Bought open box cpu, How should I stress test it to make sure that theres nothing wrong?

Hey guys

So Microcenter had an 8600k for 175 and i thought it was a steal for an open box. I got it for my gf's build and so im testing it in my z370 board. 

What are some free programs I could use to really test it? maybe cinebench? 

So far for now I decided to see how it acted on an OC. I have it at 5.00 GHz at 1.35v. Idle it sits at around 35-40C with a Noctua U14s cooling it. So far no craziness from what i can tell. 

Cinebench and Aida64 are normally what people use. I've also seen Prime95 recommended, but I've not used it personally.

Also, that is a real steal for an 8600K, even being an open box.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Cinebench and Aida64 are normally what people use. I've also seen Prime95 recommended, but I've not used it personally.

Also, that is a real steal for an 8600K, even being an open box.

I know i was genuinely surprised at the price. They sell cheaper than market I know that. $220 for a new while others are at 240. openbox strix z370 itx as well for $143. $30 mobo discount down to $113. $288 + tax for 8600k + itx board. love that store. 

I'll DL and run Cinebench then! 

Just now, LaboonTheWhale said:

I know i was genuinely surprised at the price. They sell cheaper than market I know that. $220 for a new while others are at 240. openbox strix z370 itx as well for $143. $30 mobo discount down to $113. $288 + tax for 8600k + itx board. love that store. 

Daaaaang. Honestly, if I'm buying any kind of electronic at all, I try to go to Micro Center. Just the best in the business, except maybe for Fry's, but the CPU/motherboard combo deals at Micro Center cannot be beat.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Daaaaang. Honestly, if I'm buying any kind of electronic at all, I try to go to Micro Center. Just the best in the business, except maybe for Fry's, but the CPU/motherboard combo deals at Micro Center cannot be beat.

Was wondering ... how would you compare MicroCenter to Fry's for laptops - like in-store selection/display, after sales support, etc?  And for buying other things as well? (not talking about prices, but more like in-store selection, support, etc.)

Spoiler

My parents are planning to buy 2 non-gaming laptops for each of them asap (one around $1500, the other up to $2000 - they want them to last a long time, among other things) and prefer buying at a brick-and-mortar store so they can feel the keyboards ,see the screens, etc. in person.  (My mom especially wants a good keyboard - she wants prominent locator nubs on the F and J keys, and wants to feel the spaces between the keys.)  There's lots of other things they're looking for too in a laptop, but I'm not getting into it in this post/thread; I already have one posted in the laptops forum although it's gotten a bit buried due to no activity in a few days or so.

We have Fry's about 15-20 minutes away or so, but would it be worth the 90-100+ minute drive to go to MC?  (I'd hoped to go yesterday when we went to L.A. area for some other things, but it ended up being past midnight as we were driving through Tustin on the way home.)

Is MicroCenter worth an hour and 45 minute drive or so (or 2 hours since my dad almost never goes above 65 on the highway) when we have a Fry's about 20 minutes away?

Also I've sometimes used Prime95 to test my own CPUs, although if you use any version newer than 26.6, it will REALLY heat up the CPU.  For example, my desktop's i7-4790K runs at about 100°C (and sometimes underclocks itself to as low as 3.7-3.8 GHz or so) on a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo at stock settings in Prime95 28.7 (or whatever version) small FFT.  (Although I haven't tested much since I switched my case for a Fractal Design Define R5.)

1 hour ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Also I've sometimes used Prime95 to test my own CPUs, although if you use any version newer than 26.6, it will REALLY heat up the CPU.  For example, my desktop's i7-4790K runs at about 100°C (and sometimes underclocks itself to as low as 3.7-3.8 GHz or so) on a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo at stock settings in Prime95 28.7 (or whatever version) small FFT.  (Although I haven't tested much since I switched my case for a Fractal Design Define R5.)

I was told numerous times when I had my 4790k that you werent supposed to use prime 95 with Devi's canyon. to use intel's extreme test instead. 

38 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

I was told numerous times when I had my 4790k that you werent supposed to use prime 95 with Devi's canyon. to use intel's extreme test instead. 

It is safe...Just intense.  Be aware that it will trigger AVX and set the offset accordingly.  I personally run it for 12hrs to verify overclock stability on my daily driver.  12hrs with 8 cores/16 threads all pinned at 4.8Ghz...chip is no worse for the wear.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

4 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

It is safe...Just intense.  Be aware that it will trigger AVX and set the offset accordingly.  I personally run it for 12hrs to verify overclock stability on my daily driver.  12hrs with 8 cores/16 threads all pinned at 4.8Ghz...chip is no worse for the wear.

It seems pointlessly intensive to me. I've had otherwise stable overclocks fail under Prime 95. I'd rather everything but Prime 95 run perfectly and have the best performance than lower my overclock for a torture test. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

13 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

It seems pointlessly intensive to me. I've had otherwise stable overclocks fail under Prime 95. I'd rather everything but Prime 95 run perfectly and have the best performance than lower my overclock for a torture test. 

8 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I have never had to lower an overclock to get it to pass p95, but I have had to make other changes.  Voltage, Ram timing, AVX offset, etc.  I honestly test my 24/7 overclocks with everything I can find.  I like unwavering stability for my daily use.  I have other overclock profiles I use for benchmarking that would not begin to pass p95.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

I think Realbench is one of the better options. You can also enable or disable AVX easily.

Most other stability tests just hammers your PC as hard as it can to get temps as high as possible which is not at al a representation of real word usage. More of a pissing contest between them than actual tress testing :P

https://rog.asus.com/tag/realbench/ 

Intel Burn Test works.

It is semi-automated and you can set a test length and it supports error reporting.