Server as a gaming PC

Hi all, did you guys ever think about the server install a graphics and play game on it !!

anyone have test it? BTW if you solve the sound problem will be great :)

======thanks for replying ========

let's make this question more clear, ah, I want buy a second-hand DELL R720XD server. it's quite cheap in china that 128G ECC and E5620*2 around 8000RMB (1200$). 

I'm planing to modify a server to PC, not use a server CPU and ECC memory. Why I'm thinking about this? 

1,Server is powerful

2,Will install a lot VM System to provide NSA and VM desktop system for my family user.

3,Can build a raid5 storage which never broke down and up to 50TB level (enough for 10 years)

4,Make me feel different with others.

5,Cheaper

6,muti-network available

ahaha~~~ looks good ha. the only problem is the sound and the performance, anyone really try to change server to PC, I mean PC, the one can put in room and sleep with it.

========update============

just now I have saw this https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1710068-1-1.html .wow this is amazing!!! this is what I want.

it's a server but can play game, and it's quiet.

========update 20180523=====

okay, the server is too noise and power comsuming cose me a lot. 

Now I'm trying to use Raspbeery pi that can build a cloud server by Kubernets and docker. 

I'm trying this way. any tip??

A server is just a pc it has a cpu and ram just like any other pc a game will run fine i have an x5460 i play games on it fine 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

I had a dual Xeon e5-2670 PC running off a supermicro dual socket server board with ECC memory, paired with a 390X and played games on it all the time. I used it as a workstation/gaming PC. For sound I got a soundcard and then in windows server just enabled the audio service which is disabled by default.

I sold the server to a friend who now also uses it as his primary gaming PC along with his R9 390. You could potentially have driver issues with server OS and gaming drivers though so I'd stick with using Windows 10 or Windows 10 pro if you're using dual CPUs (windows 10 home doesn't support multiple CPU sockets)

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

They work fine.  Just get a PCIe or USB sound card.

Also, getting a full size GPU into a 1u server is a challenge.  I used a flexible PCIe riser to put the GPU outside the case.

2 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

A server is just a pc it has a cpu and ram just like any other pc a game will run fine i have an x5460 play game on it fine 

wow, how much for this?? and I am in china

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

They work fine.  Just get a PCIe or USB sound card.

Also, getting a full size GPU into a 1u server is a challenge.  I used a flexible PCIe riser to put the GPU outside the case.

but sounds too loud to me, can fix this problem?

1 minute ago, cattei said:

wow, how much for this?? and I am in china

its like 5$ for an x5460 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

what server are you looking at? Not all servers are loud, but a desktop is better at desktop tasks normally.

Cant get around that in 1u.  Maybe mod another case and put larger heatsinks and larger fans on things.

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Cant get around that in 1u.  Maybe mod another case and put larger heatsinks and larger fans on things.

oh, 1U is too week to me, I need 2U server that make me feel different from PC which I already have one.

Just now, cattei said:

oh, 1U is too week to me, I need 2U server that make me feel different from PC which I already have one.

1U servers can have insanely powerful hardware, its just small and loud.

For an acoustically better server, go 4u.

2 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

This cpu is not listed in Ark.

it's E5620 ,sorry for worng type

Ermmm.. If I'm not mistaken the R720 uses socket R... The E5620 is socket B

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

8 year old cpu is not fast. For a large NAS it is okay. For gaming this cpu is to slow.

any suggestion for cpu? I'm buying from taobao, it support customise

5 minutes ago, Razor02097 said:

Ermmm.. If I'm not mistaken the R720 uses socket R... The E5620 is socket B

aha, don't know that, maybe coz it's a old version. 

aha, don't know that, maybe coz it's a old version. 

If it has 2 E5620 then it is likely an R710. If that is the case and it includes a gen 1 board you'll be limited to 95 watt TDP processors. In that range you could look around for the X5570 processors which would clock in at 2.93GHz and boost to 3.33GHz. These older Xeons aren't going to perform like newer gaming CPUs... dual CPUs and more cores aren't going to help you that much with games...if at all.

IMO there are better choices out there if you want to build a gaming PC out of a server. These retired servers are great for running VMs or making a big NAS managing SANs or something. Consider the possibility of building a gaming computer into a rack mount server case...I think you would be a lot happier in the end.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Razor02097 said:

If it has 2 E5620 then it is likely an R710. If that is the case and it includes a gen 1 board you'll be limited to 95 watt TDP processors. In that range you could look around for the X5570 processors which would clock in at 2.93GHz and boost to 3.33GHz. These older Xeons aren't going to perform like newer gaming CPUs... dual CPUs and more cores aren't going to help you that much with games...if at all.

IMO there are better choices out there if you want to build a gaming PC out of a server. These retired servers are great for running VMs or making a big NAS managing SANs or something. Consider the possibility of building a gaming computer into a rack mount server case...I think you would be a lot happier in the end.

mumm IC, thank you so much. 

1 hour ago, Razor02097 said:

Why step down from a 5600 to a 5500 series? Almost all 5600 chips are 6-cores where almost all 5500s are 4-core. The X5670 is the real killer chip.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Also, boot times for those R720 are long. Definitely doable though. Look at the Linus videos: 2 Gamers, 1 CPU and 7 Gamers, 1 CPU. Sounds like this is what you want to do.

Just now, tHe Admirer said:

Also, boot times for those R720 are long. Definitely doable though. Look at the Linus videos: 2 Gamers, 1 CPU and 7 Gamers, 1 CPU. Sounds like this is what you want to do.

nope, I have saw that video, but it's a PC not server. 

Just now, cattei said:

nope, I have saw that video, but it's a PC not server. 

Will work the same.

Also, if the server costs $1200, why not buy a gaming PC? Being in China, you should get the cheapest prices on computer components?

Just now, tHe Admirer said:

Will work the same.

Also, if the server costs $1200, why not buy a gaming PC? Being in China, you should get the cheapest prices on computer components?

yeah, most components is very cheap. anyway, I already have a alienware 17'' laptop with 1070 that enough for game. but I just want to know did the server can do the game pc job? just for fun :)

If it's just for fun, follow those videos (using UnRaid). It will work and should be a nice learning curve. Wish I could play with toys like those. :D

3 minutes ago, tHe Admirer said:

If it's just for fun, follow those videos (using UnRaid). It will work and should be a nice learning curve. Wish I could play with toys like those. :D

haha, if my server plan works will let you know. 

Yeah, keep us posted and ask if you have questions. I am sure the guys/gals will help with pleasure. :)