Case for First Mini-ITX Build Requested!

So I'm finally going to bite the bullet and build an ITX computer this year. Here's what I'm looking for in terms of a case:

(1) Under $100 Canadian (at current exchange rate, that's about 77 USD).

(2) Relatively simple to build in (I've never done an ITX build before, but yes I'm aware they can be difficult).

(3) Supports an optical drive (so I can put in movies that I've picked up over the years).

(4) Supports a standard-sized ATX power supply.

(5) Small - nothing that's essentially a Micro-ATX case (or larger).

My ideal shops to buy from are Canada Computers or Newegg. My first and thus far only online purchase was back in 2014 when I put together a list of parts for my current PC and bought it via Newegg. If not from them, I'd be buying local, and there's a Canada Computers not far from home. Oh, and I'm likely to be sticking with an APU for this system, if that's relevant at all.

Thanks!

Look at some Silverstone Cases.

RVZ-01-E, RVZ-03

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

@Stefan Payne It looks like the 03 doesn't support an optical drive inside the case, and I'm not finding any 01-e's to look them up. Am I missing something?

@herman mcpootis Yeah, it's one case I keep looking at. I'm just wondering whether there's other options I should be looking into.

4 hours ago, Mindstab Thrull said:

@Stefan Payne It looks like the 03 doesn't support an optical drive inside the case, and I'm not finding any 01-e's to look them up. Am I missing something?

Oh right, the 01-E also does not.

But can't you just use an external optical drive?? Those are dirt cheap, like this one:

https://geizhals.de/liteon-ebau108-schwarz-ebau108-11-a1024926.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

Just 20 bucks for it...

The RVZ-01 does support (Slim Slot In) optical drives, the others do not...

I jsut completed a buikd in the Fractal Design Core 500. Its a really good case

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

The RVZ-01 does support (Slim Slot In) optical drives, the others do not...

...but only supports SFX PSU, not ATX...

Silverstone SG08B, it's a bit above the price range but it seems like a good fit with it's slim optical drive bay. (Only found on amazon sadly :( )

The Elite 130 is solid otherwise and hard to beat for the price. These cases are about as small as you're going to be able to get with an ODD and a full sized PSU. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

At this point it seems to be the Elite 130 and the Fractal Design Core 500 are the main options to look at. Any other feedback?

@TVwazhere What's the difference between the 08B and the 08B-LITE? I keep finding LITE versions posted.

@Stefan Payne I really don't want to use an external drive. It looks less nice to me when it's not built in to the machine. And if I end up upgrading one of my current machines, I may take the PSU out and plug it into the mini case instead, so I'm less interested in SFX.

Thanks for the advice!

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

I decided on the Core 500. There's not a lot of difference between the two from my own point of view, so I went with one that supports 140mm fans - of which I have two that I raided from another case some time ago. Now the fun part: finding a motherboard. Looking at Ryzen with two or more fan headers not counting the CPU fan header. (Alternatively, a fan splitter has been suggested.) Looks like it's hard to find one that's even under $100 Canadian right now.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!