1080 Ti watercooling temps?

So I'm running an Asus Poseidon 1080 Ti and an Intel i7 5820k in the same loop. There's two 420mm radiators and a 280mm radiator also in the loop. CPU temperatures sit in the low-mid 60s overclocked to 4.4GHz at 1.25V, but my GPU temperatures go as high as 70 degrees in some games. Shouldn't the temperature of a GPU with that much radiator space be a little bit lower? The fans are EK Furious Vardar 140. They draw enough power to dim the lights from the LED strips operated by the same controller.

How's the contact with the gpu block? Thermal paste good? How's the liquid temps? Also make sure your fans are configured properly. Like they aren't pulling in hot air.

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Ya, i would assume that your temps would be a bit lower. for comparison Im running 2 FTW 1080 hybrids and they never get over 60C on synthetic load. I also have the same CPU running 4.2 @1.2v in a custom lop with 2x280 rads that i also have never seen over 65C in synthetic tests. What is your pump rated for? 2x420 + 280 and 2 water blocks is a lot of resistance to push against. 

8 minutes ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

for comparison Im running 2 FTW 1080 hybrids and they never get over 60C on synthetic load. 

interesting - I thought I had an issue with my 1080 on water (Palit Gamerock Premium - very similar performance and factory o/c's) as the temps would climb to 58C, I re-did my tube routes, changed the pump and added a front intake fan as everyone said I should be below 45C ...

I'm on 360mm XT40, 240mm UT60 and a 120mm XT30 running a Ryzen 1700 with the gaming 5 monoblock so I have VRM's in there aswell.

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

The contact with the block is good. I took the block off and replaced the stock thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5 already. Not sure about liquid temps but the tubing feels outright hot to the touch. The pump is just an EKWB D5 pump. Not sure what it's rated for to be quite honest.

4 minutes ago, potatojoe93 said:

The contact with the block is good. I took the block off and replaced the stock thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5 already. Not sure about liquid temps but the tubing feels outright hot to the touch. The pump is just an EKWB D5 pump. Not sure what it's rated for to be quite honest.

Sounds like you have a flow restriction of some sort in your loop or your pump isn't pushing fluid enough.  If you have warm tubes, water isn't flowing.  

I have 2 x 1080 Tis in one of my loops with a 7900x and they stay in the high 20's and low 30's under any load.  

31 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Sounds like you have a flow restriction of some sort in your loop or your pump isn't pushing fluid enough.  If you have warm tubes, water isn't flowing.  

I have 2 x 1080 Tis in one of my loops with a 7900x and they stay in the high 20's and low 30's under any load.  

do you live in the arctic circle??

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

do you live in the arctic circle??

Nope.  Virginia in the US.  

Just now, done12many2 said:

Nope.  Virginia in the US.  

ah I see your loop, pretty over the top xD, still those temps seem a little too cool? much more like idle temps, what's your coolant temp at and ambients? 

Ryzen Ram Guide

20 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

ah I see your loop, pretty over the top xD, still those temps seem a little too cool? much more like idle temps, what's your coolant temp at and ambients? 

Coolant temp rarely goes up from ambient on my big loop.  xD

Even under sustained loads my water temps range from 1c to maybe 3c above ambient with the fans spinning at max, but usually it's at or 1c above room temp.  5c or so above ambient if I run them around 800 to 1000 RPMs, which is pretty quiet.  Dropping all the fans down to 400 RPMs, water may see 8 to 10c, maybe.  

Here's a screen shot of the 1080Tis while mining on the x299 / 7900x rig.  They've been mining for weeks now with fans running around 800 RPMs.  The 3rd 1080 Ti you see listed in the EVGA OC software is air cooled.  It's just adding heat to the case a little, but there's plenty of air flow to handle it. 

image.thumb.png.033cfd3555bdd788823761b5bed87139.png

My smaller loop, which consists of a 480mm thick rad + a 360mm medium rad is cooling a 1950x and 2 x 1080s and its temps are usually in the high 30's / low 40's for the 1080s while mining on the GPUs and CPU simultaneously.  It is also NOT located in the "arctic circle".  :D  1080s tend to run quite a bit warmer than 1080 Tis though.  That rig also has 2 more 1080 Tis in it, which are air cooled and adding heat to the case temp.  

image.thumb.png.3e4bfee971463cb00e424cdff39f32e1.png

So... Should I try a better pump or just adding a second pump to my loop?

