Looking for Desktop software for reading QR Codes.

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
13 hours ago, kb5zue said:

I thought you were looking for software to scan QR codes?  The CLZ Barry program will do that using the camera on your phone.  "Scan QR codes" is what you said so I'm confused, if that is not what your are looking for, then what exactly are you looking for?

Kinda find it odd that you haven't come across QR codes before. They are square-style barcodes. Unlike regular barcodes which usually have just string of numbers and letters (ISBN etc.), QR codes can have URLs or more advanced things.

@PlayBoyMan, found software called ZBar, which seems to be able to read QR codes. For my uses it isn't suitable, I've been looking for actual software for barcodes to make some banking stuff bit easier.

Before I begin, the main reason I'm asking is so I can scan QR codes so I can use the Authy Desktop Authenticator. I am well aware of the risks of doing this, and I'm willing to take my chances.

So, can anyone recommend Desktop software that isn't tacky or cheesy or might install viruses?

Does such software exist? I'm on Windows 10 Pro and I have a Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 Camera.

Not exactly sure what a QR code is but I use some software called CLZ Barry by a place called www.collectorz.com.  I use their other software called CLZ Movies to keep track of my DVD movie collection.  I keep the main inventory on my PC while I keep a portable copy of it on my iPhone.  Both of those pieces of software run on my iPhone.  That way when I go browse the movie collection at Target or Walmart, I don't have to worry about buying a copy of something I already have.  The CLZ Barry thing works great by just scanning the UPC code on the DVD package.  Something in the corner of my mind tells me it will scan your QR codes too.  It uses the camera function on the phone and it's quick too.  The software on the phone has a good interface function so it talks via BlueTooth to the pc.  Recommend this software for anyone needing a scanner of some sort.

I just did some looking, here are the code types that Barry supports or will scan.

1D Point of sale: UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-8, EAN-13, GS1 DataBar (a.k.a. RSS)
1D Industrial Symbols: Code 39, Code 93, Code 128, GS1-128, Codabar, ITF-14
2D Symbols: QR Code, Data Matrix, Aztec, PDF 417

57 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Not exactly sure what a QR code is but I use some software called CLZ Barry by a place called www.collectorz.com.  I use their other software called CLZ Movies to keep track of my DVD movie collection.  I keep the main inventory on my PC while I keep a portable copy of it on my iPhone.  Both of those pieces of software run on my iPhone.  That way when I go browse the movie collection at Target or Walmart, I don't have to worry about buying a copy of something I already have.  The CLZ Barry thing works great by just scanning the UPC code on the DVD package.  Something in the corner of my mind tells me it will scan your QR codes too.  It uses the camera function on the phone and it's quick too.  The software on the phone has a good interface function so it talks via BlueTooth to the pc.  Recommend this software for anyone needing a scanner of some sort.

I just did some looking, here are the code types that Barry supports or will scan.

1D Point of sale: UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-8, EAN-13, GS1 DataBar (a.k.a. RSS)
1D Industrial Symbols: Code 39, Code 93, Code 128, GS1-128, Codabar, ITF-14
2D Symbols: QR Code, Data Matrix, Aztec, PDF 417

Thanks, That's not really what I'm looking for. 

13 hours ago, PlayBoyMan said:

Thanks, That's not really what I'm looking for. 

I thought you were looking for software to scan QR codes?  The CLZ Barry program will do that using the camera on your phone.  "Scan QR codes" is what you said so I'm confused, if that is not what your are looking for, then what exactly are you looking for?

20 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

I'm looking for a desktop app. What you recommended is for mobile devices. I'm looking for something for a PC.

6 hours ago, PlayBoyMan said:

I'm looking for a desktop app. What you recommended is for mobile devices. I'm looking for something for a PC.

A desktop app will not scan.  You are still going to need a camera source of some kind.  The camera on my iPhone 8s works great.  I guess you could use a video camera connected to your pc then.  I don't have a pc camera.

13 hours ago, kb5zue said:

Kinda find it odd that you haven't come across QR codes before. They are square-style barcodes. Unlike regular barcodes which usually have just string of numbers and letters (ISBN etc.), QR codes can have URLs or more advanced things.

@PlayBoyMan, found software called ZBar, which seems to be able to read QR codes. For my uses it isn't suitable, I've been looking for actual software for barcodes to make some banking stuff bit easier.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv