Only one fan spinning on Dual-X cooler

xFluing

I recently got this HD 7850, it's got the Dual-X cooler on it, but for some reason the second fan spins only when the first one reaches around 80 or 90%. When the first reaches 80%, the second one wants to spin, it's moving, but it won't do anything, even if helped, only at 90% it starts to actually spin. It works fine otherwise, temps never getting too high (highest I got, which is what made me create this thread, was 82 in Crysis 2).

I would like to know if there would be a way to set the second fan to always spin, rather than only spin at 80+% of the first one.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

Software control I suspect. My guess is it's designed to do this. Only spin up when needed.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Software control I suspect. My guess is it's designed to do this. Only spin up when needed.

Thing is, it's only "needed" when the first fan reaches 90% or so which already sounds like a vacuum cleaner at that point, I want the second one to always be on, so as to not reach the vacuum cleaner point.

Edit: Tried with Afterburner, Trixx, but they didn't help, the second one will always start at 90% speed of the first.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

Also, Trixx tells me "VRM temps: not available" could it be that the second fan is controlled by the VRM temps, but the temp sensor broke? 

Screenshot_1.png

32 minutes ago, xFluing said:

Also, Trixx tells me "VRM temps: not available" could it be that the second fan is controlled by the VRM temps, but the temp sensor broke? 

Screenshot_1.png

If I remember correctly, these fans did have a feature where the second one only spun at high temps. There's gotta be a way to control these, you should try using Trixx to set a fan curve see if that does anything, and also MSI Afterburner, in case that one does control both.

The other thing I'd try is to rule out a faulty fan. Switch the 2 fans on the card and run it. If it's the same fan that doesn't spin, then you know it's gone bad. If that's the case, I have a proposed solution:

Spoiler

ijreA53.jpg

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

If I remember correctly, these fans did have a feature where the second one only spun at high temps. There's gotta be a way to control these, you should try using Trixx to set a fan curve see if that does anything, and also MSI Afterburner, in case that one does control both.

The other thing I'd try is to rule out a faulty fan. Switch the 2 fans on the card and run it. If it's the same fan that doesn't spin, then you know it's gone bad. If that's the case, I have a proposed solution:

Reveal hidden contents

ijreA53.jpg

Upon further inspection I seem to have the OC edition card, but running with the Eyefinity bios, and that's what may be causing these issues, it might fix itself if I set the right bios for it.

@xFluing Welcome to the "only one fan spins on my Sapphire card" club.

That seems to be one issue that plagues sapphire cards from that period (HD 7000 and R7/9 200).

I have R9 280X Toxic and only one of three fans is working the way it is supposed to. Other two only spin after 80%. There is at least another user on this forum who has 7870 with the same problem.

I suspect, but I'm not sure as I'm not an expert, nor have I done detailed testing, that it is a problem with fan controller on the card itself or some of the electronics in the fan itself. I came to this conclusion an two bigger fans on my card run off of a single header via a Y-splitter, so they are getting the same signal, but respond differently. 

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

2 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

@xFluing Welcome to the "only one fan spins on my Sapphire card" club.

That seems to be one issue that plagues sapphire cards from that period (HD 7000 and R7/9 200).

I have R9 280X Toxic and only one of three fans is working the way it is supposed to. Other two only spin after 80%. There is at least another user on this forum who has 7870 with the same problem.

I suspect, but I'm not sure as I'm not an expert, nor have I done detailed testing, that it is a problem with fan controller on the card itself or some of the electronics in the fan itself. I came to this conclusion an two bigger fans on my card run off of a single header via a Y-splitter, so they are getting the same signal, but respond differently. 

I found out that I have the OC Edition card, but it has the bios of the Eyefinity edition one, so this might be what is causing it, and I'm thinking of re-flashing, but I'm too afraid I'll brick it.

2 minutes ago, xFluing said:

I found out that I have the OC Edition card, but it has the bios of the Eyefinity edition one, so this might be what is causing it, and I'm thinking of re-flashing, but I'm too afraid I'll brick it.

Have you read anything that correcting the bios will brick the card?  From what you have stated, you already have the incorrect version and the card still partially works.

Just now, xFluing said:

I found out that I have the OC Edition card, but it has the bios of the Eyefinity edition one, so this might be what it's causing it, and I'm thinking of re-flashing, but I'm too afraid I'll brick it.

That could possibly be it. Although I personally don't think so, as my card has both legacy and UEFI bios and does same thing in both.

Too make sure which version of the card you have, inspect if phisicaly for stickers with model number.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

1 minute ago, MikeSK said:

Have you read anything that correcting the bios will brick the card?  From what you have stated, you already have the incorrect version and the card still partially works.

He meant he was afraid of the process, as if you mess up anything you end up with a bricked card, not that correct bios will mess up the card.