Help me decide - 12, 14 or 16mm borosilicate glass tubing

Go to solution Solved by Revan654,
On 3/12/2018 at 4:29 PM, Damascus said:

Im rebuilding my loop with glass, I'm moving away from 3/8" 5/8" soft tube, a diameter that I quite like.  Looking for some input before I buy my tube and fittings

12mm is tiny and looks ridiculous at times in certain cases. 13mm is the next size but only made by AlphaCool, it also forces you into only using AlphaCool fittings, 13mm is still kind of small. 14mm Unless you get tubing from a glass shop, I haven't seen any waterCool company make this size. Finally 16mm which in my opinion is the best size. Which also allows you to use any metric made fittings. Since almost every company makes 16mm fittings.

Mayhem's Glass is better then AlphaCool Produced Glass tubing. I suggest using Mayhem if you can over AlphaCool.

I use 16mm Glass tubing in my own build.

voy5g7tl.jpg?1

q5BQJQol.jpg

4YLubYMl.jpg

------

Next make sure you know how to cut glass, how to edge the sides so not to tear the o-Ring when it's being inserted. Finally but most importantly you have all proper safety gear. Glass dust can kill if it's inhaled.

Im rebuilding my loop with glass, I'm moving away from 3/8" 5/8" soft tube, a diameter that I quite like.  Looking for some input before I buy my tube and fittings

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

It's mainly aesthetics and what available you have, here is an example with 12mm OD and 16mm OD tubing. I find 16mm has pretty good proportions. 

Image result for ekwb hardline

as far as i know it will depend also what tubes you intend to use?

i have been looking at alphacool where the only difference is 1mm inner diameter (from 10 to 11) but 3mm outer diameter (from 13 to 16), so that would more have an impact on strength and weight, not so much flow rate (i ended up opting for brass tubes as they will look the best in my build)

My Gaming PC: 27833

Are you intending to glass bend or use fittings? Either way, you will have an easier time by not going with the largest, I find 12/13mm is the best aesthetically 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

25 minutes ago, W-L said:

It's mainly aesthetics and what available you have, here is an example with 12mm OD and 16mm OD tubing. I find 16mm has pretty good proportions. 

Image result for ekwb hardline

Thanks, that's great.  I may got for 14mm as 13 seems too small and 16 too big

14 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

as far as i know it will depend also what tubes you intend to use?

i have been looking at alphacool where the only difference is 1mm inner diameter (from 10 to 11) but 3mm outer diameter (from 13 to 16), so that would more have an impact on strength and weight, not so much flow rate (i ended up opting for brass tubes as they will look the best in my build)

This is a question in regards to tube, I'll choose my fittings based on that.

7 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Are you intending to glass bend or use fittings? Either way, you will have an easier time by not going with the largest, I find 12/13mm is the best aesthetically 

A lot of fittings :P

Do you have any good examples of a 12mm system?

9 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Thanks, that's great.  I may got for 14mm as 13 seems too small and 16 too big

This is a question in regards to tube, I'll choose my fittings based on that.

A lot of fittings :P

Do you have any good examples of a 12mm system?

not glass, mine is PETG and 13mm outer

eFVgGXU.jpg

PC is same, loop is different, infact quite different haha: Got an Alphacool Light Tower now and all the runs to and from the pump, lower 240mm rad and GPU have all been redone and/or swapped around to get better temps. The only tubes that are the same are the ones to/from the rear 120mm. I guess I need to update my photos, tbf I only did this in the last week or so 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

On 3/12/2018 at 4:29 PM, Damascus said:

12mm is tiny and looks ridiculous at times in certain cases. 13mm is the next size but only made by AlphaCool, it also forces you into only using AlphaCool fittings, 13mm is still kind of small. 14mm Unless you get tubing from a glass shop, I haven't seen any waterCool company make this size. Finally 16mm which in my opinion is the best size. Which also allows you to use any metric made fittings. Since almost every company makes 16mm fittings.

Mayhem's Glass is better then AlphaCool Produced Glass tubing. I suggest using Mayhem if you can over AlphaCool.

voy5g7tl.jpg?1

q5BQJQol.jpg

4YLubYMl.jpg

------

Next make sure you know how to cut glass, how to edge the sides so not to tear the o-Ring when it's being inserted. Finally but most importantly you have all proper safety gear. Glass dust can kill if it's inhaled.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

@Revan654 thanks, you've convinced me. 

• 4 years later...
On 3/15/2018 at 5:34 PM, Revan654 said:

voy5g7tl.jpg?1

q5BQJQol.jpg

4YLubYMl.jpg

------

That's pretty cool. Yeah, I am planning on doing a PETG mock-up, then using those fittings, to try and do glass. Um, and I want 16mm outer diameter, 12/16, because I think that it would be stronger, plus I think that it would look better, too. I prefer function before form. Hmm, should I get a Bunsin Burner, or do you know of an even hotter flame. I know of Oxygen and propane mixture. But that's a little involved (more expensive) I think.