Headphones under 150$

Nielxd
3 hours ago, MV95 said:

What makes you think your boy Zeos knows his stuff? He's a paid promoter more than an actual legitimate reviewer

Several years of studying sound engineering and some time at RADA (Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts) in the UK. Where did you study music and sound engineering? DMS is a know nothing who's reviewing things purely to make money and pulls stuff out of his ass much of the time.

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

now you try and read the comments. Most of the short ones are basically just "I don't agree", quite a few of the longer comments actually agree with him.

Except, again, that no matter how you try to spin it, the vast majority were disagreeing and pointing out how off the review was. 

I don't think that you understand that you need a somewhat trained ear and experience to understand what grain is

Do tell my tutors at RADA and at London University, where I studied Music and Sound engineering that. I'd love to see their responses :). 

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Also he has more credibility than Zeos. He used to work in a studio

LOL! So what? He swept floors in a studio before being a mediocre know nothing on YouTube. Working in a studio doesn't mean that you're any good. If you'd ever worked in a studio, you would have known that.

Plus the OP is in the EU, meaning suddenly SHP9500 cost 125€ or more new 

Except of course when they're on sale, which they are regularly. 

Also who are you to talk about reputation?

Again, someone who actually trained as a sound engineer and at RADA, unlike you, and who contributes to the BBC and the Guardian amongst other outlets. So I recognize bullshit from a know nothing when I hear it. Which is twice now. ;) Do keep trying though. It's amusing at least.

On 3/27/2018 at 5:57 AM, Nielxd said:

Headphones for 150$ w/o amp ?

@Nielxd . Wow, you started a hot thread. Question:Did you decide what headphones you'll pick up?  You live in Romania, eh? I need to remind myself how privileged I am to live in Canada... I might complain about high prices for electronics; however, at least I can get it without being gouged for oversea shipping.

Never a dull moment here on the forums.  O.oO.oO.o

18 hours ago, johnukguy said:

Except, again, that no matter how you try to spin it, the vast majority were disagreeing and pointing out how off the review was. 

Do tell my tutors at RADA and at London University, where I studied Music and Sound engineering that. I'd love to see their responses :). 

LOL! So what? He swept floors in a studio before being a mediocre know nothing on YouTube. Working in a studio doesn't mean that you're any good. If you'd ever worked in a studio, you would have known that.

Except of course when they're on sale, which they are regularly. 

Again, someone who actually trained as a sound engineer and at RADA, unlike you, and who contributes to the BBC and the Guardian amongst other outlets. So I recognize bullshit from a know nothing when I hear it. Which is twice now. ;) Do keep trying though. It's amusing at least.

Look at the like to dislike, most people like the review and it doesn't matter if most people agree or disagree, it doesn't mean that it isn't there. You can just look at the M1060 from monoprice, most people you ask will say they don't ring, because they can't hear it, that doesn't mean that they don't ring, you can see clearly from measurements that they ring and some people can also hear it. The same goes for grain, not everyone can hear it, but that doesn't mean that it isn't there. It would be a faulty logic to say that just because X number of people can't hear it, so therefor it isn't there. Imagine if we used that type of logic about anything else. Most people aren't starving so isn't a thing, same logic just a different area...

He was the producer, but okay. I don't follow or trust anyone blindly. In this thread alone we have a combined 7 articles/videos that at least complain about a weird treble and measurements to back it up.... Furthermore we have 4 people that also say they have grain... So yeah

Just because you went to a school for something, doesn't mean that you are actually good or that you can hear things such as grain. I know plenty of people that got a education in some field, but they are still terrible at it. Also why would a person that studied sound even give two fucks about what Zeos the deaf thinks about a headphone?

Okay so because you work for "news" outlets, then you can recognize BS, then answer me why we have seen so many articals from "news" outlets being made up or just completely wrong. I mean it must be a skill you need to actually work for a "news" outlet, yet so many don't have it.

Often on sale? I think you are confusing the EU with the US. I haven't seen them on sale in a while here in the EU. At least not low enough for them to actually be worth their price.

Also this is about finding the best headphones within a given budget and frankly SHP 9500 aren't among those. If OP were in the US and had a budget of below like 80$ and wanted open back, then we could talk.

