Phone upgrade from Google Pixel

Revamp

Hey there guys, I am in needing of some suggestions for a new phone. I currently have the Google Pixel and do like it, just getting a little bored and wanting something with better battery life.

I have been considering the S9 but am just stumped on what I want to get. I currently use Verizon but am considering switching to another carrier. I am looking for something thin and light, but with a solid battery life. I am typically using a lot of apps that drain the battery such as Strava for walks/mountain bike trails, trail GPS while biking, constantly using teamviewer while at work, and stuff like that. I also do like to play mobile games especially during downtimes at work. With my Pixel I am seeing about 6-8hours of usage on the battery life.

I have no problem rooting the phone and using ROMs that are easier on the battery. My budget is also around $1,000 or under preferably, or willing to do around $40/mo.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

1 minute ago, Hip said:

I'd rather choose something like the Xiaomi Mi6 instead. Or a Oneplus 5T. It's far more cheaper and has a great battery.

Could be wrong, but when I looked into the OnePlus in the past, I thought it didn't get the Verizon LTE bands?

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

3 minutes ago, Revamp said:

Could be wrong, but when I looked into the OnePlus in the past, I thought it didn't get the Verizon LTE bands?

OnePlus 5T Bands

LTE

Supports 3xCA
Supports 64QAM & 256QAM
Supports up to DL CAT 12 (600 Mbps)
UL CAT 13 (150 Mbps) depending on carrier support

Bands

FDD LTE: Band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/18/19/20/25/26/28/29/30/66
TDD-LTE: Band 34/38/39/40/41
TD-SCDMA: Band 34/39
UMTS(WCDMA): Band 1/2/4/5/8
CDMA: BC0
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Maybe check before if Verizion has them (OnePlus 5T).

Xiaomi Mi6 Bands

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz CDMA1X/EVDO BC0
WCDMA: B1/B2/B5/B8
TDD-SCDMA: B34/B39
FDD-LTE: B1/B3/B5/B7/B8
TD-LTE: B38/B39/B40/B41

Honestly? If your budget is $1000 get an iPhone X. Idk about you, but my Pixel (and Android in general over my last 4 phones) has been pissing me off.

8 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

Pixel 2 XL

Not a fan of the XL phones just because I have smaller hands and if I'm manipulating my phone with gloves on the bike and such, its a lot easier to manage with the smaller-ish phones. Is the regular pixel 2 a notable upgrade over the pixel 1?

7 minutes ago, Hip said:

-snip-

Looks like it does in fact not work with Verizon unfortunately :( According to this article at PhoneArena

7 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Honestly? If your budget is $1000 get an iPhone X. Idk about you, but my Pixel (and Android in general over my last 4 phones) has been pissing me off.

Should have clarified I am strictly looking for Android. I have had no issues with Android, and personally hate Iphones. I also have no other apple products and personally don't like iTunes and such and don't want to have to manage one more account as-is.

Just now, huilun02 said:

Do you need 3.5mm jack or any specific app?

If you willing to wait, the Xiaomi Mi MAX 3

Else get the OP5T. 3300mAh battery with SD835 powering a 1080p oled screen.

The combination of battery, chipset power efficiency and less work required to power a 1080p oled screen, means it will endure for significantly longer.

OP5T does not work with Verizon

As for specifics, I would highly prefer a 3.5mm jack as I use headphones daily for work.

Just now, Revamp said:

Not a fan of the XL phones just because I have smaller hands and if I'm manipulating my phone with gloves on the bike and such, its a lot easier to manage with the smaller-ish phones. Is the regular pixel 2 a notable upgrade over the pixel 1?

Looks like it does in fact not work with Verizon unfortunately :( According to this article at PhoneArena

Should have clarified I am strictly looking for Android. I have had no issues with Android, and personally hate Iphones. I also have no other apple products and personally don't like iTunes and such and don't want to have to manage one more account as-is.

I noticed a much bigger different in terms of speed and performance. At launch there were a lot of bugs. Now they have been settled. 

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Being Delirious said:

I noticed a much bigger different in terms of speed and performance. At launch there were a lot of bugs. Now they have been settled. 

how's the battery life on the 2 compared to original? I highly considered doing the trade your pixel 1 for a discount on pixel 2 + google home deal but ended up waiting.

2 minutes ago, Revamp said:

Both don't work for you then. Band 13 is missing.

To be honest I would rather buy the S8 than the S9 because of the price. Don't just buy the latest one because it's new, take the one that fits you. It doesn't make a sense to buy a phone with features that you won't use.

Just now, Revamp said:

how's the battery life on the 2 compared to original? I highly considered doing the trade your pixel 1 for a discount on pixel 2 + google home deal but ended up waiting.

Pretty good, depends on what your doing tho. You get about 6-7 hours battery life watch movies or youtube videos. In general my phone last the whole day without touching it.

The geek himself.

4 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

Pretty good, depends on what your doing tho. You get about 6-7 hours battery life watch movies or youtube videos. In general my phone last the whole day without touching it.

That's close to what im getting with my Pixel1, however those all day trips to the mountain bike park, I find myself going to the car and sitting there for an hour to let my phone charge. I could get a portable charger I know but just wanted something a little better. I don't play pokemon go anymore, but games like that which use a lot of battery, I found I could only get about 1-2hour before needing a charge, and even when using a portable charger my phone would deplete faster than it would charge. Just trying to avoid these issues.

3 minutes ago, Kriss ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

Get the OnePlus 6

Wait for reviews though.

reviews from every OnePlus shows it doesn't worth with Verizon. I doubt there will be much change with the 6 :(

9 minutes ago, Kriss ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

Id consider switching to another carrier then, if i were you.

Please read OP lol. As mentioned in the original post that I currently use Verizon but am considering switching.

Just not many good options around me.