I think I just shorted my GPU. Any suggestions?

brighttail

So I did a very stupid thing.  I was using a tape measure to make a measurement inside my computer, while it was on and the tape measure slipped and the metal head touched my GPU under the acrylic and actually on the board. I think it actually touched c109 and c110 on the Founders card and probably bridged it for a brief second.  Either way, the computer instantly shut down.  I did the following:

1. Tried to restart machine but it just flicks on and then off immediately.

2. Disable PCI-e slot 1 from motherboard.  Result = same as #1

3. Unplugged the GPUs power cables, both.  Result = Computer boots

4. Tried a different PCI-e Slot with this card.  Result = Computer won't turn on same as #1.

5. Tried a different GPU in the Slot 1.  All works fine.

So It looks like something shorted on this 1080TI Founders Edition card with an EK waterblock.    I took it all apart and looked for any arcing or anything that might show a short or anything.  After about 10 minutes with a magnifying glass I can't find anything. I wiped it down with alcohol, clearing any grime and dust away, put more compound on it, put it all together and tried it again.  The computer instantly turns off and won't let the computer start.  In fact I can't even hit the start button twice, the computer won't allow it. I have to power off the PSU.

So how screwed am I?  Any suggestions on what I can look for?  Any possible fixes? Anyway I can see where the problem may be?  Kinda stuck here.  Help?

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

it might have blown a cap or something, i think the best you can do is try to rma it, 

14 minutes ago, ArtemisFolly said:

..But maybe don't mention the tape measure thing.

what tape measure thing ;)

Yeah an RMA may not go over well.  It was a Founder's edition from MSI that had a little sticker saying "void if removed" and of course it had to be removed to put the water block on... soooooo...

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Is there anyway or anything I should look for to see what might be the issue?

1 hour ago, brighttail said:

Yeah an RMA may not go over well.  It was a Founder's edition from MSI that had a little sticker saying "void if removed" and of course it had to be removed to put the water block on... soooooo...

those void if removed stickers are illegal though, because you have the right to repair, (changing thermal paste for example)

21 minutes ago, Technous285 said:

Aaaand this is why I will go with EVGA when it comes to my video cards, especially if I intended to watercool them - EVGA will honour the warranty if you've watercooled a card as long as you send it with the stock aircooling method the card came with when sending the borked card off to them.

Well I put it back together like it was and found a sticker on another GPU and stuck it on this one. We'll see if they take it. Should tho.. changing thermal paste is a right.  Thanks all.