How to make ssd HDD different

JTGAMES

I'm new at PC building and I need to make windows and games be on my ssd and files and every thing else go on my hard drive how do I do that .if Linus can make a video on this for windows 10 I'd be glad

Well your question is so broad there no straight answer.

we have no idea how it is that you've set your machine up. Elaborate on your system/file situation.

My ssd Is set up so that it holds my operating system 

1) install windows on the SSD like this https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

2) plug in HDD

3) change your windows settings and change C to D http://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/how-change-your-default-save-locations-windows-10

4) when you install your games, select your SSD as the location

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Still if any one has anything to add go a head

1 hour ago, emosun said:

Well your question is so broad there no straight answer.

we have no idea how it is that you've set your machine up. Elaborate on your system/file situation.

actually its a very easy answer. just plug in ONLY the SSD and install what you want. and then shut off pc and plug in the HDD and then from there on you can just install everything to the HDD when asked where you want to install/download stuff. if it doesn't ask them it probably needs to be on the same drive as the OS,

What I need is to put files documents videos music and that stuff on HDD and windows on ssd and games on ssd

I just need a simple answer YouTube is making it to difficult I just need  a short and sweat answer 

1 hour ago, JTGAMES said:

What I need is to put files documents videos music and that stuff on HDD and windows on ssd and games on ssd

I know exactly what you want. I have the same setup for my documents and download folders. I'd like to prevent a lot of read/write actions to my SSD. My download folder can sometimes reach 500gb, so it wouldn't really work on my 240gb SSD. Here's how you do that. 

- Make a folder on your HDD root directory. I have mine called Data drive folder. In this folder create a folder for documents, downloads, pictures and whatever else you want. 

- In Windows explorer, you can see the shortcuts on the left. Right-click any of them and click properties

TF1RP1v.png

- In the properties section, click location and hit move.

- Locate the folder on your hard drive and click select folder.

If it asks you if you want to copy the files in the current folder over to the new folder just click yes.

Repeat this step for every folder you want to move. 

Now you've changed your default location for your downloads and/or documents folder and Windows will automatically put it in your chosen location.

No need to thank me. Thank Luke for putting it in an LTT video. 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

Thank you this is gonoa be the best option for me short and sweat lets eat

You can set the default install location to your HDDby modifying the Windows registry, but that'snot advised on Windows 10.

Windows 10 introduced proper hard links. A hard link is a directory entry that associates a name with a file on a file system. All directory-based file systems must have at least one hard link giving the original name for each file. The term “hard link” is usually only used in file systems that allow more than one hard link for the same file.

I used to have a Chromebook i hacked Windows 10 onto, but it only had 16gb of space. I slapped in an SD card and created hard links from Program Files and Program Files (x86) to the SD card - so Windows thinks they are still on C: but they are really actually on D:.

Hard links eliminates the complicated registry management and headache of moving things around if you install something to the wrong drive.

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.8GHz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | 32GB 2133MHz CL7 DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 with Custom BIOS | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | 3TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | Corsair CX750M  | Custom 240mm all-in-one liquid cooler | Broadcom NetXTREME 5709c Dual Gigabit NIC | Cougar MX330 mid-tower chassis | Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter