7700k idle temps after delid

Breakdown13

I just did my first delid on my i7 7700k and haven’t gotten over 71c under load. The question I have is I don’t notice much difference in idle temps after the delid. Is this normal? I am around 29-33c  idle.

thabks 

Yeah, it's normal for idle temps to vary much less. For one because heat dissipation is a lot lower at lower temps, and also because the computer is slowing down the fan automatically when at low temps unless you have your CPU cooler fans set to a constant rate.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Also, remember that the CPU CAN NOT idle below ambient temps.  Even close to ambient temps.

When you consider your room is probably 20C.  The extra 15-20 degrees is nothing.

Thanks and I also noticed there was some differences in core temps while under load.

core 0- 72c

core1-59c

core 2-67

core3-65

is it normal to have 10+ degrees difference?

13 minutes ago, Breakdown13 said:

Bump! 

Just quote people, they won't see a bump unless they're actually browsing this specific sub-forum, a quote actually gives them a notification. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

9 hours ago, Breakdown13 said:

Thanks and I also noticed there was some differences in core temps while under load.

core 0- 72c

core1-59c

core 2-67

core3-65

is it normal to have 10+ degrees difference?

Can be if core0 is doing most of the heavy lifting and the rest is just supporting.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Just quote people, they won't see a bump unless they're actually browsing this specific sub-forum, a quote actually gives them a notification. 

Oh ok cool thanks for the advice! 

7 minutes ago, tikker said:

Can be if core0 is doing most of the heavy lifting and the rest is just supporting.

Are those decent temps under load for an I7-7700k after delidding?

The difference in core temps could also be related to bad TIM application. I am assuming you did a good job painting the DIE with the LM, but you probably don't have the best TIM application between the IHS and heatsink.

Also temp at idle will change very little with a delid. The process of delidding is to help the thermal transfer between the DIE>IHS>Block. So at idle when there is little load this doesn't really do much, but at load it makes sure the heat can move away from the chip and to your cooling solution faster which is where you will see the most gains.

I would reapply TIM between your IHS and Heatsink and see if your core temps get more consistant. If not then it could be an issue with your LM application, but it isn't a huge issue either way as the temps are still well under thermal limit.

20 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

The difference in core temps could also be related to bad TIM application. I am assuming you did a good job painting the DIE with the LM, but you probably don't have the best TIM application between the IHS and heatsink.

Also temp at idle will change very little with a delid. The process of delidding is to help the thermal transfer between the DIE>IHS>Block. So at idle when there is little load this doesn't really do much, but at load it makes sure the heat can move away from the chip and to your cooling solution faster which is where you will see the most gains.

I would reapply TIM between your IHS and Heatsink and see if your core temps get more consistant. If not then it could be an issue with your LM application, but it isn't a huge issue either way as the temps are still well under thermal limit.

Thank you! I will do that. Yeah I am pretty sure I did fine with the LM and the Lm on the underside of the IHS. I will reapply and see what happens.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Breakdown13 said:

Thank you! I will do that. Yeah I am pretty sure I did fine with the LM and the Lm on the underside of the IHS. I will reapply and see what happens.

Thanks!

Stress the CPU with something and then check what the temps for all cores peak at and make adjustments from there.  At stock voltage and speed, after a delid, you should stay under 75 degrees no matter what.

At least my 7700k does with a Noctua D15.

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Stress the CPU with something and then check what the temps for all cores peak at and make adjustments from there.  At stock voltage and speed, after a delid, you should stay under 75 degrees no matter what.

At least my 7700k does with a Noctua D15.

I am sorry I should have clarified. Those temps are under full load stress with Prime95. The highest I got was 72 degrees I was just concerned about the 13 degrees variance between core 0 and core 1