Free antivirus?

As my Avast Premier licence ended I was just wondering are there any free options ?  Or is Windows defender enough? 

I personally just use Windows Defender and common sense.

I've seen Malwarebytes recommended, but don't have any personal experience with it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Protegent!  

Actually malwarebytes is really good.

malwarebytes all the way. also avast has a free option

CPU: AMD FX 4170 @ 4.7ghz Motherboard: Asus M5A97-R2.0 RAM: 11GB DDR3-1600 GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 780ti 3GB Reference Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout Storage: 1x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 1x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 1x 500gb Hitachi 7200RPM  PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W Display: Dell U2410 (1920x1200 @ 60hz, 24") Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, 3x 140mm Cooler Master fan Keyboard: Lenovo OEM keyboard (membrane) Mouse: Redragon Centrophorus Sound: Sound Blaster xFi sound card & Marley Good Vibrations headphones Operating System: Windows 10 1809

You can just use Windows Defender and enable Controlled Folder Access for ransomware protection 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-defender-exploit-guard/enable-controlled-folders-exploit-guard

Or if you want you can try Kaspersky Free https://usa.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus what’s good about this is that it won’t give you nagging notifications to upgrade to paid 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 hours ago, flamea said:

As my Avast Premier licence ended I was just wondering are there any free options ?  Or is Windows defender enough? 

9 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I personally just use Windows Defender and common sense.

I've seen Malwarebytes recommended, but don't have any personal experience with it.

9 hours ago, DrAwesome821 said:

malwarebytes all the way. also avast has a free option

As an IT Consultant, I stress to my clients that the best AV is CommonSense™ combined with the built in security of your OS and MBAM Premium, since MBAM free does not actively scan. Also good to note is that @Blebekblebek is correct that MBAM is not technically an antivirus in a traditional sense as it only does behavioral and heuristics based scanning of active processes and memory values. This isn't a bad thing though if you have CommonSense™ since you won't be clicking on suspicious links anyway, so definition based file scanning isn't really needed. However, if you (or your clients) are missing CommonSense™ (which cannot be purchased), then I'd recommend Kaspersky Free (or paid, if you want to buy something decent) or ESET Smart Security for an AV suite.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

9 hours ago, flamea said:

Avast free is just as good. It does come with some crap like the browser and Safe Price though. Just do a custom install. I consider myself to have plenty of common sense, but it's saved me a number of times. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440