutes ago, Jasun said:

Can't be from bad speakers because we can hear it in the video. It's most likely a software bug. 

Sorry, didn't watch the video, not able to currently, so I want sure if it was a screen capture or external video capture.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2018 at 9:03 PM, Jasun said:

Right click the sound icon on the bottom right > Playback devices > Right click main output > Properties > Enhancements > Check the box that says, "Disable all Enhancements."

Yea already tried that and the problem is like 20% less loud with it checked, but I'm assuming that is because I use Sonic Studio to boost bass cuz' it kinda sucks in these headphones.

Other than that noticeable difference the problem is still there, ty tho.

22 minutes ago, Solrosen said:

Yea already tried that and the problem is like 20% less loud with it checked, but I'm assuming that is because I use Sonic Studio to boost bass cuz' it kinda sucks in these headphones.

Other than that noticeable difference the problem is still there, ty tho.

It seems like you've tried many options... Maybe it's time to reset Windows...

5 hours ago, Solrosen said:

I use Sonic Studio to boost bass

That just might be the problem.

I cant play the video due to Chinas internet but ii had an issue where my pc made strange crackling noises and would do it on off while listening to music and playing games and it came through my headset and speakers, this will sound odd but i cleaned my RAM sticks and cleaned the DIMM slots and the noise went away right away, not sure if you have solved the issue or not but i felt like i might be able to help.

On 4/19/2018 at 6:53 PM, wirs said:

That just might be the problem.

Tried it off, as stated above it reduces the effect by 20%, but it's still there :/

• 2 years later...

i recently bought an "arctis pro wireless" headset and i have exactly the same problem and i tried everything i could find.... attached you can listen to the sound recorded via a very good mic and the headset above it.... this crackling is so terrible ;-(( i have no idea what to do.... other headsets like astro a50 (gen3) have no issues at all.....

steelserien_pro_crackling2.m4a

1 minute ago, michabbb said:

i recently bought an "arctis pro wireless" headset and i have exactly the same problem and i tried everything i could find.... attached you can listen to the sound recorded via a very good mic and the headset above it.... this crackling is so terrible ;-(( i have no idea what to do.... other headsets like astro a50 (gen3) have no issues at all.....

steelserien_pro_crackling2.m4a 604.76 kB · 0 downloads

I would encourage you to make a new thread instead of reviving a old one.

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

I would encourage you to make a new thread instead of reviving a old one.

but that would mean that noone in this thread will answer me, and that's exactly what i hope...

because there might be people here "in this thread" that have found solutions in the past....

14 minutes ago, michabbb said:

but that would mean that noone in this thread will answer me, and that's exactly what i hope...

because there might be people here "in this thread" that have found solutions in the past....

unless you tag them or qoute them directly no one in this thread will answer you