Windows 7 "svchost.exe". Help needed...

Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

svchost.exe is a platform/foundation of sorts that a program can register to to become a service. Basically, making a Windows Service has a lot of challenges, mostly security, power consumption (consider Windows powered tablets and laptops), and also needs lots of requirements.The service svchost provide that foundation for simple services, where only basic tasks are needed. Windows itself uses it for many things. That is why you have you have sooo many svchost.exe. And in fact, Windows 8.1 and older OSs, some of them regroups several services. Since Windows 10 version 1703, if you have the RAM, Windows won't regroup anymore.. so now you have even more svchost.exe that appears in the Task manager. The purpose of that, is that it allows you to identify exactly which service has a memory leak, or consuming CPU like crazy, and you can better troubleshoot the problem. It also adds even more security, as a compromised service within a group can no longer be an open door to attack another service o that group with ease. It also allows to restart a specific service (say it crashes), without affecting other services within the group.

So while in 10, the Task Manager under "Processes" tell you with a nice name, which svchost.exe is, like so:

Capture.PNG.908b109a85e8f4b0300229d02f09c76e.PNG

In your case, under Windows 7, you need to show the column "Command Line", under the Detail pane, and see, based on that, what the service(s) possibly is. Also, it is an easy way to know if you don't have malware that is called svchost.exe, but isn't the real one under system32. 

To show the Command Line column, simply, under the Details tab, right-click on the columns headers section, and pick "Select Column", a small panel will open, inside it, check the box called "Command Line", and pick OK. It will now be displayed.

I got this svchost.exe running at all times even though I turned windows updates off completely via services.msc and control panel. I believe it's a memory leak error because the ram that is used by this background program keeps increasing steadily...

Is this normal?

WuVlHuh.jpg

Su15O8T.jpg

Consuming a shitload of RAM and having multiple instances...is it fine?

Things I've tried:

- installed ~185 updates successfully

- completely disabled Windows Update service in services.msc

- reinstalled windows completely (format and then fresh install)

Now, my biggest problem is that I had this exact same Windows 7 CD installed on this machine (a week ago or so) and I clearly remember not having this memory leak error, ... or whatever the hell it is. Due to the fact that I had received a legit copy of Windows 8 from my bro - me thinking it would be better than Win7 - I installed it on my PC...which was a big mistake, because it sucks. So then I uninstalled it and installed Windows 7 again. And now I'm having to deal with this uh...svchost crap. It was present before updates too so...it wasn't caused by the updates. 

Why am I having this error? Any ideas? You can see my PC's components in my signature. My current Windows 7 build is 7601 totally legit from Microsoft, activated, updated.

'Windows 7 Pro x64 ENG'

Any help pls?

CPU i5-4460 @ 3.2 ghzMotherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7RAM 32gb Corsair Vengance 1600mhzGPU GTX-750 TICase Carbide 400R | SSD Plextor M8Pe(Y) 256gb NVME | SSHD Barracuda 1TB PSU CX430Display LG 29UM55-P Ultrawide | Keyboard Trust 3-way LEDMouse Razer Death Adder V2 Left Handed | Speakers Genius SW-HF 5.1 6000Headset Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO | Sound Card Xonar Essence STXIIOS Windows 8.1 x64 Professional, build 9600 | Theme(s) Windows 7, Vista & Aero from DeviantArt

Try deleting system32 folders 

Spoiler

Don’t do it, I’m just joking.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

Try deleting system32 folders 

Hide contents

Don’t do it, I’m just joking.

Dude I've been effin around with installing windows for almost a day...reinstalled this crap twice, installed dumb-ass updates idk how many times and I'm f@#kin pissed at Microsoft now. -.-

CPU i5-4460 @ 3.2 ghzMotherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7RAM 32gb Corsair Vengance 1600mhzGPU GTX-750 TICase Carbide 400R | SSD Plextor M8Pe(Y) 256gb NVME | SSHD Barracuda 1TB PSU CX430Display LG 29UM55-P Ultrawide | Keyboard Trust 3-way LEDMouse Razer Death Adder V2 Left Handed | Speakers Genius SW-HF 5.1 6000Headset Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO | Sound Card Xonar Essence STXIIOS Windows 8.1 x64 Professional, build 9600 | Theme(s) Windows 7, Vista & Aero from DeviantArt

Just now, KieuVanQuan said:

Dude I've been effin around with installing windows for almost a day...reinstalled this crap twice, installed dumb-ass updates idk how many times and I'm f@#kin pissed at Microsoft now. -.-

where is it located?

if the svchost is located on system32, it's not a virus but if its located on other folder delete it immediately

1 minute ago, KieuVanQuan said:

It's probably just the search indexer or superfetch doing stuff, should go away after a day or 2.

1 minute ago, Straxxus said:

It's probably just the search indexer or superfetch doing stuff, should go away after a day or 2.

That might make sense. I don't know about that tbh.

1 minute ago, GreenXpqser said:

where is it located?

if the svchost is located on system32, it's not a virus but if its located on other folder delete it immediately

System32. :(

5 minutes ago, KieuVanQuan said:

Use Linux like me then. Nuke winblows from your drive and get some good user friendly distro on there like Ubuntu, deepin, or mint. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

Use Linux like me then. Nuke winblows from your drive and get some good user friendly distro on there like Ubuntu, deepin, or mint. 

I would, bruh, I would. But a lot of programs only support windows. I'm honestly fed up with Microsoft's shit.

svchost.exe is a platform/foundation of sorts that a program can register to to become a service. Basically, making a Windows Service has a lot of challenges, mostly security, power consumption (consider Windows powered tablets and laptops), and also needs lots of requirements.The service svchost provide that foundation for simple services, where only basic tasks are needed. Windows itself uses it for many things. That is why you have you have sooo many svchost.exe. And in fact, Windows 8.1 and older OSs, some of them regroups several services. Since Windows 10 version 1703, if you have the RAM, Windows won't regroup anymore.. so now you have even more svchost.exe that appears in the Task manager. The purpose of that, is that it allows you to identify exactly which service has a memory leak, or consuming CPU like crazy, and you can better troubleshoot the problem. It also adds even more security, as a compromised service within a group can no longer be an open door to attack another service o that group with ease. It also allows to restart a specific service (say it crashes), without affecting other services within the group.

So while in 10, the Task Manager under "Processes" tell you with a nice name, which svchost.exe is, like so:

In your case, under Windows 7, you need to show the column "Command Line", under the Detail pane, and see, based on that, what the service(s) possibly is. Also, it is an easy way to know if you don't have malware that is called svchost.exe, but isn't the real one under system32. 

To show the Command Line column, simply, under the Details tab, right-click on the columns headers section, and pick "Select Column", a small panel will open, inside it, check the box called "Command Line", and pick OK. It will now be displayed.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Damn, you seem to know it all, dog. I love you. I've been searching the net for eternity to find out what exactly svchost does.