7 minutes ago, potatojoe93 said:

So... Should I try a better pump or just adding a second pump to my loop?

Unless you have too many blocks in the loop, which I don't suspect you do, you're either dealing with a flow restriction or a pump that isn't working correctly.   Make sure that you are running your pump at max speed (~4800 RPMs) and that you don't have any obvious visible restrictions such as a kinked hose or the like.   If you're pump seems to be functioning correctly, you may need to disassemble your CPU and GPU blocks to ensure that they are not gunked up.  All it takes is a little trash in your water loop to severely impeded flow through the blocks.  The fin area in the blocks are easily clogged.  

I also already cleaned up the CPU block already with a soft bristle toothbrush, but haven't taken the GPU block apart yet.

Just now, potatojoe93 said:

I also already cleaned up the CPU block already with a soft bristle toothbrush, but haven't taken the GPU block apart yet.

What speed is your pump spinning at?

According to the PWM header on my motherboard, about 5000rpms

5 minutes ago, potatojoe93 said:

According to the PWM header on my motherboard, about 5000rpms

I assume you are using the stock plate of the Poseidon card (as opposed to a real fullcover block)

I've always been under the impression that the poseidon block only has a thin U-bend of water over a copper baseplate without any fins and so the performance is not as comparable to a full cover block with a proper micro-channeled fins over the core.

The poseidon card is a jack of all-trades imo for this reason. The power delivery is aircooled, the GPU core is "sort of" aircooled, "sort of" watercooled.

Having said that, 70 degrees does sound indeed high for even the poseidon (marketing material claims 53 degrees ish) and so i suspect maybe something to do with the mount.

chart.png

ASUS_1080Ti_Poseidon_022.jpeg

I have an i7-6850k@ 4.4Ghz and a 1080ti @ 2100Mhz. With 2 480 rads the max I see is 40C on my GPU and 65C on my CPU.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6850K @ 4.4GHz  | Mobo: Asrock Taichi x99 | Ram:  Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000   | SSD: OCZ Agility 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive x 2 | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB x 2 | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ti | Case: Corsair 900D ATX  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2  | Sound Card: Schiit  | Cooling: Custom watercooling (All EK blocks)

Yeah your temperatures do seem a little high. I have the same effective radiator space as you with a 240mm (60mm thick) and a 360mm (40mm thick) radiator and they're cooling a 7700k and 1080ti. The 1080ti tops out at only 45C, also in one one the warmest parts of the world.

I think TTL of OC3D reviewed your card on air and as a water cooled card so I suggest basing your expectations off his review though.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

You're temps are way too high for that card, for it being water-cooled.  Right now I Have my 1080Ti in my media rig (had to delay finishing Project Gray Scale) which has a OC'd 5930k at 4.7 1.285vCore and my Ti is cruising at 2036/5635. The loop has dual D5's, set at 2, and a single EX360 rad from XSPC which the highest temps it sees in games is 40c and even running F@H only peaks at 42c.  I have to go with some of what others have said in that there's a huge restriction in your loop causing these high temps, and I would start with checking your pump's flow rate since there's a possibility it's failing or just needs a second pump to help.  I have moved to dual pumps myself as a redundancy measure.

Project Gray Scale
Intel Core i7 6900k @ 4.2Ghz - Dominator 32GB DDR4 2400 CL10 - Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVMe - 2 Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (Gaming and Sratch) - 2 Barracuda 2TB 
Asus x99 Deluxe - MSI Aero OC GTX 1080Ti - Seasonic 760 XP² - Mod1PC Custom Cables - EKWB CPU & GPU Blocks Nickle/Plexi - EKWB D5 PWM 
EKWB PE360 - Corsair ML120 (6)  - InWin 303- NK65 Entry Watermelon w/ Gat Laseron 70g (205g0 & Filmed) - Logitech G Pro x Superlight
Kanto YU2 - Sennheiser PC360 SE - Acer XF270HU

BUT DOES IT FOLD?! https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=963814

13 hours ago, DarthBaggins said:

You're temps are way too high for that card, for it being water-cooled.  Right now I Have my 1080Ti in my media rig (had to delay finishing Project Gray Scale) which has a OC'd 5930k at 4.7 1.285vCore and my Ti is cruising at 2036/5635. The loop has dual D5's, set at 2, and a single EX360 rad from XSPC which the highest temps it sees in games is 40c and even running F@H only peaks at 42c.  I have to go with some of what others have said in that there's a huge restriction in your loop causing these high temps, and I would start with checking your pump's flow rate since there's a possibility it's failing or just needs a second pump to help.  I have moved to dual pumps myself as a redundancy measure.

