Consider getting Water Cooling

So, I am considering getting a water cooler, mainly because they look way better than a bulky air cooler, better performance, etc. But I am a bit skeptical because I do not have a ton of money to spend on my computer, and a leakage could be a catastrophe so I need to know, how often do they happen.

6 minutes ago, abccool2020 said:

So, I am considering getting a water cooler, mainly because they look way better than a bulky air cooler, better performance, etc. But I am a bit skeptical because I do not have a ton of money to spend on my computer, and a leakage could be a catastrophe so I need to know, how often do they happen.

I'm assuming an AIO unit, leaks are pretty rare and unlikely to occur suddenly if installed properly. 

-Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling-

If we're talking 240mm rad AIOs, they're not actually better performing than big tower coolers and are typically louder, as well as being more expensive. Basically the only thing they beat air coolers on is looks, which is subjective. For performance, cost, noise, reliability, risk etc. they're either on par or worse than big air coolers. 

Leaks are very uncommon for AIO watercoolers. They go through extensive testing to make sure they don't leak. The most common cause for them to leak is physical damage during transport or installation, rather than an actual product defect. 

It's like one in a million, and sometimes the company will cover some of your PC parts if it does leak.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

leaks are extremely rare. failures aren't so much though. my friend's x62 just died after around 8 months. i don't recommend AIO, small gain for a pretty big extra cost and more risks than benefits.

if going water open loop, because then YOU control all the variables, otherwise good old air coolers

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Yup, leaks are pretty rare for AIO coolers. If you have a limited budget I would suggest getting an aftermarket cpu cooler with single/dual 120mm fans, those should be sufficient. For water cooling, you get more benefit from cooling your GPU versus your CPU, just something you should know too. E.g less noise from fans when gpu is on full load, better cooling for gpu with water cool.

So let's say there is a leakage. Let's say my GPU, MOBO, and PSU, are rendered useless. Would a company like Corsair or NZXT the cooler, along with the parts if it was not user error? And I also needed to ask, would the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO be sufficient for overclocking to near 5GHz

Email each company and ask whats their policy on a aio leaking and caused damage to other parts.