Can't Connect To Certain Websites

I've been messing around with Private Internet Access for the last few days. I'm really liking it. The iOS app is super easy to use and it doesn't slow down my connection as much as I thought it would.

The only problem was that when I have my phone connected to the VPN, I can't use it to activate my Phillips Hue bridge, so I have to use a light switch like a regular person *shudders*

So my solution was to install it on my router, so all my devices can have VPN goodness. Therefore, I started some research, found dd-wrt as a good custom ROM (I've never flashed a firmware before, it was fun!) and got to work on getting PIA to work.

My first attempt was... less than successful. I thought I had followed everything to the letter, but when all was done, I could access some websites (Google, LTT, a few others), but other websites (anything that had to do with checking your IP address or location, and even privateinternetaccess.com itself) just would not load.

So I restored settings from a backup and tried again, and it was even less successful. Now, nothing would load.

At this point, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I think its the way my network is set up isn't playing very nice with the help page.

My router is connected to the main router via ethernet cord. I have my router set up to a different SSID than the main network (because my family doesn't need to see me) and I have hidden the network by not broadcasting the SSID. I think the problem is with the WAN Connection Type. I'm using Automatic Configuration - DHCP. The setup guide wants me to change it to Static IP, and I think that's what is bugging the system out. The problem is, I'm new to the world of network configuring, and I have no idea on how to fix it.

Any ideas?

DELETE! DELETE!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Silence will fall.

PSU Tier List - I keep forgetting where this is so I'm going to leave it here.

1 hour ago, Macimoar said:

--SNIP--

Any ideas?

What is the make and model of your router? Asking because DD-WRT is a great choice, but is second to Shibby Tomato / Advanced Tomato, if your router supports it. Also, it sounds like you may not have properly cleared the NVRAM after flashing DD-WRT. Whenever you flash a router firmware, you need to factory reset it twice: once prior to the flash, and one after you first set the DD-WRT root password and login. Seems counter intuitive, since you have DD-WRT installed and it's asking for you to setup the root password (router admin login details), right? Wrong - routers are weird like that. :P 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I have a Netgear R6250. I downloaded the Kong mod for that specific router. It’s possible that I forgot to clear the NVRAM, I honestly can’t remember lol

DELETE! DELETE!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Silence will fall.

PSU Tier List - I keep forgetting where this is so I'm going to leave it here.