Seeking advice on setting up a PLEX server

I'm looking into getting a home NAS and using it as a PLEX server to stream 1080p and, occasionally for now but increasingly over time, 4k content, and I'd like some advice.

Question 1: I think a 2-bay NAS would be fine for my needs. I was thinking about starting with one 8TB drive and add another down the road, but it's been close to 20 years since I did anything with RAID. Would this cause issues?

Question 2: Right now the top affordable NAS options appear to be a Synology DS218+ or a QNAP TS-251+. Are they adequate for 1080p and 4k streaming? If I go for more expensive NAS options, it seems like it would be cheaper to build a dedicated PC for it, which brings me to Question 3.

Question 3: Does anyone have any other NAS recommendations? Is there a more affordable small form factor PC option that would do just as well or better than an ~$300 NAS?

1. That will work, normally with jbod you can just add a second drive to the pool in those boxes.

2. Do you want transcoding, if not they can do it fine, if you want transcoidng 1080p is going to be fine.

3. This is what id personally suggest doing.

20 minutes ago, ZenMonkey said:

I'm looking into getting a home NAS and using it as a PLEX server to stream 1080p and, occasionally for now but increasingly over time, 4k content, and I'd like some advice.

Question 1: I think a 2-bay NAS would be fine for my needs. I was thinking about starting with one 8TB drive and add another down the road, but it's been close to 20 years since I did anything with RAID. Would this cause issues?

Question 2: Right now the top affordable NAS options appear to be a Synology DS218+ or a QNAP TS-251+. Are they adequate for 1080p and 4k streaming? If I go for more expensive NAS options, it seems like it would be cheaper to build a dedicated PC for it, which brings me to Question 3.

Question 3: Does anyone have any other NAS recommendations? Is there a more affordable small form factor PC option that would do just as well or better than an ~$300 NAS?

I have a Western Digital PR4100 (NAS) running my Plex server and personally I find that the transcoding of the Intel Pentium N3710 1.6 GHz quad-core (Burst speed up to 2.56 GHz) chip can handle 1080p content most of the time but definitely would not be able to do 4k content. If you are set on running 4k content, from my experience your better off with a dedicated computer/server.

Keep in mind that if you plan to stream away from your home network, PLEX will be reliant on the upload speed of your current internet service. 10 Mbps for 1080p and 5 Mbps for 720P smooth. (You can try 1080p on 5 Mbps upload but you will end up with buffering/loading circles during stream)

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

1. That will work, normally with jbod you can just add a second drive to the pool in those boxes.

2. Do you want transcoding, if not they can do it fine, if you want transcoidng 1080p is going to be fine.

3. This is what id personally suggest doing.

I do want transcoding. I tried to run the files remotely using different software and found they would experience issues. PLEX was recommended, so right now I'm running it off my PC and it's been amazing and I've had no issues. I just want something a little more convenient. Do you have any suggestions on parts to build a SFF PC for PLEX for the same cost (approx $300 not including drives) that can house two 3.5" drives?

Just now, ZenMonkey said:

I do want transcoding. I tried to run the files remotely using different software and found they would experience issues. PLEX was recommended, so right now I'm running it off my PC and it's been amazing and I've had no issues. I just want something a little more convenient. Do you have any suggestions on parts to build a SFF PC for PLEX for the same cost (approx $300 not including drives) that can house two 3.5" drives?

your not doing 4k transcoding on a box for 300 bucks that not a loud power hungry used server.

id just get one of those nases unless you really need to transcode to 4k.

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

your not doing 4k transcoding on a box for 300 bucks that not a loud power hungry used server.

id just get one of those nases unless you really need to transcode to 4k.

Right now, it's 99.9% 1080p or lower, but I'd like to have the option once 4k video is more readily available without. Hmmm. Maybe my price point is unrealistic. The DS218+ description says it does 4k video, but it appears as though that's a bit of a stretch of the truth. Which NAS would you recommend for reliable 4k transcoding?

50 minutes ago, ZenMonkey said:

Right now, it's 99.9% 1080p or lower, but I'd like to have the option once 4k video is more readily available without. Hmmm. Maybe my price point is unrealistic. The DS218+ description says it does 4k video, but it appears as though that's a bit of a stretch of the truth. Which NAS would you recommend for reliable 4k transcoding?

It actually seems to do 4k transcoding with hardware(quicksync) so it should do 4k. I haven't tested this box though.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JTJRJ8

$860 including 16TB (4x 4TB) of drives, approx $370 without drives. You can easily change the case or PSU to get lower if you want.

As for the streaming, I would recommend plex when at home, for outside streaming remember that your internet upload speed and 3g/4g/wifi speed has to be pretty good... unless you limit your plex stream to a lower bitrate for outside.

[edit] IIRC with plex pass it can transcode with hardware, so you might be OK with the integrated GPU for that.. if not you may have to get a better CPU as that's what plex uses for transcoding as default non plex pass users.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

what CPUs are recommended if you want to transcode 4k content? I know it will cost a bit more but still looking for a reasonable price range.