What is the point upgrading from 1080p 24" to 27" 1440p if pixel density is the same.

tehx
3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, it’s an old joke from something Bill Gates said. The numbers might have been different but the principle is the same. 

My birthday may be tomorrow (no that's not a prank), but I'm not old enough for that. xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, it’s an old joke from something Bill Gates said. The numbers might have been different but the principle is the same. 

Well... :P

Excerpted from: CAREER OPPORTUNITIES IN COMPUTING -- AND MORE (1/19)
                <http://nytsyn.com/live/Gates/019_011996_094929_4351.html>

By BILL GATES
             c.1996 Bloomberg Business News
[...]
QUESTION: I read in a newspaper that in 1981 you said, ``640K of memory should
be enough for anybody.'' What did you mean when you said this?

ANSWER: I've said some stupid things and some wrong things, but not that. No
one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is
enough for all time.

The need for memory increases as computers get more potent and software gets
more powerful. In fact, every couple of years the amount of memory address
space needed to run whatever software is mainstream at the time just about
doubles. This is well-known.

When IBM introduced its PC in 1981, many people attacked Microsoft for its
role. These critics said that 8-bit computers, which had 64K of address space,
would last forever. They said we were wastefully throwing out great 8-bit
programming by moving the world toward 16-bit computers.

We at Microsoft disagreed. We knew that even 16-bit computers, which had 640K
of available address space, would be adequate for only four or five years. (The
IBM PC had 1 megabyte of logical address space. But 384K of this was assigned
to special purposes, leaving 640K of memory available. That's where the
now-infamous ``640K barrier'' came from.)

A few years later, Microsoft was a big fan of Intel's 386 microprocessor chip,
which gave computers a 32-bit address space.

Modern operating systems can now take advantage of that seemingly vast
potential memory. But even 32 bits of address space won't prove adequate as
time goes on.

Meanwhile, I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says
640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats
like a rumor, repeated again and again.

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Well... :P

Meme > Else

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 hours ago, ShoshinUK said:

When I went from 24 1080p to 27 1440p the difference in gaming (specifically Squad, a medium paced ranged FPS) was there - despite the same or similar PPI.

Spotting and Hitting targets at range was simply easier.

2 things are relevant now I think about it, I stayed the same distance from the screen and my eyes are old so bigger 'things' are easier to see.

I'm not sure of the science but that was the reality. I know alot of decent Squad players that did what I did and all say the same. 27 1440p is simply better than 24 1080p in Squad and similar games.

I now run a 32 1440p screen, and thats even better for the same reasons!

I don't know/care about the other stuff as all I do is game on the PC but i'm told productivity goes up re the screen space etc.

Why do they still use 1080p monitors in esports then

18 hours ago, Assassinguy2623 said:

I honestly don't get it - what is the point upgrading from a 1080p 24" monitor to a 1440p 27" montior the pixel density is practically the same with both monitors. Ok, some people may argue you are getting a bigger screen without loss in sharpness but what is the point in a bigger screen you are just going to have to move further away from it so it will basically be the same experience as 1080p 24".I mean 24" in a perfectly usable size. Or am i missing something here

More pixels.

Pixel density is only 1 measurement.

Imagine a photo. You have at least 2 measurements to what it looks like. Size of the photo. How blurred/focused the photo is.

Pixel density == how "focused/blurred" an image looks.

Size == size... how much you can *fit* in the photo.

So a larger screen at the same pixel density = more visible on screen for the same clarity. For example, you can fit more text.

A larger screen at a lower pixel density = larger screen, but same amount of text.

A smaller screen at a higher pixel density = more text, but smaller!

You seem to think only one person exists on this planet... and they are a gamer. ???

What do you guys think about 24" 1440p? It seems to look good since ppi increases comparing to 24" 1080p. Who tried doing videos and photo work on such monitor? 

19 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

You seem to think only one person exists on this planet... and they are a gamer. ???

Cheers for the info fella it has helped me learn, I am fully aware there are other types of PC user but I only try and post about my own use case. (I realise you were not quoting me).

Whilst crude, I did measure the same image on a 27 1440p screen vs my newer 32 1440p screen and from memory there was about a 10% difference in overall size this is significant for me in Squad, as bigger things are easier to spot/hit at range for me with my poor eye sight.

I also enhance the picture with Squads in game super sampling, that goes to 1.5 and this helps with the clarity of picture for sure.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

49 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Because they are sponsored by companies like BenQ, and that's what the sponsor decided to provide.

Well still, i am happy with my 2 24" 1080p 144hz monitors and should last me a little while 

ps: do u think 1080ti is overkill for them?

4 minutes ago, Assassinguy2623 said:

Well still, i am happy with my 2 24" 1080p 144hz monitors and should last me a little while 

ps: do u think 1080ti is overkill for them?

Ehh, people said my 780 Ti was way overkill for 1080p when it came out... But games get tougher as time goes on.

7 hours ago, Assassinguy2623 said:

Why do they still use 1080p monitors in esports then

Because Squad and similar are not esports, also I should imagine there's alot todo with what sells more and 1080p was the standard and likely remains that way globally.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

On 4/1/2018 at 5:58 AM, MementoMori said:

What do you guys think about 24" 1440p? It seems to look good since ppi increases comparing to 24" 1080p. Who tried doing videos and photo work on such monitor? 

It's not a good size for 1440p, which really comes into it's own at the sweet spot of 27". 

They really need to make more 24" IPS 1440p 144Hz monitors. Manufacturers need to realize many don't want large monitors though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

• 1 year later...

A 27" 1440p monitor has 109 ppi (pixels per inch) while a 24'' 1080p has 92 ppi so right out of the gate that is 19% more pixel density. You also typically view a larger monitor from further away which will perspectively make it sharper