Skyrim: how much ram do you really need?

alright so here's the story, my friend purchased a 680 2gb with incentives to use it to cram as many mods as he can into Skyrim. After doing so, he ended up with massive frame fluctuation. After being somewhat disappointed, he looked at evga precision and saw that he was using ALL of his ram to play skyrim and came to a conclusion that the limitations in ram caused the frame drops.

He has an i5 3570k at like 4.4GHz stable so I don't think there's a CPU bottleneck

He rocks a 1080p monitor

Alright so here's the question....He wants to get a video card with 6gb of ram (7970 toxic Edtition/GTX Titan) while I say he should get a video card with 4gb of ram (R9 290/290x)...(when the non-reference is out)

I say grab an R9 290 or 290x (when asus makes a non-reference version)

And he says he want's a 7970 6gb or a GTX Titan

What do you guys think? how much ram do you guys use when playing Skyrim with tons of mods? Do you think 4gb is enough? can 1080p gaming even use more than 4gb?

Give me good non-biased answers guys, I will be linking this thread to him.

He does no need NO WAY IN HELL needs to get a card with 6 gigs of memory

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

4GB is enough. Even 3 is perfect for modded Skyrim

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

My bad guys, I meant VRAM

If he modded skyrim that much to the point it used 4gb+ of vram, 7970/titan would struggle, A LOT. we're talking 15fps..

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I have a 7950 with 3 gigs of ram and I only ever get to 1GB of the frame buffer filled. I end up using more system ram than video ram with 113 mods.

Interesting, how much system ram you use? more than 8gb?

Interesting, how much system ram you use? more than 8gb?

I was using 8 GB total with Samsung RAPID eating 2 GB of system ram. Leaving 1 GB to Windows and ~1 GB(probably more than actually used) for everything else running, I probably ate 4 GB of system ram with Skyrim.

3GB-4GB, 6 would be pointless you'd never even get close. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum