Asus zenfone 4. Thoughts?

foon-fork

My Zenfone 2 is starting to have its screen fail, and its been three years since I bought it.

What are your thoughts about the zenfone 4? I have an upper budget of roughly 400 bucks and i would find it really awkward to switch from a 1080p screen to a 720p screen.

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

get a 5T

That's over twice my budget

1 minute ago, foon-fork said:

That's over twice my budget

499 right?

Save up for a bit and get that one or a Essential Phone

My life

I'll reiterate. I have the money to get a oneplus 5t, I just think its not the smartest decision to blow this entire month's budget.

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

499 right?

It ranges from 750 to 850 on amazon. I just had a couple of big expenses, so i won't really get any more money until late april.

It ranges from 750 to 850 on amazon. I just had a couple of big expenses, so i won't really get any more money until late april.

Get the essential phone then

Your supposed to buy the phones of their respective websites

otherwise look into the Moto X2 or the Samsung A5

My life

Just now, foon-fork said:

roughly 500 USD, into CAD makes me a bit scared.

ah

what\s your budget in CAD

My life

400, but I'm willing to push it to 550 at the max. Its not a lack of funds problem, its a problem with how I'm going to get through the next month with only 200 bucks if i get a flagship 1000 buck phone

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

what\s your budget in CAD

That's why I'm thinking about the budget friendly phones like the zenfone 4 max. Or perhaps a galaxy s7 as they're sold by our canada computers overlords now.

That's why I'm thinking about the budget friendly phones like the zenfone 4 max. Or perhaps a galaxy s7 as they're sold by our canada computers overlords now.

A used S7 is a great option.I managed to get a regular S7 for 250 on kijiji.The Edge is slighty more and you could be looking at 300 -350

My life

Personally, I do think that the Zenfone 4 is the best choice at your budget. It's pretty much the best specs you can get at that price. However, if you can save up for a 5T or Essential phone, those would be significantly better. At your price range currently, it is the best. Unless you're going used, then it's probably a last gen phone like the S7

Just now, jefire411 said:

The zenfone 4 is 720p?

The zenfone 4 max is 720p. Its 230 bucks, but the price makes me a bit.... skeptical about its quality.

1 hour ago, foon-fork said:

My Zenfone 2 is starting to have its screen fail, and its been three years since I bought it.

What are your thoughts about the zenfone 4? I have an upper budget of roughly 400 bucks and i would find it really awkward to switch from a 1080p screen to a 720p screen.

After my experience with the Zenfone 2, I wouldn't even consider touching another Asus phone again. Within the first 6 months it had to be factory reset as it got incredibly slow out of nowhere, then within another 6 months the front camera died, touch screen started pressing randomly, the phone wouldn't keep the screen off, and if the camera app was open at all, the phone would heat up to 90c+ in less than a minute. I hadn't gotten it wet or dropped it.

Not to mention Asus saying they'd release Android 6.0 for the Zenfone 2 in I think early 2016, but even a year later there was no update available, and I couldn't find any info on if/when it would be coming. (Though at that point I had given up on the pile of crap and bought a Galaxy S7 instead.)

At $400, you could easily get a certified refurbished Galaxy S7 and have money to spare (Depending on which one you get). I would definitely recommend it over another Asus phone.
I've been using my S7 now for nearly two years and haven't had to factory reset it once. It's still getting software updates too. (Currently on Android 7, and Android 8 should be coming within a few months.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01MYZBNXP/ref=olp_twister_child?ie=UTF8&mv_color_name=3&mv_style_name=2

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

With your budget, I'd look at either the Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom, or ZTE Axon 7.

Both are currently on sale.

It'd help if you told us what you use your phone most for though. They're not all created equal ;)

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875705054&cm_re=axon_7-_-75-705-054-_-Product

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875220054&cm_re=zenfone_3_zoom-_-75-220-054-_-Product

9 hours ago, Himommies said:

Get the essential phone then

Your supposed to buy the phones of their respective websites

otherwise look into the Moto X2 or the Samsung A5

Pretty sure the 5T is no longer in stock for North America, and won't be again.

