Anyone use Proton Mail?

Go to solution Solved by NoobCase,
9 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

I've been looking into getting Proton Mail as a gmail alternative.  It seems like a solid alternative with options to pay for better features.  I would probably get a free account and use it strictly for private communication and business like banking and job offers/recruiting.  I was wondering if anyone has used it and what they think of the service.

https://protonmail.com/about

It also has a android and IOs app I believe.

Been using it for years. Its pretty solid, with enough features on the free account. Both iOS and Android apps works fine. Been a year since I used the Android one, but back then it was stable and very fre issues.

I've been looking into getting Proton Mail as a gmail alternative.  It seems like a solid alternative with options to pay for better features.  I would probably get a free account and use it strictly for private communication and business like banking and job offers/recruiting.  I was wondering if anyone has used it and what they think of the service.

Why is this better than Gmail? Or why would you want an alternative?

9 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

Been using it for years. Its pretty solid, with enough features on the free account. Both iOS and Android apps works fine. Been a year since I used the Android one, but back then it was stable and very fre issues.

9 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Why is this better than Gmail? Or why would you want an alternative?

Better privacy, they don't have the means to read what you're sending or receiving at all. 

If you're using their App the only annoying this is that regularly log you out for your protection. As a result it's not what I regularly use, and only use for more sensitive things.

12 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

They dont collect any data

3 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Better privacy, they don't have the means to read what you're sending or receiving at all. 

Thank you, so only privacy benefits, which unfortunately don't bother me as much as it should.

I've been using it for about 3 years and have had only one problem with Protonmail. When using a VPN it can cause their servers to become a bit glitchy, how much of this is down to slow VPN speeds I don't know. I get a message saying "the servers are unreachable, try again later" it works fine apart from that problem and, like I said, this could be a VPN problem. I'm using the built in VPN that comes with Opera web browser.

I like it though and will continue to use it, it's a load better than unseen.is, which I was using before, and protonmail does value it's customers privacy....

Thanks for the input guys im going to give the free version a try.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to make an update on my user experience so far.  I'm really liking it very seemless even the free tier at 500MB seems to be plenty enough for me.  I did upgrade to the mid tier for $45 a year for the custom domains and 5GB of storage.  I'm particularly impressed with the ease of use of the mobile app.  I literally don't notice a difference and switching from gmail has been seamless.  I still have many more accounts to move over but all the important and essentials are over.  I plan to be fully migrated to ProtonMail within the month and only have my gmail for youtube and the play store nothing else.  Highly recommended.