Set up a mesh Wi-Fi

Darth Beeius

I have a couple of old routers lying around.

Want to set up these around multiple rooms in a uni-dorm where each room has a LAN connection.

Internet is routed through a login gateway.

Want to have a seamless wifi mesh network where you aare connected to the closest LAN port through the AP rather than all the APs just repeating the original signal in a chain, If chaining dosn't have any downsides, please let me know the pro and cons.

Do you really need a mesh network? Maybe you could run some cables and just use the existing routers as access points instead. Mesh networks are somewhat different from normal networks iirc.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

33 minutes ago, Darth Beeius said:

I have a couple of old routers lying around.

Want to set up these around multiple rooms in a uni-dorm where each room has a LAN connection.

Internet is routed through a login gateway.

Want to have a seamless wifi mesh network where you aare connected to the closest LAN port through the AP rather than all the APs just repeating the original signal in a chain, If chaining dosn't have any downsides, please let me know the pro and cons.

If you want mesh then you have to buy a kit. Old routers will not work. The fact is the Roaming standards can be different based on manufacture and model. Which is why you see people deploying the same AP's all around if they need any kind of roaming capability. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 4/4/2018 at 6:27 PM, tikker said:

Do you really need a mesh network? Maybe you could run some cables and just use the existing routers as access points instead. Mesh networks are somewhat different from normal networks iirc.

Is there a way to have seamless connection all around without any loss I'm experience?

Maybe start with the problem instead of the solution. Why do you want a mesh network? Packet loss?

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

12 hours ago, Darth Beeius said:

Is there a way to have seamless connection all around without any loss I'm experience?

Well a mesh network is going to cost you a lot of money, since you'll need to buy new equipment. You can't do that with your old routers.

11 hours ago, jde3 said:

Maybe start with the problem instead of the solution. Why do you want a mesh network? Packet loss?

This, are you having connection problems, drops?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

54 minutes ago, tikker said:

Well a mesh network is going to cost you a lot of money, since you'll need to buy new equipment. You can't do that with your old routers.

This, are you having connection problems, drops?

The drop off in signal is too high due to lots of concrete. Having multiple SSIDs is kinda inneficient

1 hour ago, Darth Beeius said:

The drop off in signal is too high due to lots of concrete. Having multiple SSIDs is kinda inneficient

Then configure them as AP and give them the same SSID.

8 hours ago, Darth Beeius said:

You can give all the routers the same SSID. The only issue, is some devices could be stupid and not automatically changed AP's when the signal gets low. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.