7 hours ago, TheKDub said:

After my experience with the Zenfone 2, I wouldn't even consider touching another Asus phone again. Within the first 6 months it had to be factory reset as it got incredibly slow out of nowhere, then within another 6 months the front camera died, touch screen started pressing randomly, the phone wouldn't keep the screen off, and if the camera app was open at all, the phone would heat up to 90c+ in less than a minute. I hadn't gotten it wet or dropped it.

Not to mention Asus saying they'd release Android 6.0 for the Zenfone 2 in I think early 2016, but even a year later there was no update available, and I couldn't find any info on if/when it would be coming. (Though at that point I had given up on the pile of crap and bought a Galaxy S7 instead.)

At $400, you could easily get a certified refurbished Galaxy S7 and have money to spare (Depending on which one you get). I would definitely recommend it over another Asus phone.
I've been using my S7 now for nearly two years and haven't had to factory reset it once. It's still getting software updates too. (Currently on Android 7, and Android 8 should be coming within a few months.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01MYZBNXP/ref=olp_twister_child?ie=UTF8&mv_color_name=3&mv_style_name=2

It's kind of unfair to base a company on phones that were put out what...4 years ago now? Especially since it was their first real entry into a competitive space. Their phones are significantly better now, and honestly of all the companies I've tried they have superb community involvement. Not only that, the phone you had was based on an Intel processor, which is likely why it was rather touchy. There's a reason they're not everywhere.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 hours ago, dizmo said:

It'd help if you told us what you use your phone most for though.

I use my phone to read books on the train ride to school, and to work, very frequent texting and calling, and some light gaming on it as well. I don't use a lot of social media.

10 hours ago, foon-fork said:

I use my phone to read books on the train ride to school, and to work, very frequent texting and calling, and some light gaming on it as well. I don't use a lot of social media.

I highly recommend the Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom then. It has great features, and a battery that will last you long enough that you can read to your hearts content. I charge my phone ever 2 days, and use it heavily; the phone averages 12 hours of screen on time. Most other phones I've used in the same manor have lasted 4.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

At this price point, it's best to go used, IMO, because it's around $100 shy of where the best phones begin (high-res OLED, 800 series Snapdragon, etc.).

Used S8?

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

My mum found out that i was int he market for a new phone and she forced me to buy new :(

I bought the huawei honour 7x, and to be honest I would prefer to have a usb type C charging port, but perhaps in another 4 years I'll buy a flagship.

and a refurbished s7 is exactly at my preferred price pointFrom what I can see from amazon, the refurbished galaxy s8 is a small fortune, and the used market is right at my upper limit.

Reasoning being that i run risks of getting a phone that's gimped from the box going the used market.

Here's my suggestion:

Go to Koodo and spend $504 on an iPhone 7 (32GB) and get these guys to unlock it:

You'll get an awesome brand new phone that way. 32GB ain't much memory though. 

EDIT: if you don't mind buying used, check this out:

You might ask, why an iPhone!? Well, the call quality is unbeatable. The speakers are amazing too. And it runs games like a champ, far better than a Zenphone or Galaxy A5. You'll also have an easy time reselling your iPhone when it's time to upgrade. And the price isn't that high if you buy used. You're looking at $410 (CAD) for the 32GB model and $510 (CAD) for the 128GB model. It's right in your budget. 

2 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Here's my suggestion:

Go to Koodo and spend $504 on an iPhone 7 (32GB) and get these guys to unlock it:

You'll get an awesome brand new phone that way. 32GB ain't much memory though. 

EDIT: if you don't mind buying used, check this out:

You might ask, why an iPhone!? Well, the call quality is unbeatable. The speakers are amazing too. And it runs games like a champ, far better than a Zenphone or Galaxy A5. You'll also have an easy time reselling your iPhone when it's time to upgrade. And the price isn't that high if you buy used. You're looking at $410 (CAD) for the 32GB model and $510 (CAD) for the 128GB model. It's right in your budget. 

It appears that you are too late. The OP has already settled on a new phone.