Ryzen build: only 1 ram dim detecting

Hello all,

New build here (list below) and everything works great except one of my ram dims isn't detected by my bois or windows. is this a problem with ryzen or is it likely just a DOA ram dim?

Any help would be appreciated.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qdhQ7W

Which slots have you put your ram sticks in?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, Rasbir Singh said:

Which slots have you put your ram sticks in?

I believe 1 and 3. when i put them in 2 and 4 they did not post. 

in short

do they both work in the same slot?
are they set up in correct pairs?

if yes to both then either bad cpu or board

2 hours ago, faziten said:

did you follow the manual suggested order of insertion?.

Yes

7 hours ago, SilentShadows said:

Yes

if you still have them try opening CPUZ and check how much ram it reports.

I had an issue with a 4xkit, that was not detected at all in windows but CPUz picked up 3 modules out of 4. Resited and all gucci.

On 3/18/2018 at 7:49 PM, star_weaver said:

in short

do they both work in the same slot?
are they set up in correct pairs?

if yes to both then either bad cpu or board

Agreed. Try them one at a time in a slot you know works. Your scenarios are:

1- they both work in that slot, but not in others: this would be a CPU issue or bad Mobo slot or broken mobo tracing. 

2- one of them doesn’t work regardless: that would be an RMA candidate as the ram is dead 

if your bios doesn’t see them, CPU-ID won’t. 

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

15 hours ago, RyzenDoctor said:

Agreed. Try them one at a time in a slot you know works. Your scenarios are:

1- they both work in that slot, but not in others: this would be a CPU issue or bad Mobo slot or broken mobo tracing. 

2- one of them doesn’t work regardless: that would be an RMA candidate as the ram is dead 

if your bios doesn’t see them, CPU-ID won’t. 

I literally switched them and then switched them back and it won't post again - HELP

3 minutes ago, SilentShadows said:

I literally switched them and then switched them back and it won't post again - HELP

Clear your CMOS. There is a battery on your Mobo. Pull that out for 5-10 min. Put it in with the module that works. If it doesn’t work, you may have a bad Mobo/cpu

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

7 minutes ago, SilentShadows said:

Did not work

Something was dieing and is now dead I guess. Probably the Mobo. 

Check that hat all connections are on, power, fans

Something was dieing and is now dead I guess. Probably the Mobo. 

Check that hat all connections are on, power, fans

I actually checked the seating and the one stick of ram that was working before is working now! Based on this information do you think the second stick of ram is just dead and the mb is fine?

2 hours ago, SilentShadows said:

I actually checked the seating and the one stick of ram that was working before is working now! Based on this information do you think the second stick of ram is just dead and the mb is fine?

Well, if that stick didn’t work... then it’s dead

11 minutes ago, RyzenDoctor said:

Well, if that stick didn’t work... then it’s dead

Do you think the mb slots are dead or the ram stick? I'm planning on going to a repair place tomorrow and seeing if we can test it with different memory.

Well if that stick didn’t work in a working slot... it doesn’t work. Didnt you put it into the same slot your good ram is in?

3 hours ago, RyzenDoctor said:

Well if that stick didn’t work in a working slot... it doesn’t work. Didnt you put it into the same slot your good ram is in?

Yes, but the good stick wasn't working in the other slots...

2 hours ago, SilentShadows said:

Yes, but the good stick wasn't working in the other slots...

Erm, wouldn't that suggest the motherboard has a faulty memory slot? If not done already try the RAM one at a time in the working slot and not together. I know it was suggested before but based on what I read it seems you simply swapped them round, if not my bad.

Wraith/Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | DeepCool AK620 | ASRock X570 Steel Legend | Micron Workstation ECC 64GB | XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB | Topping D50s+A50s+PA3s | Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 2TB, HPE SSD 1.92TB, Toshiba X300 4TB, Seagate SkyHawk 4TB, WD Blue 4TB, HPE HDD 8TB | LG GGW-H20L Bluray-RW, Pioneer DVR-220LBK DVD-RW | HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Super Flower Leadex II Gold 750W | CoolerMaster MasterCase MC500P - Ghost/Test Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | Asus ROG Strix X370-F | Crucial Ballistix Red 16GB | ASRock Intel ARC A770 Phantom Gaming D 8GB | Asus Xonar D2X | Crucial MX500 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 500GB | SAMA Forza 750W Gold | Antec GX200

Phantom/Win98 Rig: AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ | Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3 | ASRock K7S41GX | Elixir 512MB | ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB with ATI Silencer 3 Rev.2 | Aureal BA88DL30A-01 Vortex 2 | Seagate Barracuda 160GB | LiteOn IHDP118-18 DVD-Rom | Samsung FDD | Ccivo 300W | CiT S008B - Parvati IV/Home Unraid Rig: Dual AMD Opteron 4184 | 2x Noctua NH-U12DO A3 | Supermicro Aplus H8DCL-i | Samsung ECC 32GB | Matrox G200eW 16MB | Kioxia Exceria G2 1TB, HPE Seagate Exos 4TB, 2x Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB, 2x Toshiba E300 2TB, Seagate SkyHawk 2TB, 2x Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB, Seagate Essentials 1TB, WD Green 500GB | Dell Perc H200+H310 HBA, HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Cooler Master MWE v2 850W | Corsair Obsidian 750d Full Tower - Behemoth12/Second Unraid Rig: HP Microserver G8 | Xeon E3-1220L V2 | Intel C204 | Hynix ECC 16GB | Matrox G200eH 16MB | WD Green 500GB NVMe |

On 3/18/2018 at 4:43 PM, SilentShadows said:

Hello all,

New build here (list below) and everything works great except one of my ram dims isn't detected by my bois or windows. is this a problem with ryzen or is it likely just a DOA ram dim?

Any help would be appreciated.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qdhQ7W

As someone else suggested before, try plugging one stick at a time in the confirmed working slot.  Test and confirm if it works.  Then swap the other in place of it.  If both work, potentially a bad board.  If one stick is bad, I'd suggest reaching out to our Technical Support staff for a replacement kit, and we'll get you up and running.

https://support.corsair.com/

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

So I have done as suggested previously and put them both in all 4 slots separately and it only works w/ that one dimm in that one slot.

Sounds like one of the sticks has an issue.  Reach out to our Technical Support staff, and they will be able to help you out with a replacement.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

Hey,

I had similar problems in the past.

Before debugging the world, try to loose the heatsink screws. The bending caused by a too tight heatsink may cause the loss of some memory slots.

Cheers