It's worth noting that idle temps sit usually in the mid-high 30C range, with the fans on the air cooler at 42%, so at that point the water is doing basically nothing, but without water the temps climb easily to 92C with the fans at 100%... And temps do NOT change if I squeeze the cooler and PCB together.

And let's say I do add a second pump to the loop. I don't have anywhere in my case to put it. I could put it outside the case on top of one of the exhaust fans, but then powering it would be ... Interesting.

2 hours ago, potatojoe93 said:

-snip-

Actually D5 is a beast of a pump. It should not have any problems pushing your loop. I'm running a cheaptastic Magicool pump-res for like 40$ to cool a R5 1600, GTX 1080Ti and 240mm and 360mm slim Magicool rads and using Arctic F12 fans for 5$ a pop. If the fans run like 800-900rpms I get my 1080ti to 45-46c at full tilt (Forza 3 at max, The Division at max). Maybe you could post pics of your loop, so we can see whats up.

People quoting posts with all the pictures should get banned from internet!

R5 1600 3.9GHz | ASUS STRIX B350-F | Corsair LPX  32GB RAM | KFA2 GTX 1080Ti W/C | Corsair Force 480GB NVMe  | Seagate 1TB 2.5" | beQuiet Pure Power 10 700W | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Phanteks Glacier RGB W/C | LG 29UM68 | Steelseries Apex M750 | Steelseries Rival 310 | Steelseries QcK Limited | Steelseries Arctis 5 | Creative X-Fi 5.1 PRO |  W10 64-bit |

9 minutes ago, RicY said:

Actually D5 is a beast of a pump. It should not have any problems pushing your loop. I'm running a cheaptastic Magicool pump-res for like 40$ to cool a R5 1600, GTX 1080Ti and 240mm and 360mm slim Magicool rads and using Arctic F12 fans for 5$ a pop. If the fans run like 800-900rpms I get my 1080ti to 45-46c at full tilt (Forza 3 at max, The Division at max). Maybe you could post pics of your loop, so we can see whats up.

It's pretty rough, appearance-wise. However, there are no kinks anywhere in the tubes.

20180325_034911.jpg

20180325_034923.jpg

13 minutes ago, potatojoe93 said:

-snip-

Everything looks ok here. This is really strange, that so much rad space gives so high temps (for reference you can check J2C video on that poseidon card performance). If you are up for some testing - Try the pump all by itself to see how it is pushing liquid. If it seems a-ok (D5 shoul move A LOT), add in gpu in the loop. If it checks out good too, keep adding components to see if there is any significant flow drop after any of them. Just when testing, keep the bucket somewhere in the level of the pump or even better - as high as highest point in your system, so there is no gravity to help pump.

People quoting posts with all the pictures should get banned from internet!

R5 1600 3.9GHz | ASUS STRIX B350-F | Corsair LPX  32GB RAM | KFA2 GTX 1080Ti W/C | Corsair Force 480GB NVMe  | Seagate 1TB 2.5" | beQuiet Pure Power 10 700W | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Phanteks Glacier RGB W/C | LG 29UM68 | Steelseries Apex M750 | Steelseries Rival 310 | Steelseries QcK Limited | Steelseries Arctis 5 | Creative X-Fi 5.1 PRO |  W10 64-bit |

I've assembled/disassembled/modified this loop a few times and the temperatures have never really changed. Originally it was just a 280mm rad for the CPU alone, then added the GPU and a 420mm radiator, and I've noticed that the last radiator takes significantly longer to fill than the first, in spite of requiring a much smaller volume of water. I once had a second Poseidon 1080 Ti in the loop, but the cooler was defective (92C on water with all fans at 100%) so I had to send it back, and haven't found it back in stock since. Even then, the temps on the original Poseidon didn't change, and the GPUs were in parallel.

On 3/25/2018 at 7:14 AM, potatojoe93 said:

but without water the temps climb easily to 92C with the fans at 100%... And temps do NOT change if I squeeze the cooler and PCB together.

So are you saying that your card is basically cooking itself unless it has water running through it? Sounds like perhaps in the process of changing the stock thermal paste you might have missed something.

The poseidon should be a relatively a good performer on air alone and doesn't actually require water for normal operation.