18650 6000 mAh Button Top Batteries to a good home

Jtalk4456

I started a battery bank DIY project without realizing there were Button tops and flat top 18650 batteries. I ordered button top but the case I use only takes flat top. I have 9 Garberiel 6000 mAh batteries completely unused and one that a friend cut the wrapping off to see if the button was removable (some apparently are, but these were not) otherwise still unused. I am not sure if they can even be mailed (I'm almost positive the one without wrapping cannot), but if someone wants to give me 8 bucks, I'll send at least the 9 of them within the US. I paid 15 for reference

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

@CUDA_Cores is this something you’d be interested in?

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

12 minutes ago, Ross Scarlet said:

Eh nothing an angle grinder won't fix.

i want DIY, not Full Janky, plus I want no risk of messing things up and these catching fire in my pocket

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Just now, Jtalk4456 said:

i want DIY, not Full Janky, plus I want no risk of messing things up and these catching fire in my pocket

Understandable, leave the janky and catching on fire for my projects :P 

They're not anywhere close to 6,000mAh, you got scammed. I'd laugh if they're even 2,000mAh.

Also, if you're selling something, please do it through the forum classifieds.

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/89-classifieds/

48 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

They're not anywhere close to 6,000mAh, you got scammed. I'd laugh if they're even 2,000mAh.

Also, if you're selling something, please do it through the forum classifieds.

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/89-classifieds/

Why are you assuming I got scammed? That's the price all over the internet for these kinds of batteries.

Either way I can move the post

11 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Sorry to break it to you buddy, those are fake cells. 

That label is about as real as if you stuck a label on me that said "hot Asian chick". It's just a meaningless label. 

There are only a few manufacturers of 18650 cells that produce batteries of a genuine capacity. Those brands are From Sony, Sanyo, Samsung, Panasonic, LG, and BAK. There are a few other chinese manufacturers who make good cells as well but in general, those are the only cell brands with a genuine capacity. As a general rule of thumb, a battery brand from ANYONE else is fake.

Battery manufacturing requires many millions of dollars just to set up a factory and get right, so there are only a few companies that are capable of producing good cells. Everyone else is either making very bad cells (like the one in the video below) and slapping whatever number they feel on it, or just rewrapping B and C grade 18650 cells that were factory rejects by these few brands above and again, slapping whatever number they feel on it. 

The highest capacity 18650 cell in existence today is the Panasonic NCR18650G, and it goes for almost $10 for a single cell. 

The highest continuous discharge cell out today is the LG HB6 18650 cell with a maximum continuous discharge rating of 30  Amps. 

Anything over those numbers you can already rule out is a total bullshit rating. 

Good video if a guy capacity testing these cells:

Those cells you got are garbage. They work great if all you want to do is run a flashlight, but for anything else (ebike, vaping, powerwall) you have to look for genuine cells. 

OK but I have tested that they work, so...yeah. And that brand is supported by amazon prime, plus the prices you are quoting are for flat tops, I have button tops which are considerably cheaper in any brand. So I still don't have any reason to believe they are fake, especially since I've tested them already and know otherwise.

3 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

OK but I have tested that they work, so...yeah. And that brand is supported by amazon prime, plus the prices you are quoting are for flat tops, I have button tops which are considerably cheaper in any brand. So I still don't have any reason to believe they are fake, especially since I've tested them already and know otherwise.

Just because they "work" doesn't mean they're 6,000mAh.

Last I checked, the highest capacity anyone's managed in an 18650 form factor was around 3,500mAh, and its very expensive.

If you still don't believe me, I'll buy them all for 10 bucks and do a capacity test on my 18650 tester.

2 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Last I checked, the highest capacity anyone's managed in an 18650 form factor was around 3,500mAh, and its very expensive.

If you still don't believe me, I'll buy them all for 10 bucks and do a capacity test on my 18650 tester.

Agreed. No such thing as 6000mah 18650s

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

14 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

It's sad really. I've had defective panasonic 18650's that had developed copper shunts, pulled from a broken laptop battery, and they had more capacity left then some of these cheap Chinese cells have to offer brand new. 

14 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

You make an interesting point, so ignore the purchase, as I said in the beginning I ordered some flat tops when i realized the buttons didn't fit, but they weren't one of the brands you mentioned. So I've got 5 in the charger showing 100%, supposedly 2500 mAh each for a total of 12500 mAh. I have a galaxy s8 (3000 mAh) that I will plug into it. I am going to wait for the bank to drop to 95% and check how much percentage my phone battery increased and use that number to extrapolate the rough mAh capacity of these off brand 18650's

52 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

You make an interesting point, so ignore the purchase, as I said in the beginning I ordered some flat tops when i realized the buttons didn't fit, but they weren't one of the brands you mentioned. So I've got 5 in the charger showing 100%, supposedly 2500 mAh each for a total of 12500 mAh. I have a galaxy s8 (3000 mAh) that I will plug into it. I am going to wait for the bank to drop to 95% and check how much percentage my phone battery increased and use that number to extrapolate the rough mAh capacity of these off brand 18650's

You're going to encounter inefficiencies with both the powerbank's internal step up converter, and the phone's step down converter that charges the battery.

Your best bet is to get one of those inexpensive USB charge doctor things, and measure the capacity in mAh from empty to full. Or better yet, an 18650 capacity tester that does a discharge test.

20 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

You're going to encounter inefficiencies with both the powerbank's internal step up converter, and the phone's step down converter that charges the battery.

Your best bet is to get one of those inexpensive USB charge doctor things, and measure the capacity in mAh from empty to full. Or better yet, an 18650 capacity tester that does a discharge test.

That's fair enough, I was going to count that in and assume some loss there. as an update, the flat tops I got are NOT off brand, i forgot I got samsungs. Doing the calculation I mentioned above I extrapolated a rough 9000 mAh capacity 

Phone gained 3% for every 1% loss on bank

3% of 3000 is 90

if 90=1% then 100%=9000

given the inefficiencies listed above along with powering the phone while charging it (no apps being used though and wifi/data off) and the cord being used is 3' and has lights on it, I'd say the 9000 mAh is about right.

As for the actual off brands, I didn't realize until now how cheap those 18650 capacity testers were, but I'm a month to month budget kind of guy so I might wait before I justify testing them instead of just accepting the possiblity that the ones I got are a lower capacity than advertised but at $1 a battery were still cheaper for me than buying a battery bank from a store and trying to find a compatible case for the button tops