450W power supply

MancorJ
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

You're trusting $2,500 worth of PC parts with a $30 power supply that is showing signs it is failing and unable to handle the load your system is putting on it...

... And you're still questioning whether or not you should replace it?

Yes. Replace it.

With the 4.5Ghz overclock and your GPU boost you will probably be using 450W or more which will explain the unexpected crashes. At the very least you should disable your overclock until you replace the PSU.

Just now, MancorJ said:

lol i literally have a 450w now x d

It's still a significant upgrade, and 450W is plenty for a 1080 system. You could run a 1080 Ti and an HEDT platform with 400W under a gaming load. 

:)

Just now, MancorJ said:

lol i literally have a 450w now x d

Wattage isn't the problem, your system shouldnt use more than 350.

Though you could try RMA your PSU for free (or shipping cost)

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, MancorJ said:

below stock, i tried stock and nothing changed

That's odd. Something's faulty, but I doubt it's the PSU. What voltage did you run the CPU at, and for how long?

:)

Just now, JDE said:

Wattage isn't the problem, your system shouldnt use more than 350.

Though you could try RMA your PSU for free (or shipping cost)

what if you thats the one box you didn't keep out of all your pc parts xD

5 minutes ago, MancorJ said:

underclocked my cpu and the freezing stopped in almost everything.  Also i have a bunch of led strips x d

3 minutes ago, MancorJ said:

below stock, i tried stock and nothing changed

Sounds like something else could be going on here.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

That's odd. Something's faulty, but I doubt it's the PSU. What voltage did you run the CPU at, and for how long?

what im thinkin, the way this started happening when i got a heavier power drawing graphics card (about 40-60W more), the psu fan started making noises, and the way everthing freezes when the gpu goes under full load, im thinkin it might be the psu

5 minutes ago, MancorJ said:

the way this started happening when i got a heavier power drawing graphics card (about 40-60W more)

The problems only started when you changed graphics cards? I thought it started when you swapped PSUs?

What model was your old GPU?
 If you still have it, try installing the old graphics card and testing it to see if there are any instabilities in the system still.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Sounds like something else could be going on here.

either way, im  not gonna tear my computer apart and try everything when im getting a new psu .  When a new psu i will clock my cpu back up to stock and update ya. (I only went a bit under clocked, about .2 ghz )  in anyway, im not gonna tear everything apart if im gonna get a new psu in 2 days.  (I also unplugged a bunch of peripherals aka: 2 mics, xbox controller, headphones, etc

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The problems only started when you changed graphics cards? I thought it started when you swapped PSUs?

If you still have it, try installing the old graphics card and testing it to see if there are any instabilities in the system still.

The graphics card is from my bro, i bought it from him when he got a 1080 ti and it worked fine.

Edit: i had a 1050 ti and i sold it

2 minutes ago, MancorJ said:

The graphics card is from my bro, i bought it from him when he got a 1080 ti and it worked fine.

If your 1080 has been used and is known to be good in another machine (your brothers) then that's a good sign that it's probably not a hardware issue with the graphics card.
Could still be some other issue with it if you only started having problems with it when you installed it such as a bad driver.

Can you download MSI Afterburner and let the hardware monitor run while you're in game. It should give some insight to what your GPU and CPU are doing while you're in game and experiencing those issues if it is perhaps temperature or voltage related.

It could be worthwhile spending the time doing some more troubleshooting if it saves you spending money on replacing a part that may not be responsible for the issue.

Just now, Spotty said:

If your 1080 has been used and is known to be good in another machine (your brothers) then that's a good sign that it's probably not a hardware issue with the graphics card.
Could still be some other issue with it if you only started having problems with it when you installed it such as a bad driver.

Can you download MSI Afterburner and let the hardware monitor run while you're in game. It should give some insight to what your GPU and CPU are doing while you're in game and experiencing those issues if it is perhaps temperature or voltage related.

It could be worthwhile spending the time doing some more troubleshooting if it saves you spending money on replacing a part that may not be responsible for the issue.

I have used afterburner for years now, na nothing out of the ordinary really except when (of course i have said this before) when it spikes to 100% it will more often then not crash the program.  (also whenever i ran heaven benchmark etc, when the graphics card continually maxed out it would freeze up in seconds.  Since i clocked it down a bit, i ran heaven benchmark again and it worked perfectly)  So im still lead to believe that i was pushing that 450w mark there.  Also my psu has been quieter since the downclock

Also personally i know its not the question or anything but, what psu would you get for 60-75 bucks?

11 minutes ago, MancorJ said:

Also personally i know its not the question or anything but, what psu would you get for 60-75 bucks?

Focus Plus Gold like I said above can be got for $55

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Focus Plus Gold like I said above can be got for $55

k sick

1 minute ago, MancorJ said:

Yes, that would be very good.

Also Seon gave some really good suggestions here, though they are a little more expensive around the $85-$100 mark so you may have to shop around for a special.

50 minutes ago, seon123 said:

You should be looking at things like the 450-550W Formula, Straight Power 11, TXM, Focus Plus Gold, RMx or Whisper M. 

4 minutes ago, MancorJ said:

Yeah there's the one I was talking about, tho I was looking at the rebate price.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, JDE said:

Yeah there's the one I was talking about, tho I was looking at the rebate price.

it has a $25 rebate

Okay i bought that sick psu, i'll update on everything when i get it in about a week

@JDE @Spotty I got the new power supply yesterday and installed it.  Since then I re-overclocked my processor and all the issues i have been having have completely disappeared.  I guess I was just pushing the limits too far with that old psu.  Anyway thought you guys might want to know.  No crashes in anything i use at all.  Thanks guys

51 minutes ago, MancorJ said:

I got the new power supply yesterday and installed it.  Since then I re-overclocked my processor and all the issues i have been having have completely disappeared.  I guess I was just pushing the limits too far with that old psu.  Anyway thought you guys might want to know.  No crashes in anything i use at all.  Thanks guys

Great to hear!
Might be a good idea to run a stress test such as Aida64's built in test for an hour or more to ensure that the overclocks are stable and you won't have any issues with them.

22 hours ago, Spotty said:

Great to hear!
Might be a good idea to run a stress test such as Aida64's built in test for an hour or more to ensure that the overclocks are stable and you won't have any issues with them.

yeah, I ran aida overnight and everything seems good.  Thanks again man