How do you know that I didn't train to be a sound engineer? I have been offered a spot on a education that focus on music and sound engineering, because one of the professors wanted me. I have also done the whole phillips golden ear test. I just don't want audio as a real job, because then I think it would take away some of the enjoyment I have with it as a hobby (which it has shown to do when I mix for people) and I would rather take a education where I could make things that could help people, so here I am doing a mechanical engineering degree.

I have recommended the headphones (that I know of) that in OPs budget range offers the best overall audio quality and detail retrieval, there might be some headphones that I don't know of that also offer great audio quality and detail retrieval.

I don't think that we will ever agree on the SHP9500, so I think it is better to just stop now. The OP has two view points now and a lot of different recomendations too

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Look at the like to dislike, most people like the review and it doesn't matter if most people agree or disagree, it doesn't mean that it isn't there. You can just look at the M1060 from monoprice, most people you ask will say they don't ring, because they can't hear it, that doesn't mean that they don't ring, you can see clearly from measurements that they ring and some people can also hear it. The same goes for grain, not everyone can hear it, but that doesn't mean that it isn't there. It would be a faulty logic to say that just because X number of people can't hear it, so therefor it isn't there. Imagine if we used that type of logic about anything else. Most people aren't starving so isn't a thing, same logic just a different area...

He was the producer, but okay. I don't follow or trust anyone blindly. In this thread alone we have a combined 7 articles/videos that at least complain about a weird treble and measurements to back it up.... Furthermore we have 4 people that also say they have grain... So yeah

Just because you went to a school for something, doesn't mean that you are actually good or that you can hear things such as grain. I know plenty of people that got a education in some field, but they are still terrible at it. Also why would a person that studied sound even give two fucks about what Zeos the deaf thinks about a headphone?

Okay so because you work for "news" outlets, then you can recognize BS, then answer me why we have seen so many articals from "news" outlets being made up or just completely wrong. I mean it must be a skill you need to actually work for a "news" outlet, yet so many don't have it.

Often on sale? I think you are confusing the EU with the US. I haven't seen them on sale in a while here in the EU. At least not low enough for them to actually be worth their price.

Also this is about finding the best headphones within a given budget and frankly SHP 9500 aren't among those. If OP were in the US and had a budget of below like 80$ and wanted open back, then we could talk.

How do you know that I didn't train to be a sound engineer? I have been offered a spot on a education that focus on music and sound engineering, because one of the professors wanted me. I have also done the whole phillips golden ear test. I just don't want audio as a real job, because then I think it would take away some of the enjoyment I have with it as a hobby (which it has shown to do when I mix for people) and I would rather take a education where I could make things that could help people, so here I am doing a mechanical engineering degree.

I have recommended the headphones (that I know of) that in OPs budget range offers the best overall audio quality and detail retrieval, there might be some headphones that I don't know of that also offer great audio quality and detail retrieval.

I don't think that we will ever agree on the SHP9500, so I think it is better to just stop now. The OP has two view points now and a lot of different recomendations too

You're wrong, plain and simple. You're one of those "it is impossible for cheap to be good, there must be a flaw" types. Gotta defend those 300 dollar cans somehow.

I think it is called buyer's remorse.

1 hour ago, NinjaQuick said:

You're wrong, plain and simple. You're one of those "it is impossible for cheap to be good, there must be a flaw" types. Gotta defend those 300 dollar cans somehow.

"Gotta defend 300$ cans somehow" I litterly recommended headphones that are cheaper here in the EU and better. Also look at the facts, you can see on the graph that there is some treble fuckery. 7 reviews have talked about grain and something weird about the treble. Furthermore 4 people here have also said it.

Also can you please just learn to argue. "Your wrong" is not a argument when you can't back it up by anything.

Unless you are going to come with some form of argument, then I am just going ignore you. I have already spend enough time on this.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, NinjaQuick said:

I used to be in that camp, but after listening to the most overrated flaming pile of garbage from Superlux and KZ I wholeheartedly agree that being slightly over-budget is totally fine. Especially if that means your content with your headphones and resist the urge to upgrade to something not-terrible and overrated down the road. 

If the HD 559 are anything like the HD558, then I'll happily recommend them. They're $100.  They're just easier on the ears than the Philips SHP9500. People are definetly over-exaggerating the grainy-ness  of the SHP 9500. It ain't no Chinese treble bazooka from KZ or Superlux. But the treble can be a little too sharp on some tracks. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-559-Open-Headphone/dp/B01L1IIEKM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522778924&sr=8-4&keywords=sennheiser+hd558