Galaxy s8 front glass repair

Emillionaire

As you can see on the provided picture below, i've cracked the front glass of my Samsung Galaxy s8. 

5aad6dc83efbb_28942347_10215596619169974_1830061796_o(1).thumb.jpg.5f15a5eeb4d0666c3506ee2d37e306db.jpg

It was a christmas present, so no insurence. 
Luckily the LCD did not take any damage at all - and is fully functional. 

I've written to multiple repair shops, but they all only do screen swaps - which i do not have the money for. (65% of the phone price, no thank you.) 
- i've seen multiple threads and youtube videos about the process of switching the front glass, and can see that its a demanding task which requires the right tool as well as time. 

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with replacing the front glass from the LCD? There's tons of affordable kits on amazon/ebay including all the required tools. 

Please do not engage in the thread if you do not know what you're talking about.  Thanks you. 

Yes, the username is cringe. 

9 minutes ago, L0gic said:

As you can see on the provided picture below, i've cracked the front glass of my Samsung Galaxy s8. 

Reveal hidden contents

5aad6dc83efbb_28942347_10215596619169974_1830061796_o(1).thumb.jpg.5f15a5eeb4d0666c3506ee2d37e306db.jpg

It was a christmas present, so no insurence. 
Luckily the LCD did not take any damage at all - and is fully functional. 

I've written to multiple repair shops, but they all only do screen swaps - which i do not have the money for. (65% of the phone price, no thank you.) 
- i've seen multiple threads and youtube videos about the process of switching the front glass, and can see that its a demanding task which requires the right tool as well as time. 

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with replacing the front glass from the LCD? There's tons of affordable kits on amazon/ebay including all the required tools. 

Please do not engage in the thread if you do not know what you're talking about.  Thanks you. 

I have done a few replacements, I just followed Youtube.

Look up ifixit tutorials for the S8 if there are any. Or look it up on YouTube. There are quite a few repairs for many devices that can be done and save you time and money.

I once had to swap out the charging port on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It took me two minutes after getting the part to do it. Just look up your tutorial and what you'll need for it.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

It's extremely difficult to get the glass alone off, mostly due to the curved edges and strong adhesive.

Honestly, I wouldn't try it unless you know you have the money for a complete screen replacement if you mess it up. There's a couple of guides out there for it, but honestly, I'd go into it on the assumption you're going to break the display and have to replace the whole assembly. 

The damage seems fairly minor, so I'd personally advise to leave it so you don't risk breaking the display entirely, or replace the whole AMOLED assembly. 

Sure you can replace just the glass on the S8, but you are going to destroy the display since as soon as you separate the laminated display from those OLED sub pixels you are going to destroy them.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I have done a few replacements, I just followed Youtube.

Front glass only, or just replacing the screen? 

2 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

Look up ifixit tutorials for the S8 if there are any. Or look it up on YouTube. There are quite a few repairs for many devices that can be done and save you time and money.

I once had to swap out the charging port on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It took me two minutes after getting the part to do it. Just look up your tutorial and what you'll need for it.

Sadly, ifixit only show the screen swap - not the front glass swap. Found great ones on youtube, but this is quite the advanced process. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It's extremely difficult to get the glass alone off, mostly due to the curved edges and strong adhesive.

Honestly, I wouldn't try it unless you know you have the money for a complete screen replacement if you mess it up. There's a couple of guides out there for it, but honestly, I'd go into it on the assumption you're going to break the display and have to replace the whole assembly. 

The damage seems fairly minor, so I'd personally advise to leave it so you don't risk breaking the display entirely, or replace the whole AMOLED assembly. 

Yea, i agree. But no reason not to try it if replacing the screen anyway. ;)

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Sure you can replace just the glass on the S8, but you are going to destroy the display since as soon as you separate the laminated display from those OLED sub pixels you are going to destroy them.  

Do you have any experience with the process?

I've seen multiple people doing it online, haven't encountered that issue. 

3 minutes ago, L0gic said:

Sadly, ifixit only show the screen swap - not the front glass swap. Found great ones on youtube, but this is quite the advanced process. 

Sorry about that. I thought I read the topic correctly, clearly I didn't. As far as I know, a heat gun is required, as well as patience, both of which I don't have lol.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Just now, L0gic said:

Do you have any experience with the process?

I've seen multiple people doing it online, haven't encountered that issue. 

No, but I have seen many people destroy the display entirely. 

Its not worth it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Your welcome

Hey I am bored, figured I'd help you out bruh!

Gotta hit the streets and cause havoc now.

Chow!