CPU Usage Averaging 75-85% in CSGO

jewishdolphins

The Issue:

I'm having serious CPU usage issues in Counter Strike. I am averaging around 75-85% cpu usage. I used MSI Afterburner and task manager and noticed that all my temperatures were fine (cpu and gpu) and gpu usage is fine too...but for some reason my cpu usage goes really high when im playing a counter strike game.

The reason why this concerns me is because:
1) I know people who have nearly the same specs as me and are averaging way below 75% cpu usage.
2) After a long time of playing, I notice that my cpu begins throttling and the fps start to become very very inconsistent...
3) When I try doing any other additional multitasking (i.e. play music on spotify or talk to people on discord) my CS:GO gaming experience becomes nearly unplayable.
4) I can open like 10 twitch streams and play other games while still averaging less cpu usage than what I'm getting with CS:GO right now.

Things to take note of:
- I already reinstalled CS:GO

- I optimized my in-game config to increase fps

- I have always had CS:GO running on high-priority 

- I have always had "Asus-optimal" option selected in my Bios to increase the PC's performance.

If someone can please take the time to read all this and give me suggestions as to how I can minimize my cpu usage in CSGO, that would be amazing. Also, please remember that I already checked temperatures and they all seem to be average for both cpu and gpu.

SPECS:
Power Supply: Corsair CX750
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A
CPU: Intel i5-4690k (3.5 ghz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance (16 gigs)
Hard Drive: 1TB HDD & Intel 240 Gig SSD
Video Card: GeForce GTX 1070
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144HZ Monitor

If your CPU is throttling that means your cooling is bad, not that you need to reduce the usage.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

If your CPU is throttling that means your cooling is bad, not that you need to reduce the usage.

how could that be true if im getting around 40C?

1 minute ago, jewishdolphins said:

how could that be true if im getting around 40C?

You said "cpu begins throttling"

Throttling happens because of high temps.

Either you're reading your temps wrong or the CPU is not throttling.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

You said "cpu begins throttling"

Throttling happens because of high temps.

Either you're reading your temps wrong or the CPU is not throttling.

well when the usage maxes out it begins dropping frames. Happens rarely but averaging 75-80 usage is pretty high for just 1 program.

1 minute ago, jewishdolphins said:

well when the usage maxes out it begins dropping frames. Happens rarely but averaging 75-80 usage is pretty high for just 1 program.

Well, first of all that is not called throttling.

Second, the 4690k is only a 4 core CPU and it is really easy for a program to use it close to 100%.

Third, maybe you have other stuff in the background using some of the CPU and not just your game.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Well, first of all that is not called throttling.

Second, the 4690k is only a 4 core CPU and it is really easy for a program to use it close to 100%.

Third, maybe you have other stuff in the background using some of the CPU and not just your game.

i dunno, i just heard throttling is when your pc slows down or fps reduces in order to prevent my pc from going crazy.

also, I definitely do not. I have task manager open and it's just cs:go taking up everything...everything besides csgo only takes up ~4% usage.

2 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

i dunno, i just heard throttling is when your pc slows down or fps reduces in order to prevent my pc from going crazy.

also, I definitely do not. I have task manager open and it's just cs:go taking up everything...everything besides csgo only takes up ~4% usage.

Well then that's because your GPU is a lot more powerful than your CPU and your CPU is becoming the bottleneck.

Spoiler

so in other words, there's absolutely no solutions except for upgrading?...I honestly don't see why a $300 CPU can't run a game like csgo without going over 70% usage...

10 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

so in other words, there's absolutely no solutions except for upgrading?...I honestly don't see why a $300 CPU can't run a game like csgo without going over 70% usage...

Just cap your frame rate to like 60fps if you don't want it to use all of your CPU

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

13 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

Well you have a $240 CPU from 4 years ago lol so thats why. It was the go-to "this is all you need to game" chip back then and it has held up well for the most part but it slows down the top tier GPUs of today. My i7 is basically the same thing as your i5 with hyperthreading, and I can hit 80-90% overall usage during intense PUBG and an i5 would just drop hella frames in the same scenario. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Some real misinformation in this thread. 

a.) The 4690K is MORE than capable for running CSGO and Spotify, Discord etc, even at stock clocks. It's still fine for gaming in 2018.

b.)

1 hour ago, jewishdolphins said:

After a long time of playing, I notice that my cpu begins throttling and the fps start to become very very inconsistent...

What do you mean by throttling? If temps are okay, it shouldn't throttle. 

Do a favor for me, run a Cinebench CPU benchmark and tell me your results: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6709-cinebench.html

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Corsair H100i Pro | ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2x16gb @ 3200mhz  | Vega 64 @ Stock | Fractal Design Define R4 | Corsair RM750

ThinkPad T480 | Intel Core i7 8650u | Nvidia MX150 | 32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz | Samsung 840 Pro 1tb | 1080p touchscreen