Which one for my rig?

Leoram425

Alright so I made my first build and I've had it for a few months now. Its a pretty good rig in my opinion, not crazy good but pretty moderate. However i forgot to save money for a monitor so i had to use a friends 120$ monitor. Its alright for normal use but it can be very shitty to game on. It glitches sometimes and every now and then it looks like a part of a frame or something overlaps another while playing i think its called an artifact or something like that(point is it happens a lot and its quite annoying). I don't know much about monitors and need help choosing one. I plan to keep my current monitor and keep it as a second one. My budget is around 300$ willing to go a bit over that. My build is a Gtx 1060 6gb, Ryzen 5 1600,and 8 gbs of ddr4 3200 ram. If anyone needs any other specs then just ask. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Leoram425 said:

Alright so I made my first build and I've had it for a few months now. Its a pretty good rig in my opinion, not crazy good but pretty moderate. However i forgot to save money for a monitor so i had to use a friends 120$ monitor. Its alright for normal use but it can be very shitty to game on. It glitches sometimes and every now and then it looks like a part of a frame or something overlaps another while playing i think its called an artifact or something like that(point is it happens a lot and its quite annoying). I don't know much about monitors and need help choosing one. I plan to keep my current monitor and keep it as a second one. My budget is around 300$ willing to go a bit over that. My build is a Gtx 1060 6gb, Ryzen 5 1600,and 8 gbs of ddr4 3200 ram. If anyone needs any other specs then just ask. Thanks!

what you describe is commonly known as ''Screen Tearing'' this happens whenever the refresh rate of the monitor (typically 60hz) is not in sync with the frames that are being pushed by the GPU. The way to fix this is to turn Vsync ON that way your GPU will be limited to rendering 60 frames per second and the monitor which refresh at 60hz (60 times per second) will always only display full rendered frames, screen tearing is then eliminated...

BUT...Vsync will introduce what is called ''input lag'' so the controls will not feel as great, especially if you play with a keyboard and mouse it's quite noticeable...so for some (many) games Vsync is a no go either.

For that reason, AMD and Nvidia came out with monitors that have Variable Refresh rate techonlogies built in them...they are called ''Freesync'' for AMD, work only on AMD GPU's and Nvidia has their called Gsync...work only with Nvidia GPU's.

What that does is it allows the monitor to vary it's refresh rate to match the rate at which the GPU is pushing the frames out...every time the GPU has a full frame in the pipeline ready to go, the monitor refresh and display that full frame...this does completely eliminate screen tearing and it also eliminate input lag...so with that everything feel smoother and faster.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

You shouldn't be getting this sort of thing happening with your specs, so it is likely the monitor itself. If you can, try another monitor and see if it still happens. If you do need another monitor, for your budget you can get hold of a 144Hz IPS panel, or even a 27" IPS 4K panel (though that's not so great necessarily for just gaming).

2 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

what you describe is commonly known as ''Screen Tearing'' this happens whenever the refresh rate of the monitor (typically 60hz) is not in sync with the frames that are being pushed by the GPU. The way to fix this is to turn Vsync ON that way your GPU will be limited to rendering 60 frames per second and the monitor which refresh at 60hz (60 times per second) will always only display full rendered frames, screen tearing is then eliminated...

BUT...Vsync will introduce what is called ''input lag'' so the controls will not feel as great, especially if you play with a keyboard and mouse it's quite noticeable...so for some (many) games Vsync is a no go either.

For that reason, AMD and Nvidia came out with monitors that have Variable Refresh rate techonlogies built in them...they are called ''Freesync'' for AMD, work only on AMD GPU's and Nvidia has their called Gsync...work only with Nvidia GPU's.

What that does is it allows the monitor to vary it's refresh rate to match the rate at which the GPU is pushing the frames out...every time the GPU has a full frame in the pipeline ready to go, the monitor refresh and display that full frame...this does completely eliminate screen tearing and it also eliminate input lag...so with that everything feel smoother and faster.

Thanks man but do you know any specific monitors I could get within that budget range or you have any recommendations with the gsync?

1 hour ago, johnukguy said:

You shouldn't be getting this sort of thing happening with your specs, so it is likely the monitor itself. If you can, try another monitor and see if it still happens. If you do need another monitor, for your budget you can get hold of a 144Hz IPS panel, or even a 27" IPS 4K panel (though that's not so great necessarily for just gaming).

You know any specific monitors bc I’ve been looking for some time now and I can’t find a monitor like the one you suggested

9 minutes ago, Leoram425 said:

Thanks man but do you know any specific monitors I could get within that budget range or you have any recommendations with the gsync?

GTX 1060 6GB personally i would indeed look for a high-refresh rate 1080p Gsync monitor like this one for example...for gaming with that card this is excellent:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4cbkcf/acer-monitor-xb241h

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

18 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

GTX 1060 6GB personally i would indeed look for a high-refresh rate 1080p Gsync monitor like this one for example...for gaming with that card this is excellent:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4cbkcf/acer-monitor-xb241h

Nice but do you think with my card i could go for 1440p like this one? Or do you think the best way to go is the one you listed?  https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg 

28 minutes ago, Leoram425 said:

Nice but do you think with my card i could go for 1440p like this one? Or do you think the best way to go is the one you listed?  https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg 

i think i would get the 1440p if it was around the same price, i would tune the settings and upgrade GPU later...especially if the games you play arent all top end demanding games, yeah.

1440p is better at 27'' though..but those are more expensive.

On 3/12/2018 at 1:04 PM, Leoram425 said:

You know any specific monitors bc I’ve been looking for some time now and I can’t find a monitor like the one you suggested

If you mean the 4K one that's less than $250, it's this one: